1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I really don't know honestly.

I will say the information we know is not good.

911 was called to his house at 2:30 am Sunday night.

Beard was not booked until over two hours later.

He is being charged with a felony, assault against a family member.

There are reports he had his hand around someone's neck.

I suspect that he was involved in a physical fight with his wife based on the age of his children.

The fact that he was not booked for over 2.5 hours usually means they were at the scene of the even a long time.

Were they attempting to negotiate with him? Were they just being extremely careful because of who he is?

Most likely his wife will refuse to testify against him.... they will claim it was an isolated event and alcohol abuse was involved, or the blame will be shifted to his wife.

I am sure he and his lawyers are trying to figure out how to save his job.... he has a very good team and a very good class lined up. He is on the cusp of establishing a top program.... and I am sure Beard, the players and the university are trying to figure out how to salvage all of this.

raining threes and MadMax like this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Delete

#902 gucci888, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. i3artow i3aller

#906 i3artow i3aller, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    raining threes likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you nailed it. exactly what i thought once i read this whole story at about 2 pm today

Nook likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

8. MystikArkitect

Wife watches *a lot* of murder mysteries and crime stuff. Domestive violence comes up a lot. No prior offenses and the fact that she went up and snapped his glasses in half....seems like the dude had enough and snapped. She mentioned that a domestic abuse victim lives in fear of their abuser. They don't antagonize them and would never do anything thay even would remotely set them off. The fact that she did that seems like she pushed him over the edge.

I have friends in similar marriages. I actually fear that this will happen with them. They take it and take it and take it until they can't. Then boom.

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Nook

Nook Member

You don't ever put your hands on a woman.

That is a boundary that you do not cross.

If they are "antagonizing" you and you cannot deal with it, you leave and if it is bad enough, you separate and divorce.

If a man resorts to violence, then it is on him. It is just something you do not do.

raining threes, Newlin and solid like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I guess Rusty Hardin was in the restroom when Beard called.

ElPigto, raining threes and theDude like this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Agreed. Just doesn't seem to me like he had a history of abuse or anything of that nature. Some men are of the belief that if you lay hands on a man then you're ripe to recieve a physical reaction. If a woman lays hands on you, always always always walk away. Always.

We'll see what comes out. He says he has recordings. Either way, his reaction was beyond stupid.

Nook likes this.
  13. raining threes

Even if she hits you, you've gotta be able to walk away.

The jails are full of men who couldn't walk away.

Hopefully Beard isn't one of those guys.

Nook likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not sure about this. You have a right to defend yourself. If the woman is attacking you, you need to protect your life.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Define attacking you?

smashing a glass lamp on your face or an iron to the face? Do what you have to do, so you can leave the situation.

A woman is slapping at you or punching you? Walk by her and leave.... NOTHING good ever comes out of a man hitting a woman or claiming self defense. The presumption is always against the man.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly.

17. raining threes

Well said by a man who knows.

There are guys in jail that have had your 1st example done to them.

Gotta get out of the situation.

18. Major

Major Member

Only way I see him getting out of this from a coaching perspective is if there's credible evidence that she's the abusive one and somehow his actions were a fight that got out of control but he wasn't the instigator. Even if she wont cooperate on charges, if the facts as we know them hold up and there's nothing mitigating, it's hard for me to see UT saying "come on back". He told the police he had recordings that showed that it wasn't his fault.... but also wouldn't let the police hear them, which seems extremely stupid if you want to avoid getting arrested in the moment. I suspect he's coached his last game at UT, but we'll see.