1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT WC Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Aware

Aware Member

Jamaica might have just gotten concacaf'd hard lmao

How is it that even African qualifiers have VAR but we dont? what a joke

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The USA played like COWARDS, like they were satisfied with a point, that kind of mentality will cost them.

Ridiculous with effort they win here pretty easily.

Lucky to get a point as that disallowed goal was pretty weak.

TERRIBLE result.....imho.

RE: Var is coming in January.

And if there was VAR today Jamaica would have been down at least 2 men

DD

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't have much to say about this game. It was poor from both sides and that was certainly not helped by the absolute sh*tty field conditions. That was an embarrassment, honestly. There were opportunities for both teams to get the win. The fact that CONCACAF doesn't have VAR is a joke...but what's new about this region.

I like Antonee Robinson more and more...but this game was why I wasn't high on him originally. He has the propensity to make so many bad touches and can do it in really bad places. I would really like to see Joe Scally get a shot in the next window.

Now that more teams have heard about Pepi, they're playing him differently. He needs to figure out how to counter some of what the defense is doing and not get taken out of games so easily. He was probably the most non-existent player in both games this round.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I just want the USA to play to win, to step on teams that are not up to their quality.

This was a half step back IMHO, sure a point away and you get the goal of the WC, but we need to be building, teams should FEAR the USA as they do Mexico, they don't because too often we play like wimps, no off the ball movement, no creativity....and then you take out Weah and Musah, two of the best creators on the pitch......that is stupid.

DD

5. leroy

I really think the field conditions played a large part in that. They couldn't confidently take players on because there was no telling where the ball was going to go. It looked like they were running carefully.

I don't disagree on the subs as Berhalter has historically been bad with that. But I think the field kept them from being able to play the game they wanted to play. It forced them to try and keep the ball in the air too much and Jamaica is much more athletic than mexico.

6. Aware

Aware Member

So Canada ends 2021 top of the table

This game vs Mexico had a very Columbus game from 20 years ago feel to it. A lot of sitting back and trying to catch Mexico on a mistake or set play. And yea Ochoa totally gave them the game.

I think it ends up being usmnt, mex, canada in that order.
    panama to the playoff.

We got an entire world cup to look forward to but kinda wild to think how the whole of north america will not have any qualifying during the next cycle. I wonder how much thats going to hurt all 3 teams.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Canada in first....

CANADA.....

The USA spit the bit against Jamaica - either you play to win, or you are not really building.

DD

8. Buck Turgidson

Do Concacaf and DaDakota give out whiny participation trophies for that?

No? Didn't think so.

daywalker02 and DaDakota like this.
  9. Aware

Aware Member

You right.
    Still, its a surprise

The growth of us soccer gets talked about a lot and rightfully so but canada's improvement should not be overlooked. They have a player in Davies that would start in any club or country in the world and today they had the luxury of leaving the current top scorer of the french league on the bench. No way in hell anyone saw that coming say 10years ago.

They're not a great team but they know their limitation and play to their strengths. Its like looking at past u.s. soccer teams.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. leroy

You're absolutely right. Feels very much like US Soccer post 1990. They've found some players and are carried by a couple good ones (and one that I hate isn't American and would love on our team and would beg ManU to pay $!50m for) after a LONG time in the desert. They're going to qualify for this Cup and then be auto entrants into 2026 where they could make some noise if they stay on this path.

I'm not concerned with the '26 cycle and not playing qualifying games. They'll be able to find games, even if it means the 3 of them play each other in a mini tourney a whole bunch.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I just think Canada seems to KNOW who they are as a team, and for some reason the USA still doesn't......Mexico does as well......

We didn't press Jamaica hardly at all, and we pressed the crap out of Mexico....if we press that back line of Jamaica we win by 3+ goals easily.

DD

12. leroy

In case you're still complaining about them taking Musah out early...

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well ok then, still took out Weah too, when Pulisic was coming on......I want to see them on the pitch together for obvious reasons.

DD

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Guess who is back?

DD

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

16. leroy

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

7 points - minimum this round.

DD

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Choppy win against El-Salvidor, but 3pts is 3pts.

DD

19. PhiSlammaJamma

impromptu celebration..l

20. leroy

Fereria was a mistake and is not good enough for this level. Have to think Pepi finishes those 2 sitters. The first one was obvious what he should do but the moment was too big. He tried to put it through the net instead of just slotting it to the back post. The 2nd one was just bad as even as an amateur I know to go at that with my left to keep it down. Not only those but he was constantly out of position, making the wrong runs, and dropping too deep when he wasn't needed. I'm hoping Berhalter saw these things and doesn't put him in against Canada. 3 points there, IMO, solidifies our spot, even if not mathematically. But it won't happen if the simple finishes are converted.

I think a solid and consistent 9 is what's holding this team back. I think Pepi can be it but he's got to get through this slump he's in. He's still a kid so there's plenty of time. That's why I wish he was in last night. Given those same chances, he converts at least 1 of them and then the confidence comes rushing back. I'm glad he made the move to Germany but Augsburg isn't good enough to give him the volume of chances he needs to get acclimated. It's going to take time.

The other issue last night wasn't necessarily the teams fault. I'm wondering if they couldn't water the field because of the cold temps...which made the ball A LOT slower than the players were prepared for. They were all clearly having issues with moving the ball and it seemed like it was because it wasn't going as they figured it would. Sunday's game is on turn in below freezing temps. It will be the complete opposite as the polyurethane yarn that makes the turf gets slippery in cold temps.