1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. MystikArkitect

UH has had more notable wins and better rankings than UT over the last decade or so. As has....well Cincinnati and UCF. UH would also neuter UT in basketball.

It's kinda like when Cowboy fan brags about his team being relevant.

2. Buck Turgidson

Welcome to the sorta-bigtime, UH. It's been 40 years.

tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or maybe Big East 2.0

tinman likes this.
  5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

no ut gives a **** what you think about us or our team. You’re yelling at a cloud.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

don't feed the troll

7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. Landry's Tooth

Puddle would be more applicable....

If UT was willing to spend like TAMU to be competitive in the SEC they would have spent the money in the Big 12 already than becoming an afterthought to Oklahoma...

They are taking the cash because they know the Longhorn network money is coming to an end... has nothing to do with the product on the field...

9. Landry's Tooth

I double checked and what i had read was comparing byu ratings to the big 12 as awhole. UT is significantly higher. Apologies for shooting off memory from weeks ago...

Kind of surprising to be honest since byu has been relevant and UT hasn't been...

I guess it's a good thing for UT that they get a lot of people watch them win 5-8 games a year in the big 12... does that hold up with 3-6 wins a year in the SEC?

It's a good question....

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Ironically the game that most point to as the end of UH as a major player in CFB happened nearly 30 years ago to the day (Sept 12th, 1991, the David Klingler led squad getting trashed @ Miami 40-10 on national TV).

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Wow, thanks for the invitation, guys! Feels good to be here.

When do we kick Baylor out?

arkoe and Brando2101 like this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We finally have a real rivalry to look forward to as opposed to “insert something about Anne Richards or Art Briles.”

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My feelings about the schools are as such:

TCU - No hard feelings at all really. I kinda like them actually. Go froggos.

TTU - We're quite different culturally but absolutely peers with a shared fate as large, non-PUF, state schools, but I've had the absolute worst experience with their fans which has made it hard to like them as a team/program, but I respect the institution.

BU - Kind of the opposite of TTU in that I have little to no respect for their administration but I've had nothing but positive interactions with the fans/alumni. Reminds me a lot of UH's relationship with Rice. I don't like the institution or the way it operates most times, but I generally like them as a group of folks at the ground level, so it's kind of a perfect rivalry candidate.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What's your beef with Rice?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I posted this as a concern a few days back. But I have come to peace with it. The move to Big East was ultimately a good one. Even though the Big East crapped out quickly, it did put the Coogs in the AAC rather than CUSA, and that is a good thing for UH. Maybe Big 14 ends up being another half step, but is is progress, pays more and is a larger stage if Coogs do perform. If the Coogs want to be big time, it boils down to wins and eyeballs.

19. Landry's Tooth

Largely fair comments except you should have noted the "institution" people at Baylor you're referring to have largely been gone for years... fair on the people there...

Though i would contend if you look at other programs and campuses you would see similar or worse. For example UT has had studies concluding 20% of females on campus have been sexually assaulted. That was from a few years ago. I don't think it's really that high but hard to believe it would be less than a school that outlawed dances until the 1990s...

I think the TCU/Baylor rivalry is something to build on for the conference. Both are religious schools. Both have roots to Waco. Probably the closest schools in conference...

Not saying it's everything but a start...

Basketball in the conference is going to arguably be the center or college basketball universe...

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do wonder if this incentivizes all parties - the new Big XII members, the Hateful 8, UT and OU - to expedite the latter's departure to the SEC. This would give the conference more time to stabilize and demonstrate value prior to the TV deal expiring in 2025 while also working on scheduling out of conference games with the SEC and "The Alliance" if the B1G/Pac 12/ACC even want to play SEC and Big XII schools. My memory is hazy, so I don't remember when the old Big East lost automatic qualifier status, but that seemed to have been the death knell for the conference. The Big XII needs to do whatever it can to avoid going down that road.