1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Rummer swirling online that Otaro Alaka is about to decommit and switch his commitment to A&M

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

from where?

3. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

He took an official visit to A&M over the weekend, is visiting LSU next weekend, and might take an official visit to old miss as well.

Rivals has several stories on it.

4. Brando2101

I'm not sure how close we ever were but Texas looses out on 4 start recruit Solomon Thomas.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I want to thank Texas for giving the privilege to have them as a choice. Coach Strong and his staff are very impressive. Thank you.God Bless</p>&mdash; Solomon Thomas (@SollyThomas90) <a href="https://twitter.com/SollyThomas90/statuses/425445221229281280">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Let's just say that if this were 2010, Thomas would be a Longhorn. I would be highly shocked if this kid isn't at least an all-conference player at Stanford. Wish he were a Horn.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

7. Brando2101

Ok pickup. Not really ranked by anyone but maybe Wickline can develop him.

What are you implying? Those were good years. #3 in 2010 and 11, #2 in 2012. Hope those guys have a good year.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Just saying that this is the kind of kid we would have pulled in without a doubt back then.

9. crash5179

Still keeping my fingers crossed for Otaro Alaka. I think he could be a stud. He visited A&M this past weekend and they were not able to flip him. He is still commited to UT for now. He has a visit to LSU and both Charlie Strong and Kevin Sumlin are supposed to visit him on Thursday.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sumlin is gonna show up drunk on a helicopter after a 9-hole round of golf and sweet talk that guy into rebuilding the "wrecking crew" (lulz) with Hoza Scott (can he read?). Strong is gonna be all, "no laughing, no movies, no cell phones, no girls, no 6th Street, no video games"

No chance.

11. DwightHoward13

What a great basketball game!!! I went to this game and the one on Saturday against Iowa State. Cannot wait to head up to Waco for the game on Saturday!

12. crash5179

Watched most of that game last night. It looked it was going into overtime but then Holmes his that great corner three! I think what I loved most was when they showed the KState coach get up and hit his chair in anger. Great Winford then Horns. IF they can beat Baylor in their next game, they should find themselves ranked in the top 25 if not the top 20.

13. updawg

updawg Member

I went last night as well, great game

14. crash5179

Here is a nice article on where UT is with recruiting at this point.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24419873/class-snapshot-texas

Here is a list of the 2014 Commits. Signing day is February 5th so stuff can change.

http://texas.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits

15. crash5179

I found this on Bleacher Report which I know some people absolutely hate, but it’s just opinion based. They ranked the top 10 Bowl Games of the BCS Era. UT finished with 3 of the top 10 with the UT/USC Championship Game finishing number 1. Personally I thought that game was one of the all time great games that I have ever watched and deserves to be number 1 IMO.

The list was compiled back in May so I would guess the FSU/Auburn game would be in there somewhere very close to the top. IMO it was not better than the UT/USC game but I admit to bing a biased UT fan. Here are the UT entries:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-10-best-bowl-games-of-the-bcs-era/page/3

Number 10

Final Score: Texas 24, Ohio State 21
    [​IMG]

Player of the Game: Texas WR Quan Cosby, 14 receptions for 171 yards and a touchdown
    This game was slow in the first half, as the Ohio State defense dictated the pace of the game, holding a potent Texas offense to only three points in the half.
    Then Colt McCoy got rolling in the third quarter, running for a 14-yard touchdown, then following that up with a seven-yard pass to put Texas up, 17-6.
    OSU responded with 15 straight points in the fourth quarter to take the lead before McCoy capped off a 78-yard drive with a touchdown pass to Cosby to take the lead for good with 16 seconds left to play.
    Texas' defense delivered on the Buckeyes' final drive, as a sack by Brian Orakpo broke up the final attempt at a "Hail Mary.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-10-best-bowl-games-of-the-bcs-era/page/6

Number 7

Final Score: Texas 38, Michigan 37

[​IMG]

Player of the Game: Michigan KR/WR Steve Breaston finished the game with a Rose Bowl-record 315 all-purpose yards*
    In spite of Michigan wide receiver Steve Breaston and his Rose Bowl-record 315 all-purpose yards, the Wolverines fell just short against the Longhorns.
    Vince Young scored four rushing touchdowns and racked up 192 yards on the ground, and he also gained 180 through the air while tossing a touchdown.
    Texas went into the third quarter down by 10, while Michigan quarterback Chad Henne had already tossed a Rose Bowl-record four touchdown passes.
    But it was all Texas in the fourth, as the Longhorns scored 17 in the quarter to Michigan's six, pulling out the win with a field goal as time expired.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-10-best-bowl-games-of-the-bcs-era/page/12

Number 1

Final Score: Texas 41, USC 38

[​IMG]

Player of the Game: Texas QB Vince Young, 30-of-40 for 267 yards, 19 rushes for 200 yards and three touchdowns.
    Argue, if you will, but this game, featuring an incredible performance from Texas quarterback Vince Young, finds itself atop these rankings.
    Defensive purists might disagree, as the game featured over 1,100 yards of offense, but there has not been a more entertaining BCS game than this one.
    USC appeared to have the game in hand late in the fourth quarter, up 12 points.
    But then Young worked his magic, scampering into the end zone with 4:03 left in the game to bring the Longhorns within striking distance.
    Texas' defense stopped the Trojans on fourth down, and Young led Texas on a 10-play, 56-yard drive that resulted in his eight-yard touchdown run on fourth down for the winning score.
    Young racked up a ridiculous 467 yards of offense and scored three times on the ground to carry the Longhorns to the win, in spite of the best efforts of USC running backs Reggie Bush and LenDale White.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So we got that skinny jabroni linebacker y'all were praying for? Didn't even want him. He'll be working at the Freebirds probably. Skinny guy like that in the SEC? :cool:

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

^^^ Just goes to show you how dominant Vince Young was in college. One of the all-time greats. Now broke and out of the league sad. Those two rose bowl games were amazing.

18. Brando2101

Now you're just being annoying.

19. Brando2101

Didn't 2 aggies get arrested a month ago? Thought about posting but didn't care enough to go in someone else's thread and drop bad news.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who cares if people get arrested? Kids get arrested. Even Heisman hopefuls that nobody has heard of. It happens. Nobody cares. You've got RG3 accused or rape, Manziel getting into fights and signing autographs (and being a douche) and Winston being accused of rape. Next guy up better have some "bad boy" in him.

If I cant come in here and drag my ass on the carpet like a bad dog because we gig'd some jarboni recruit away from Disney then y'all need some thicker skin. What do you want me to do, come in here and apologize for drinking UT's milkshake? Lulz.