1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The home games for Texas suck next year. I guess I will get a lot of free tickets next year.

3. gucci888

Inside Texas reporting that a 2024 departure to SEC could be announced relatively soon.

tinman likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Doesn't help this season. The stadium will sell out of they are halfway decent.

5. gucci888

6. Buck Turgidson

Hoops will be crazy fun for at least 1 year

YOLO likes this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Thete Pamel

gucci888 likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

McMurphy reporting that all parties are in agreement for UT and OU to join the SEC in 2024 EXCEPT for ESPN and Fox

9. gucci888

Big game of chicken going on IMO, still thinking a deal gets done. Missed this a few days ago but it looks like Fox is playing hardball which is understandable. They are essentially left with garbage if they let them out early...

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yikes. SMU? I know it's a good school and all but I don't think even SMU students watch SMU.

gucci888 likes this.
  12. gucci888

A watered down Pac-12 on streaming services seems like a bad combination.

tinman, MadMax and DonnyMost like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

San Diego State has a new stadium, they got rid of Qualcomm

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I mean, i would only be watching if it is on a streaming service. Otherwise, its not that readily available. Streaming service would make me way more inclined to watch, as a pac fan.

San Diego State would be a good add for anyone, they are competitive in the major sports and spend money. SMU is less exciting.

15. gucci888

Streaming service(s) more readily available than than Network TV?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

The truth is streaming services are still in a very early adoption phase.

Millennials have a bit of tunnel vision because we and everyone we know use streaming services regularly, but the problem is most sports media consumers are still boomers and they are going to the grave with their cable programming.

As for SDSU, they're a no-brainer add, but TBH the PAC is a day late and a dollar short. They had a chance to make significant adds from the central timezone, but passed time and time again. Ironically it seems UCLA/USC were standing in the way of that expansion all the while plotting their exit for greener pastures.

I feel like in or by 2030 we're going to see the death of the PAC as a "power" conference one way or another.

mtbrays and Ziggy like this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Pac-12 also couldn't get out of its own way. The four-team playoff era left them out of the national conversation as their teams ate each other alive during the regular season. Nobody was forced to stay up late to watch USC or Oregon when they had already eliminated themselves from the playoff. The Pac-12 needed undefeated or one-loss teams to be nationally relevant and they couldn't provide that.

18. Major

Major Member

It's not like they are the only ones. The NFL moved Thursday night football to Amazon Prime and is moving their All-Games package to YoutubeTV.

Streaming has the benefit that it has no limits - can be watched anywhere in the world and all the games can be shown. No dealing with regional coverage, or fitting into ridiculous network late-night time slots, etc. If the streamers are willing to pay for it, it's a way to get all their games seen at least by their own fans and alumni nationwide and maybe at more reasonable hours.

It's probably not as good today, but as streaming keeps growing, it might be the direction everyone heads.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Not trying to start ****, but this is the same narrative around the Big 12, just replace USC/UCLA with UT/OU.

I'm not sure I buy the theory that if the largest programs (at least in terms of media value) had kept winning that they would not have left these conferences.

The lopsided money was always going to eventually catch up to everyone involved.

Nothing short of unrealistic dominance could have stopped the Big 12 and PAC from eventually succumbing to the gravity the SEC and B1G represent.

mtbrays likes this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally fair point. OU made the playoff four times which allowed them to position themselves as a place where recruits could compete on that stage. The Pac-12 was last represented in the playoff by Washington 7 years ago.

But, I agree with you: winning begets greed in college football and I bet that if USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc. had won more consistently they would've lusted after the type of money a super conference would bring instead of keeping the Pac-12 around. I just think the conference played itself into irrelevance, too. In the end, the original sin was a four-team playoff with five power conferences (and one narcissistic independent). I can't believe the commissioners ever thought this would work.

#1080 mtbrays, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    MadMax likes this.