1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Shaka Smart should be fired today – I don’t want that mf anywhere near the 40 Acres. Make Yaklich interim head coach.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no juice to this program. They can’t shoot, they can’t defend and they don’t even know where to be on the court. It’s abysmal to watch.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Shaka should be on the next Greyhound out of Austin.

4. Buck Turgidson

This has totally boggled my ****ing mind since his first year.

Gets big men left and right, can't recruit guards/wings who can shoot for ****.

I still don't get it.

5. Buck Turgidson

Oh, and if you're ever bored and want to go watch a HS game, catch Vandergrift just so you can say you saw Greg Brown III. He's worth it.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

247sports thinks he's a strong likelihood of landing at UT.

Is this why Shaka is still here?

I'm not sure why it matters, though... Shaka won't have him or the rest of the team coached well enough. Plus one would suspect if he commits to UT, it's because of UT, not Shaka.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Not sure why he would go to UT instead of Duke/Kansas/whoever...but he's a freak. KD/Carmelo freshman impact.

King1 likes this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

Makes you wonder how Shaka was able to make VCU so successful... he was the young coaching darling of the country for a period of time there... the shine has really worn off... Its cool we've had like like 4 centers drafted in the 1st round under his watch but I'd prefer some better college basketball results.

9. HTM

HTM Member

Maybe our monetary offer is competitive + hometown

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Final few minutes vs Kansas was pure crap. Horns couldn't make a shot (FTs included smh) and got few stops. Horns were only down 2 late and had legit shot but they couldn't make a shot down stretch.

11. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Chiming in to say that any day that Shaka isn't fired is another day this program slides into complete and utter irrelevance. The state of this team, after losing by 40 to West Virginia tonight, has caught the attention of alumni:

Maybe Del Conte will wake up when Kevin Durant starts tweeting.

I know we aren't a basketball school. But there were times that we were ranked #1 overall when I was in school and I've always felt the potential to turn this program into something worthwhile was there. However, it's always been fits and starts. Shaka was a consensus great hire, but the administration's support of him is going to kill any interest in this program before the Moody Center opens. I have tickets to the home game against Baylor in a couple of weeks and I expect the Erwin Center will be drowning in Dr. Pepper.

#591 mtbrays, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    tinman and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There is really no legitimate reason not to give Yaklich a shot to turn the season around.

mtbrays likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Yep, and Del Conte has his work cut out for him turning the damn program around.

gucci888 likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Absolutely. Somewhat of a stunner he even took the job here.... I mean I get that he was probably on his way out by virtue of Belein leaving and Mich hiring Juwan, but still... would have thought he'd been a hotter name.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall....

Giving him a shot RIGHT NOW makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways.

Of course, I guess you could say hasn't he been part of this season's under-performance?

gucci888 likes this.
  15. gucci888

Right. To me, Shaka is done so that $10M is down the drain. Guess the question for CDC is whether he wants to add another $4-$6M to buyout the next coach or at least give Yaklich a shot to saving you that money.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaka must go
    We need to hire a proven big program and big name coach

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Shaka was probably my favorite hire UT has ever made in my lifetime. Then he followed it up with an amazing first season.

Then the wheels completely came off, I'm shocked at just how ineffective he has been. I'm also flabbergasted that a school with the resources of Texas hasn't been able to field a team with even decent shooters in a decade. Everybody and their mother likes to let it fly these days and we can't wrangle even a couple of them.

18. Buck Turgidson

Their 3 or 4 offensive possessions in the last 2 minutes vs LSU were just brutal. As usual.

tinman likes this.
  19. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Not a lot of groundbreaking stuff to cover after tonight’s loss to Baylor, but that was a beatable #1 ranked team. The loss, as always, came down to coaching. Texas ran their “offense” way too late into the second half when it was clear that they had no plays and no hope of making enough shots in the time remaining. Players had little confidence when it came to taking an open three and instead hesitated, allowing Baylor to close out defensively, before taking a contested two or turning the ball over.

Thinking of wearing a “Buy” t-shirt next to a buddy wearing an “Out” shirt to the next home game.

20. gucci888

Interesting comments from Fraschilla and Bilas on Shaka. I know they're not in the business of badmouthing coaches but I just don't see how CDC brings him back after missing the tourney 3 out of 5 years. Fraschilla also went off on the rest of UT Athletics, all of which are true and embarrassing to hear on national tv playing #1 Baylor.

"I'd be shocked if they get a guy like Chris Beard to leave Texas Tech. He's (Smart) got a young team, he's had some injuries. You gotta tell me who you'd hire before you make a coaching change, especially if you're going to pay the man 10 million.”

“Well, it’s high on everybody, but I think Texas fans expect to go to the NCAA Tournament, and this is a team that is scratching and clawing to get there,” Bilas responded. “I can tell you this, that if I were the athletic director at Texas, he would be in no danger. I think he is not only an outstanding coach, he’s one of the best people you will ever meet.”

Hank McDowell likes this.