1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

USMNT WC Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Aug 12, 2021.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FYI…if you’re looking for todays game on broadcast tv, it’s on Telemundo. CBS owns the rights to road games and naturally they put the game on Paramount+.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is also hard to find on Paramount +

But it is there, we really lack creativity up top, tons of meaningless possession.

DD

3. DaDakota

Jesus, we spit the bit today - no creativity in the final third, which isn't surprising when you start the WORST FORWARD in Zardes, captain turnover......I mean that guy has the worst touch, our U15 team has better control.

We really missed Weah's speed and creativity, and Matt Turner gave away the first goal with a HORRID free kick straight to Canada.

We deserved to lose, had no creativity up top, zero.

DD

4. Aware

Aware Member

Canada might just go undefeated wow

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How does Canada with a population about one tenth of the United States where Lacross is more popular have a better soccer team than the US? Soccer development is really pathetic here.

Aware likes this.
  6. leroy

A Berhalter special if there ever was one. Pepi should’ve been in instead of Zardes. Why in the hell would he sub in bulk like that? Luckily Richards wasn’t badly injured otherwise we’d have been totally screwed. I don’t like messing with the back line when they played so well against Honduras. Zimmerman earned the right to start.

There’s just no offensive flow. Everything is in a straight line, either forward or sideways. That quick diagonal isn’t made. The through balls go to the flag which are difficult to deal with when they should be going behind the central defender.

That said, the game felt an awful lot like when we play mexico. We had much of the possession and more chances…only to succumb to a couple of breakaways. Canada isn’t a pushover anymore and they clearly wanted that more than us.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. leroy

They’re not. But they are improving.

8. leroy

Should be a balmy 2 degrees F for kickoff tonight.

There gets to be a point where the weather eliminates any skill advantages. The heated field doesn't do much of anything other than keep the field from freezing. It doesn't warm the players. I don't know how you play in this kind of cold. I think it's dangerous and stupid for US Soccer to have planned this.

KingCheetah and noscrusir like this.
  9. Aware

Aware Member

A loss today by either mexico or the u.s. today would be brutal considering the upcoming matchup in mexico
    The pressure going into that match would be something not seen since 02 easily

I think mexico can afford a draw but the usmnt has to bury honduras today

the usmnt closes with mexico, panama, costa rica
    mexico has a considerably easier road with u.s, honduras, el salvador

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. DaDakota

This is a MUST win game, and the lack of result against Canada keeps the Panama game as very important in the next round.

It is amazing that we are still here, and that Canada came from nowhere to basically dominate the hex.

DD

KingCheetah likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't believe the US is back in this situation again -- it's really embarrassing.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Aware

Aware Member

Not ideal considering how poor most of concacaf is but could be worse lol imagine being a fan of colombia
    Only brazil and argentina have better talent yet they are unlikely to qualify

13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ref is funny.

15. leroy

Job done. Wish they’d quit being so inconsistent. There no reason they can’t play this way 2 games in a row. Quit putting yourself in a position to need a win. Just play your game and force the other team to adjust.

I was impressed by de la Torre. He and Acosta held the center down well and let McKinney be free to do his thing. Still need production from whomever plays the 9. Great to see set piece goals and for CP10 to get on the board. His post game interview was funny as he clearly did not want to be out there anymore.

Still work to do next month. 4 points should be enough. Ideally we’d get to the CR game having clinched.

16. DaDakota

@leroy

We play AT Mexico
    Home to Panama
    and at Costa Rica

I am far from comfortable......Mexico finishes with

Us
    El Salvador
    Hondurus

They should have 27+ points after being gifted a flopped PK tonight in the 80th minute

Canada will win one of the top 2 spots.

Leaving us, Panama and Costa Rica battling for 3rd and 4th......

A result against Mexico would be huge, they are not playing well at all - and lack offense - but it is a rivalry.....

I dunno, having flashbacks to T&T

DD

17. Aware

Aware Member

But why? was the reasoning simply to have less honduran fans? cause it sure aint competitive advantage seeing how poor of a side honduras is.

18. leroy

If we beat Panama at home, as we should, the other 2 games likely won't matter. If they manage a point at Mexico, I'll feel a lot better.

Gamesmanship...but I don't understand either why this game wouldn't have had the same result in a warmer climate. I think it was dumb and dangerous...as evidenced by 2 players having to leave the game due hypothermia.

19. DaDakota

20. PhiSlammaJamma

3 own goals by one player in one game. Wow. They just need to put the New Zealand woman on the front line instead of the back. Crazy. When it Moores it pours.