1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Welp. Sucks for UT basketball.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Talk about a huge fall from Grace. Ceiling was really limitless for him here, he’ll be lucky to be at a mid-major in 2-3 years.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It will be really interesting to see where he ends up.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i don't know where he goes from here. Not sure when the book with be closed with his incident but who wants to be that one team to be the one to hire him and are prepared to take on the potential backlash.

regardless an excellent coach without a team right now. Sucks

Is there a consensus from the UT fans side of coaches that come to mind that should be the next coach?

#944 YOLO, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I would prefer we just promote one of his assistants.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of fans seem to think that Royal Ivey would be a good coach (former Longhorn, doing well as an assistant in Brooklyn) and that he didn't get a fair shot during his last interview because CDC was dead-set on hiring Beard.

The team has the money and facilities to attract a top-tier coach. They should at least make a phone call to Jay Wright and see if there's a number that would entice him back into coaching.

YOLO likes this.
  7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Terry seems more than capable, correct?

And man what a kick to the nuts. Not my alma mater but my wife's and now that I live here it was awesome having a kick ass brand new arena to watch a legit top 10 program w a seemingly endless runway.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah I personally would steer away from anyone on the current staff. They're not it. Forgot about Jay Wright but he seems set on retirement I would think.

9. gucci888

Can’t see them handing over the keys to Ivey. This program is ripe for a run with the right coach so think they’ll swing for the fences.

Few names I’ve seen mentioned:

Eric Musselman - Arkansas
    Nate Oats - Alabama
    Jerome Tang - Kansas State

mtbrays likes this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I give Texas a TON of credit for doing the right thing. Beard is a scumbag, but he is a damn good coach.

11. gucci888

Why? Honest question.

Unless Terry shows out which he very well could, no reason not to go after the best candidates. The basketball program has more to offer a HC now than any other time in school history IMO.

#951 gucci888, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    mtbrays likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I saw that. Everyone made a huge deal out of Alabama stomping Kentucky last weekend....and Alabama is REALLY REALLY good, so I don't mean to suggest otherwise....but beating Kentucky isn't a great feat at this point. It's not the kind of signature win that it once was.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Kentucky was supposed to be a top 10 team this year per their usual recruiting hype. Even rated as high as top 5 with this years class. And they have the 23" class that is supposed to be one of his best ever. rated #1. It just goes to show things like this don't go as well as they're anticipated for a lot of these big programs anymore

But just wondering if UT fans would want Calipari

MadMax likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Not me.

16. Buck Turgidson

Missed the UH game (should have recorded it) but UT-TCU last night was something to see.

UT rediscovered their defense in the 2nd half. BigX? is just ridiculous, wish UH was mixing it up with them this season.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BitterWhiteGuy compared him to Jimbo Fisher: a guy who recruited really well under the old rules, but has lost his fastball with NIL and might get worse when the NBA does away with the age requirement.

18. gucci888

Decent comparison. Calipari has commits from 4 of the Top 10 recruits in the 2023 class so not sure recruiting is the issue. But like Jimbo, the game is seemingly passing them by.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Good lord the BigX? is ridiculous. TCU just curbstomped #2 Kansas, in Lawrence. Game was over after 10 minutes.

20. Bob Barker 007

I am not a fan of Rodney Terry's coaching and would not want to see him try to manage the program next year when we don't return anyone. Give me pretty much anyone else: Musselman, Oats, Lloyd, Calipari, Pat Kelsey