1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT(Soccer) vs Canada in Houston

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ferrari77, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I like this. It seems like we might struggle in the short-term, but over the next decade, this program will reap benefits. It's about shifting the entire culture surrounding the team.....not just changing around formations. Donovan seems too soft to take on the face of the USMNT, but I can certainly see Dempsey rising up to that challenge.

2. Rock It

Rock It Member

Ill be there I'm siked I want to represent the USA my first time going to bbva and no better place to see USA play than at bbva .

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I like it, too. I'd prefer he leaves Donovan out long term. At this stage of his life, if he doesn't know if he really wants to play any more then he should not be anywhere near the national team. He has never wanted to be the best. If he did, he would have been in Europe long ago. He got scared off by his 2 failures in Germany when he was a freaking teenager. He's a pu**y and frankly I'm tired of his act. He has lost whatever heart he might have had.

That said, I'm not crazy about Jurgen's constant use of players that only have heart. Kyle Beckerman is a perfect example. His lack of skill and composure in the midfield hurts the team. He is not an international level player. He also plays a position that we don't entirely lack in. Maurice Edu and Michael Bradley are far better defensive center mids and both have the ability to move forward and create...and they don't have a bad habit of giving up stupid fouls in the defensive third.

1 person likes this.
  4. Beavis Stiffler

There's going to be a open practice for the U.S. National Team today at 5pm. It's in BBVA Compass Stadium and it's free admission.

5. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

glenn davis tweeted there is just about over 11,000 tickets sold:(

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Oof! No bueno.
    Then again, it is against Canada.
    Then again, there hasn't been a US Nats game(youth or full) in Houston for years.

This doesn't bode well, but with BBVA being a lovely new stadium(sans the actual pitch) one would hope even if the attendance is sub 20 or 15k tomorrow night, the USSF gives Houston and BBVA one more shot(and perhaps the next time will actually be against a latin american opponent so there's potential for a larger crowd).

Hopefully Tally gets his 1st cap tomo.

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Disappointed, but not entirely surprised. It's Canada (and a really young Canada team at that), it's a January camp game and it's a Tuesday night.

8. Beavis Stiffler

The game is on right now on ESPN2.

9. Beavis Stiffler

Match ends in a scoreless draw. Not a good result for the U.S. National Team.
    Two Dynamo players were on the field. Brad Davis played 65 minutes and Will Bruin played the last 18-19 minutes.

10. leroy

I honestly feel the need to apologize to everyone I've ever argued with about how great the game truly is. After than horrid exhibition, I feel I can no longer defend the game I love when it's possible to that that garbage could happen.

They kept talking about how 7 or 8 of the players from last night would be in the group for the first hex game against Honduras. Outside of Wondo, Zusi and Gonzalez, no one that played last night deserves a chance to play in a World Cup qualifying match. Eddie Johnson looked like the EJ of most of his career...a horrible first touch and rarely in a dangerous position. The 2 outside backs were not good at all. Evans at center mid did nothing at all. How, in a 4-4-2, can the center mid never be involved in the play? Beckerman sucks. I've said enough about him already. Juan Agudelo needs to understand that every touch doesn't have to be a trick and if it isn't, it's ok if you stay on your feet. Brad Davis is way too experience to play as scared as he did last night.

I did see something that interested me. Josh Gatt. He might just be the player we've been missing. He's a kid playing in the top division in Norway. He's got speed. He's got some skill. And he's got an attitude like we've probably never seen before on the US team. I want to see more of him.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Agreed, I liked what I saw out of Gatt last night. Had never heard of him before.

But what a piss poor game that was last night. No attacking options whatsoever, just a bunch of pitiful attempts to put crosses in front of the net.

Gonzalez seems like a good replacement for Bocanegra at least.

Is Jozy still on the team? He's been tearing it up in the Eredivisie.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There's nothing wrong with the game Leroy. You reap what you sow with 3rd tier Athletes.

[​IMG]

13. leroy

Your opinion on the USMNT and US soccer in general means less to me than swoly's.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Too bad the USMNT's talent and play doesn't meet that standard.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If the soccer culture continues to grow, and if the NFL continues to head toward total destruction or at least to a completely wussified version that turns fans off, I could see more American athletes turning to soccer.

We've already seen what happens in the women's game when we put our best out there.

I hope within the next 3 generations we will start to see more American athletes consider soccer a top priority instead of living the good life being a kicker on the football team.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

You're right about that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130130/usa-canada-friendly-dart/

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Oh no, the Spain bandwagon fan doesn't approve. Whatever will we do.

1 person likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

I didn't say I didn't approve, I just said that you should not expect much from a Squad that didn't even have half of it's international players present.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130130/usa-canada-friendly-dart/
    Those are words of a US sportswriter err Spanish bandwagoner, not mine.

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

This is correct; agree 100%. Davis was playing scared, Agudelo was turning it over on offfense pretty quickly, Gatt gave it his all,

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You've been to the Camp dude. Not many bandwagoners would go that far.

I'm envious. What a great soccer tradition they are building with this generation.