1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

USSC decisions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I mean, kind of, but the big problems is the literal existence of the Supreme court itself which isn't elected and can't really even be changed by election in any practical sense.

It's just another badly designed failing institution, unaccountable, undemocratic, and able to be corralled by small minorities for no other reason that luck - this is the thing that is causing consequences.

Andre0087 and JayGoogle like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It'll be interesting to see what kind of backlash might happen, if any.

I predict there will be some, especially in close states. It's a double backlash too because they won't even be able to stop abortions. Women will still have abortions...and now there are pills for it. So they might be kicking a hornets nest for no reason and they will no longer have that issue to run on since they would have defeated their boogeyman.

All they are doing now, from what I can tell, is giving democrats a reason to be charged for the midterms, possibly losing a large section of white women (which is always a key demo in close elections) and revealing that the SCOTUS is completely political and needs reform.

joshuaao, Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I wonder if this moves the needle on the filibuster?

Andre0087 and JayGoogle like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

…and we keep going backwards as a country.

If they hand this decision down right before the midterms it could be a much needed boost for the Dems. If they win then you get rid of the filibuster and pass legislation allowing abortion in all 50 states.

Religiously I hate the fact that a woman should ever be allowed to have an abortion.

Morally I understand it’s their own decision and the government needs to stay the **** out of it.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I actually wonder about that too. I'm not betting on it or anything but could this move that needle enough? I doubt it but it should be interesting at least.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And?

Amiga, B-Bob and JayGoogle like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like a threat. is she inciting insurrection? you be the judge

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This type of rhetoric needs to end. She should be ashamed to use it. But let's not pretend that rebellious talk is split 50/50.

AleksandarN and Andre0087 like this.
  10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think most Americans have the faintest idea of what the modern filibuster entails and how it's used. They all imagine Jimmy Stewart talking for hours, not a Congressional aide sending an email stating that their boss intends to filibuster.

Kim likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No definitely not 50/50 (for one, a statement on if the Court does X vs the lie that the election was stolen), but still, this isn't a reason to overthrow the government. It's reason to reform the Court though. If and the safe bet is it will overturn part or all of Roe, we should have a "the state of the Supreme Court" thread. The political nature of the Court will be much more dangerous and impactful than the overturning.

mtbrays likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

opinion piece

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Like to point out sublime photo selection handiwork by interns when we see it. *golf clap*

Invisible Fan and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That meme girl who burned down the house is all grown up and ready to take on the world.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Post the article, we all don't have access to the resources you do...

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Without significantly changing the makeup of the Senate I doubt it. Also filibusters on judges have been ended by both Democratic and Republican Senates.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'll admit I don't have a good sense of how this will play out. First will be if the USSC does overturn Roe in its entirety or if they have some sort of compromise where abortion is greatly restricted but even in states like MS still allowed. Even if Roe is overturned doesn't mean an end to legal abortion as Kavanaugh pointed out it just means that different states will allow it while other states don't.

I suspect it will be a big campaign issue for Democrats but if the economy isn't doing well and/or COVID is still raging in Nov. 2022 I'm not sure it will be enough for Democrats to hold onto the Senate and the House. Also given redistricting Republicans have strengthened there hand in House races. It's possible that there are enough urban and suburban voters who are upset enough about a Conservative Court overturning Roe that several states end up like GA with Democrat Senators winning statewide but Republicans getting elected to the HOuse and still controlling state houses.
    I feel similarly. I have moral reservations as I honestly can't say for sure when life starts. In the absence of certainty though it's not up to me to make that decision.

Rileydog and Andre0087 like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I wouldn’t mind having a beer with you one day. You’re a rational, independent thinker and I agree with your opinions most of the time.

Rileydog and rocketsjudoka like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks appreciate it.

To quote a USSC Justice, "I like Beer.."

mtbrays and Andre0087 like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They'll do it when the dems lose control for around 4-6 years.

It's a fairly repeatable long con all the way back when the media thought Dubya spelled the End of the Republican Party.

Dems mostly learn through blunt pain rather than a series of slights and faux outrage. City folk care have better or pressing things to care about...