1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. rocketshopeful

knock on wood. but + 12 lookn like a steal right now.

yes i know. i just jinxed myself.

2. rocketshopeful

FWIW - they just said on the telecast that they are hopeful that Ridley is back in time for b12 tournament in March.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Shaka has these boys playing some high quality ball right now.

4. Major

Major Member

Texas has to figure out how to get rebounds with Ridley. WVU got 24 offensive rebounds (to 6 for Texas). That lead to 61 FGA vs 41 for Texas - it's crazy that they won.

Right now, Kansas has 12 offensive rebounds to Texas' 2. It's the difference in this game - so much of KU's points are on those 2nd chances.

5. Major

Major Member

Prince Ibeh has to also figure out how to shoot more than 10% from the free throw line. I don't know why teams wouldn't take their 10-14th men off the bench and just foul him the whole game.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not much you can do when you only have 2 big men. They basically have Lammert, Ibeh and a bunch of guards.

7. Bob Barker 007

Yep, the one person we had no answer for and needed to contain was Perry Ellis. Combine Ellis with our lack of perimeter scoring and perimeter defense in the second half, and Kansas was going to win this game. I really like what Shaka Smart is doing with what he has though.

8. Major

Major Member

Oh certainly - I'm not saying they are doing anything wrong given their roster. But unless they figure out some creative way to improve their rebounding, they are going to struggle in a lot of games, unfortunately. That's going to be even worse if anyone figures out that a Hack-a-Prince strategy would force us to take Ibeh off the court too.

9. Bob Barker 007

Shaka has been doing a great job at getting this team to improve game after game. Roach has stepped up his ability to get to the basket and is doing much better at staying under control. Ibeh has improved his rebounding, defense, and free throw shooting. It would be great to beat Baylor and Tech next week before heading to Norman to play Oklahoma.

10. Buck Turgidson

Last 2 games: 10-12 from the line!

He and coach both swear he nails 'em in practice.

11. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Looking good tonight, big win on the road against a very good Baylor team.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

What a huge win for the Horns. Wow.

Considering the games coming up in the schedule, this was so big. 4-1 vs top 20 teams now. Tech on Saturday, gotta get that one especially considering we dropped one already to Tech.

13. duwende

duwende Member

I thought the commentary about Lammert playing so well he can go pro in Europe was hilarious

14. beardsanity713

Shaka is a hellava coach

he has prince ibeh playin his best basketball ever..

Props on another great Win

Hook'em!!!

15. duwende

duwende Member

Great Vine by Sportscenter
    https://vine.co/v/iJ7e1rign3m

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/iJ7e1rign3m/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

What's even more amazing is that the UT walk ons have their own twitter account, and it's the greatest

https://twitter.com/UTBBallWalkOns

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

During this possession, I thought it was just another example of not starting the play soon enough. But Shaka called for the fake screen to run very late and it worked to perfection.

That was a great win. Early on, the vibe I got was UT could hang with them and win. Baylor's team is OK but they lack something and often play under their talent level. I'm not a Scott Drew basher but it was so obvious who the better coach was tonight.

17. Major

Major Member

21 Assists on 21 Field Goals. I wonder if that's ever happened before?

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was impressive to be sure. It almost takes a fluke - no offensive put backs allowed.

The emergence of Ridley and then Ibeh is really surprising. Ridley was playing so well before his injury, which I think may cost him a spot in the draft as a 2nd rounder. At the same time, I think Ibeh may be playing his way into the draft as a poor man's Deandre Jordan.

I would think any big man watching those 2 guys would be intrigued in playing for Shaka.

The most impressive part was on the heels of big road win over a top 20 team, Shaka first went to Taylor to tell him to calm down before shaking Drew's hand.

Texas moves to 4-1 versus top 20 teams (and led at the half @Kansas). This guy is absolutely an elite coach and teacher -- I hope he's at Texas for a long time.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I heard that and was like wa da fuq? That's a first. Shaka and his high pressure D was one great hire. If Barnes were the coach they would have lost that game easily. It's also nice to tune into a game and see your team hit free throws. Beautiful site after watching so many Rox games.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Put me in the camp that now thinks Ibeh is gonna play in the league.

His defense is a sight to behold, and he has become tolerable enough on the offensive end. NBA centers these days are basically d and dunk, and he can do both.