1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Major and SF still going at it. Good, this thread as been boring otherwise.

2. Major

Major Member

The difference, of course, is that all those other teams were in mid-season and had interim coaches in place. Almost all of them hired a coach within days of the season ending. Even if they identified a replacement earlier, they weren't going to hire a new coach while they had an acting head coach.

Notice only 2 went beyond December 15th, and both of those were unique circumstances. BYU's coach was a completely unexpected departure, and UTSA's coach didn't leave until January. Both were much quicker searches than Texas.

The fact that you can't find a single reasonable comparable - and the need to point to strawmen of mid-season changes to make your argument - says it all. But good job finding or creating an irrelevant spreadsheet.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good lord, you really are the gift that keeps on giving.

First you are distinguishing "midseason" from "postseason"

Fine and dandy, but guess what...when Mack Brown resigned on Dec 15.... the season was not over .

Rather., he stayed on for 15 more days and coached the Alamo Bowl on December 30.

4 days later, or as you put it "within days of the season ending"...Strong was announced

I know that you are smart enough to understand the basics of sample size, deviation and such so not going to bother with that.

So my question is no longer about the merits- the data is there for everyone to peruse, it says all it needs to say about what you claim is a comparative "eternity'; every situation is unique. The most obvious takeaway from the data is that most coaches are gone by November...something that didn't happen in this and rendering dubious your comparisons.

Another takeaway is that vacancies that are filled very quickly generally involve either an assistant somewhere being promoted or an unemployed coach being hired, lateral moves tend to take longer (as one would expect intuitively due to buyouts etc)

My question more importantly is why are you such a b**** that you can never admit you misspoke in front of a bunch of internet strangers?

Seriously what is wrong with you? Have you ever walked back a single statement here? I myself have probably been wrong hundreds of times. It happens.

But instead I guess out of pathology/animosity, you're willing to go down with the ship here to try to spite me, by taking the side of notorious aggie troll Ziggy and his dipsh-t argument that Texas hired Strong after having numerous offers rejected.

Ok, believe whatever you want. Or have a drink and relax.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Careful. I got an infraction for profanity and inappropriate language from Castor for saying less to Bobby if I remember right.

#6844 Brando2101, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. Brando2101

Last year was good but there was a lot of "wait till signing day tweets" alluding to big gains. Everyone presumed it was about kyler Murray which would domino in Daylon Mack who had decommitee to A&M, Lodge and someone else. Looking at it now, I'm most bummed we didn't get Mack. He is a beast.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Damn SF, you're really gonna let Major rustle your jimmies like that?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/...pands-on-Texas-Longhorns-commitment--43215352

Did his parents really name him Lil'Jordan???

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Alright, I'm confused. Major said that teams don't want to go past a certain date to fill their coaching positions, which I agree with. So, why are you saying he's wrong? I'm not following.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Just picked up a surprise commitment in Kyle Porter out of Katy. Thought was that we may be without a RB in this class but Porter is a hell of a pickup.

10. Brando2101

Katy HS Running Back Kyle Porter Commits to Texas

http://247sports.com/Player/Kyle-Porter-37371

There are 13 recruits Texas is still hoping for but I think they have a realistic shot at 3-4 of them. The big catch will be Safety Brandon Jones who is choosing between Texas, Baylor and A&M. Most people think he's going to go to the Aggs.

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I think you'll be happy when we pick up way more than 3-4. Brandon Jones, Erick Fowler, and Patrick Hudson are the toss ups, in my opinion.

12. Bob Barker 007

Christmas is coming tonight :p:grin::cool::eek:

13. Bob Barker 007

You have the odds all wrong. Hustle is more likely correct than you are. I would say at least 6 commits (including Christmas), and up to 12 commits is possible.

14. Brando2101

I mean maybe. Recruiting websites seem to think so (I read 247). It's just that all of this info is based on twitter accounts and conversations with 18 year olds. There are no odds. It's just educated (or experienced) feelings.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Jones and Fowler seem to be UT leans. Don't see Hudson happening. FSU seems confident on Dontavius Jackson and Stephon Taylor is trending USCar. Elliott, Christmas, Daniels, McCulloch, Brown, and probably Southall would be shockers if they ended up anywhere but Austin.

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

That's not entirely true, but I definitely understand your sentiment. The more professional sites like 247 (and especially Texas 247) have staffs that have been doing this for years and generally have a good handle on how recruits feel. Obviously, there is still some ridiculous garbage out there, even on the best sites. All of that said, the current level of optimism is unprecedented across all fronts. I think it bodes well for Christmas tonight and tomorrow.

17. Brando2101

I hope so. Brandon Jones is a "Coin Flip" according to Tx Aggs which bodes well for us. He would be a tremendous pickup. I hope they can play some of these defensive lineman at defensive end because that seems to be a high percentage of recruits.

18. Brando2101

1 person likes this.
  19. Bob Barker 007

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YvI_FNrczzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Any QBs coming?

DD