1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT WC Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Aug 12, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Time for the USA to start qualifying for the world cup and erase that T&T game from the last cycle.

I like our chances this time - at least getting there, but if you haven't noticed the USMNT is up to number 10 in the FIFA Rankings.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id13372

USA USA USA !!!

Let's go !!

DD

2. Buck Turgidson

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Getting into the top 10 of the rankings is a big deal going into next year as it will determine the seeds for the World Cup. Naturally, we have to qualify. But I don't see that as a problem this time around. I feel like the entire organization is much more focused this time around. We can make fun of the quality of the team in the Gold Cup all we want...but all of those players just got "major" tournament experience...and won it. That's huge for the long term health of this team. It's almost like the 2018 cycle was the rebuild that the Astros did. They were the McLane Astros...holding on to aging and worthless players while resisting the obvious signs that change was needed. Then fresh blood came in from the top down and they started over. I feel like we're in the 2015 phase of that. Making some noise but the potential that's there won't be realized for a little longer. I feel like we could qualify with the team that won the Gold Cup. I'm betting we clinch our spot by the end of the Jan/Feb window.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. DaDakota

Top 8 get seeded, right?

DD

5. Aware

Aware Member

This qualifying cycle will be very important for mexico and the usa when it comes to securing some dual nationals. There has been talks that mexico has the commitment of Jonathan Gomez, Ricardo Pepi, and Julian Aruajo to be part of the next olympic qualifiers and other youth teams. Does the u.s. come in an try to cap tie them as quickly as possible? Pepi is really promising and seems to be the priority for mexico. Ochoa, the keeper for salt lake, has already switched to mexico.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/david-ochoa-mexico-national-team-soccer
    Worth a read

The battle for dual nationals is going to be brutal.

#5 Aware, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  6. leroy

Ochoa's writeup was nice and all but he conveniently left out the part where he's 4th, at best, on the depth chart with the US. It's not that he wasn't given a chance. He seems to think that being the best practice player is something even after making crucial mistakes in crucial games. He didn't just make a mistake in an Olympic qualifying game. He f***ing choked in the decisive game...twice. He should've saved the 1st and the "mistake" was an absolutely idiotic decision.

I'm happy for him that he's dealing with his depression...but he's not going to be missed by the USMNT. We'll be just fine without him...passing to the other team in front of his own goal in a must-win game.

7. Aware

Aware Member

Agreed. For sure not a position of need but he is still just 20 and probably the best from that age group. Works out for mexico since there really is no one after Guillermo Ochoa.

Allegedly Aruajo has already filled the switch for Mexico and the rest i mentioned earlier are not too far behind

What is mentioned is that a lot of the mexican american players dont feel like they are a priority for u.s. soccer. that u.s. soccer is willing to fight for a euro dual national but wont do the same for a kid from socal or south texas. This really going to be a major thing going forward. Eventually youre going to have a mexican american star that the u.s. will miss out on because they didnt do enough to reach out to them.

#7 Aware, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. DaDakota

It is not just duel nationals the USMNT is **** at identifying talent across this country early, and some fade away or stop playing all together, we had a kid on our U19 team who is Pulisic level good, he is on a full ride at SMU but should have been in National pool years ago. Watch for Nikola Djordjevic, he will get his due.

DD

desihooper likes this.
  9. Aware

Aware Member

This upcoming call up is going to be really important.
    You got different journalist saying different things as far as the future of Ricardo Pepi. Really just going to have to see if he's in the list or not.

Also, whats up with the prem saying that it wont release players to covid hot spots? does that include the u.s.? sound like all the dual nationals that were coming to play for jamaica are out of luck lol. Serie a is saying the same thing now.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One nation under god not dual nation.

11. DaDakota

All that GOD stuff was added in the 1900s.....neve should have been there, the founding fathers would be pissed.

DD

12. Aware

Aware Member

The usmnt list is out and Ricardo Pepi is in it. big win for the u.s. soccer. I think he might be the first dual national that mexico really wanted that chose the usmnt over mexico.

13. Buck Turgidson

FIFA really missed an opportunity when the didn't name the WC the Duel of Nations

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pony up!

DaDakota likes this.
  15. DaDakota

First game is this Thursday!

DD

16. leroy

Pulisic didn't make the trip to El Salvador. He should be available for the Canada and Honduras games, though.

17. Buck Turgidson

Is tonight on tv anywhere?

18. leroy

CBS Sports Network

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that's why I couldn't find it on my tv. The Hill Country Ma and Pa Backyard Toolshed Internet and Television Company I've got at the house I'm at tonight got in a fight with CBS and they yanked the sports network.

I found a stream online, so all good.

20. Buck Turgidson