1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA vs Spain: Rubio thoughts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crocktees, Aug 22, 2010.

1. crocktees

crocktees Member

Rubio has great court vision, but watching him today I don't think there is any way he becomes a consistent All-Star in the the NBA. His positives include quick hands, some decent off hand moves, and amazing court vision and passing ability. But on the negative he gets beat easily off every screen and is just not quick enough be an elite guard. People also like to talk about his size, but if Steph Curry can D you up simply by fronting you size doesn't count for much. I think he will get abused on isolation and the pick and roll, and although he can get to the basket is not quick enough to make it to the rim. Given he is still young, but I don't see his quickness improving. Be interesting to hear others thoughts. All and all he's a nice player but th Jason Kidd comparisons are way off. If you don't have the quickness to create separation in the NBA teams will adjust and take you out of the game.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's only 19.

Curry is 22.

/Thread

3. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

What was that horrible over the shoulder no look pass to fernandez? At the end of the game...SMH

Overrated IMO

4. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Only 19 !!!

College palyer age ...playing against top NBA Level Men

19 his not physically developed in his body ,,,,,

5. crocktees

crocktees Member

Yeah great point, but like I already wrote....

6. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Point gaurds....

its not how fast you are - see stockton

its not how big/strong you are - steve nash

its no how great shooter you are - jason kidd

Brains, instinct and Big Heart are more important !!!!

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

He was amazing at times. But overall it didn't seem like he did that much. Like, giant stretches of nothing. I haven't seen a box score, did he sit on the bench for a long time?

Oh, and the announcers talking about the Rockets drafting Lull made me think of the clichéd Morey picture.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't hurt Tony Parker - Wasn't he extremely young when the spurs drafted him.

Rocket River

9. crocktees

crocktees Member

21:27 MIN 7 Pts 5 Reb (0 OF) 3 Asst 4 Steals 5 TO

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

He is a game changer.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is not about doing everything well to become a great PG in the NBA. Rondo can be considered an All-Star and he can't shoot for beans, neither could Jason Kidd really either and he was considered the best PG in and for a long time. Stockton wasn't particularly fast or athletic and neither were his passes eye popping like Magic's and yet he could easily give you 20+ points a game along with 10+ dimes. Steve Nash is absolute garbage on D, but his team is way better with him then without. Rubio already has amazing court vision and great passing skills. The only thing that prevents him from being a star would be if he gets to big of an ego and fails to polish up techniques, gathering and cultivating experience into insight, and maintain proper conditioning of his body.

As far as size and D goes, this is back to Defense 101:
    - If you are taller/longer, than use that to contain your opponent
    - If you are smaller/faster, that use that to keep in front of your opponent
    - If you are not athletic, cultivate experience into insight and predict the next move basic on habits

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Forgot to add, there is not just one style of defense. However, size/length will always triumph over speed.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What?

Isaiah Thomas, and Tony Parker and tons of other smaller players disagree.

DD

14. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I think he will be good and real help his team.

But he needs to stop all the finesse no-look passes if he wants to play in this league and not turn it over.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rubio's courtvision, passing ability, and basketball IQ are off the charts. Toss in the fact that he's cut his teeth against the toughest comp outside of the NBA while developing his game.... It's all good. And how old is Ricky again ?.....nah nah nineteen. Cue the music.

He would be a freshman and right now he's running against some of the best in the Association.

Enjoy the flashes for now from a guy who will win titles in the NBA.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I think he looked like 19 year old going up agaisnt some of the best the NBA has to offer.
    That being said there's only a handful of players that have ever lived up to the hype. He has natural talent, but I've never been one to "crown" a player an "all-stars" or "game changer" before they've ever set foot on a NBA court.

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

Put him through a NBA conditioning program and see how he goes I reckon.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

You DO realize you listed some of the greatest PGs this game has ever seen...

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

And like others said, can't wait to see what the final result is, when Rubio actually undergoes NBA training. With NBA caliber trainers, playing against NBA caliber players.

20. tomato

tomato Member

That was his point, he Juxtaposed NBA greats against things you could say are fatal flaws without knwoing the players any better