1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USATODAY] Top Center = Boris Diaw

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oldgunrules, Mar 8, 2006.

1. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I like Diaw, but one could make an argument that the ranking is upside-down.

Stuart

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Exactly. Maybe five players in the game have been better than Yao the last month, much less five centers.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

i didn't know that Chirs Kaman was better than Yao. Or that 3ptrs were as important as rebounds and points.

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

According to this ranking, if some day Oneal averages 70 points and 40 rebounds a game, he is still ranked 8th best center in NBA. :eek:

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Silly garbage.....funny last year they were saying Amare was being hyped like crazy and now Diaw....maybe it has more to do with the system and Nash....

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe this! If you reverse the order the ranking, it's a pretty good ranking. But on the other way around, this just shows how stupid this is. Diaw is good, no question, but you take him over Shaq and Yao as a center, great formula!!!!

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

There are a lot of teams that would love to get "overly excited" about a center who has put up 27-15 over the last 8 games.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

So has Miami contacted Phoenix about trading Shaq for Diaw?

9. catoinstitute

catoinstitute Member

Seeing how Yao is normally a rock in terms of durability (how many games has he missed during his other seasons?).. you can use the writer's own stats to push Yao up the ranking.

Ranking is 111 on durability.. but normally he misses next to no games.. so we assume a ranking of 1. Yao shoots up to 84 in his score, already 3rd best.

And then when you factor in winning % that's f'ed up thanks to injuries...

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I like this. The only thing taller than Yao's shoulder is Yao's shoulder with a chip on it.

11. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I like Diaw, he's a great player and has vastly improved his game. But to dare say he is the best center, that's just stupid. This is why it pisses me off when people over-analyze stats.

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

On top of that, most big men nowadays are chickens. FG% in the paint is higher than behind the 3 pointer line. Players don't know that? Of course they do. Do they prefer "versatile" movement or flexibility of "playing all 5 positions"? That's BS. They are chickens. That's it. NO matter how that so-called new breed of center is hyped, when Yao is dominating, those new breed will just have to double and tripple team him. When Rockets guards knock down shots, and Rockets eventually reach the promise land, they can keep talking about their new breed all they want to.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

The best center in the entire league is yao. I've been saying this for a while now. no matter what these idotic writers say or write, yao's track-record proves he is a bonafide great player now.

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Shall we trade our 10th rank center to their top ranked center? Sounds like a good deal to me... May be Phoenix wouldn't do it. :rolleyes: :eek: :p

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Here's an idea: put all the 5's in the L 'rated' above Yao on the open market. Then, put Yao on the open market. The 'hater-raters' get to keep Yao + any 5 who incurs a greater trade package.

End of the day: Rox retain Yao. Not one single center in the world would command a greater offer from other GMs than Yao. None.

16. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

this is stupid.

17. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Baloney. <a href="http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3599">Yao presently has a 21.0 points per game average</a>.

Don't know where this guy gets his stats, but they're obviously wrong.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's the stupidest statistical ranking I've seen in some time, and it demonstrates an astounding lack of basketball knowledge and logic.

Here's a more sensible statistical ranking, based on Hollinger's PER (a per minute, pace-adjusted summary stat). Doesn't incorporate certain aspects very well, particularly defensively:

1 Shaquille O'neal, MIA
    2 Yao Ming, HOU
    3 Chris Bosh, TOR
    4 Tim Duncan, SAS
    5 Zydrunas Ilgauskas, CLE
    6 Pau Gasol, MEM
    7 Mehmet Okur, UTH
    8 Alonzo Mourning, MIA
    9 Ben Wallace, DET
    10 Channing Frye, NYK
    11 Brad Miller, SAC
    12 Dan Gadzuric, MIL
    13 Andrew Bogut, MIL

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao wouldn't officially qualify as a league leader because of all the games he missed.

20. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

That's a point. However, I maintain this article's author is using some grossly inaccurate stats. If I'm correctly reading the above chart, it's listing Yao as <b>one</b> point per game.

Of course, if PPG in that chart stands for something <i>other</i> than points per game, I sit corrected.

<b>EDIT:</b> It occurs to me that "1" in the chart may be his <i>ranking</i> among centers in points per game... in which case, that's definitely accurate.

#40 DribbleHooper, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2006