1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USFL making a comeback!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ILoveTheRockets, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ILoveTheRockets

I dunno if anyone remembers this but, the United States Football League is BACK!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0mDJBbvcM8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0mDJBbvcM8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Without the USFL, the NFL wouldn't be what it is today.

http://boards.thefor...9098/r30245217/

Western Division

* California 1 (San Jose) Spartan Stadium
    * California 2 (Los Angeles) Angel Stadium of Anaheim
    * Nevada (Las Vegas) Sam Boyd Stadium
    * Oregon (Portland) PGE Park
    * Texas (San Antonio) Alamodome
    * Louisiana (Shreveport) Independence Stadium

Eastern Division

* Florida (Orlando) Citrus Bowl or (South Florida Metropolitan Area) Lockhart Stadium or FAU Football Stadium
    * Arkansas (Little Rock) War Memorial Stadium
    * Kentucky (Louisville) Papa John's Cardinal Stadium
    * Ohio (Columbus) Columbus Crew Stadium
    * Alabama (Birmingham) - Legion Field
    * New Jersey Red Bull Arena or Rutgers Stadium

2. ILoveTheRockets

3. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Are these really the best economic conditions to be starting a professional sports league?? I sense a quick failure.

4. ILoveTheRockets

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

* Arkansas (Little Rock) War Memorial Stadium

Now Lil Pun doesn't have to pull for those Nasty Philly Eagles.
    :D

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Their website has success written all over it.

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Probably the best time. By the time this thing gets off the ground and running, the economy would have turned around. That is the idea though.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

No chance!

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm waiting for the XFL to make a comeback.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought you were a Cowboys fan. Weren't you starting Cowboy game threads way back when? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

ouch.

You're probably thinking of DrewP or RC Cola

12. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

13. tested911

tested911 Member

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Two new leagues sprouting up in the matter of a couple of years?

The only thing I can think of is that they're hoping the NFL labor negotiations for the new CBA go bad and they scoop up some big names in the process, or get some attention if there is a work stoppage in the NFL. Seems like a long shot though...

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, watch the DE (#90) on the defense. Seriously, I think I could've blocked that stiff.

I'm glad the Texans #90 is better than that tub of lard.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We'll see. They seem like a better bet to actually play then the AAFL which keeps postponing their first season. I doubt any of them last, especially the UFL who wants to play in the fall and compete directly with the NFL & NCAA, rather than the Spring like the AAFL & USFL are trying.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

UFL: Terrible names and terrible jerseys.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...me-to-the-Trains-and-the-Trees?urn=nfl,182341

With the league making its television debut 59 days from now, the United Football League figured that it might be about time to release some team names and some uniforms. The first two in the books are the Las Vegas Locomotives and the California Redwoods. Those are the teams you see pictured above, with the Redwoods on the left and the Choo Choo Trains on the right.

It just so happens that these two behemoths will do battle in the UFL's inaugural game on October 10 on Versus.

The uniforms appear to be exactly the same in the design and pattern, with only the fruity colors differing. It doesn't look like the UFL plans on getting all that creative with logos, either.

I'll be honest with you: I'm a little disappointed in Vegas' name. I was hoping for something cheesier and more Vegas-y, like the Las Vegas Gamblers, High Rollers, Pit Bosses, Snake Eyes, or Doublers Down. But no, we get trains. Here's the explanation from the UFL's Roger Goodell, Michael Huyghue:

"Las Vegas was originally established in 1905 with the opening of the Salt Lake, San Pedro and Los Angeles Railroads. We wanted to honor the vast history of the city and the intrinsic benefits that this innovation provided to the community."

Well, hooray for railroad history. There's a topic that captivates America's youth.

As for the Redwoods, a name I like a little better (though it would seem to allow for the color red, or the color of trees to exist somewhere in the uniform), here's the explanation on that one:

"The Redwoods, large, strong trees native to California, symbolize many traits that the UFL and the California franchise plan to embody. The Redwoods and the UFL are reaching for the stars and are eco-friendly."

How important are uniform aesthetics and cool logos and nicknames to the UFL's survival?

The on-field product will certainly be inferior to that of the NFL, so I would guess that things like production value and making sure that nothing looks "minor league" would be important. On the other hand, the XFL and USFL had more distinctive and creative looking squads, and look where they are now. So who knows?

Announcements are still to come on the Florida and New York franchises. All primary colors remain available.