1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today:Yao growing better but still has way to go to catch Lakers' O'Neal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mirror_image, Dec 23, 2003.

1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/rockets/2003-12-23-yao_x.htm

Yao growing better but still has way to go to catch Lakers' O'Neal
    By Greg Boeck, USA TODAY

The second-year model of Yao Ming is better conditioned and more aggressive, but there's still a giant chasm between the two towering giants of the NBA.

Rockets center Yao Ming is better than last season but has plenty to learn, says his coach and teammates.

Yao-Shaq III plays on ABC's Christmas Day telecast (8:30 p.m. ET) with the Houston Rockets 7-6 center once again looking up to 7-1 Shaquille O'Neal of the Los Angeles Lakers.

In their celebrated first head-to-head last season, Yao blocked O'Neal's first two shots, but Shaq dominated both games. Both big men came back this season in better shape, but put away the measuring stick.

"It's not about Yao," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy says of Thursday's matchup. "Yao is doing fine. That guy (O'Neal) is in a totally different physical world. O'Neal is the one guy who distorts every game he plays in. He distorts your defense. He gets guys in foul trouble. There is a lot of separation between him and the next guy."

That would be Yao. The Chinese star came into the league amid much international fanfare as the NBA's No. 1 draft choice last season and started at center for the West in the All-Star Game. But he finished the season playing second fiddle to rookie of the year winner Amare Stoudamire of the Phoenix Suns.

In the off-season, he helped China win the Asian Basketball Championships and qualify for the 2004 Summer Olympics, claiming MVP honors. He returned to the Rockets in better shape ¡X "I'm a lot stronger physically than last year," he says ¡X and brings improved numbers across the board into the Lakers game.

The biggest are his minutes, up from 29 to 34. On a rising 15-11 team that features one of the league's top guard tandems in Cuttino Mobley and Steve Francis, Van Gundy is running more offense through his big man, but still hasn't determined what his optimal minutes are.

Yao produced his first career "20-20" game Dec. 6 against the Detroit Pistons with a 22-point, 20-rebound performance and has 12 double-doubles this season. He's become more aggressive, but remains inconsistent.

That shows up most on defense, where he is often exploited in transition and by pick-and-rolls. The smaller Suns chased him out of the game early when his slow reaction in pick-and-roll situations resulted in two quick fouls. He was whistled for five in the game and played just 20 minutes in a loss Saturday.

"His alertness defensively can get better," says Van Gundy.

On offense, he at times struggles with hard double teams. But he's become more of an offensive force this season and shows a greater court presence.

"Yao works hard," says Rockets assistant coach Patrick Ewing, one of the NBA's all-time great centers. "The sky is the limit for him. He has a lot of potential, but he also has a long way to go. He'll get as good as he wants to get. As long as he continues to work hard, he should be the next dominant center in the league."

For now, like everybody else, he's playing in Shaq's intimidating shadow. At 23, Yao is eight years younger, but Shaq treats his newest rival with respect. They appear to get along off the court, but O'Neal rules on it.

"Right now Yao isn't near to Shaq," says Rockets forward Kelvin Cato. "But around the league, nobody else compares to Yao. Yao is going to learn. It's going to be hard to guard Shaq, but it's hard for everybody. Shaq is incredible. He has to make Shaq shoot jump hooks instead of getting dunked on. That's everybody's goal against Shaq ¡X try not to get dunked on."

O'Neal has slammed the reloaded Lakers to a league-best 20-5 record. Back in tip-top shape and refocused on winning a fourth ring with Karl Malone and Gary Payton aboard, he's among league leaders in every key big man stat.

"Going up against Shaq is always hard," says Yao. "I will definitely put a lot of importance on the game."

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I just hope that Yao fights back. I'm sick if him getting dunked on!

3. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

From the games I watched, I dont think Yao can play 30 effective minutes even in regular games, not to mention against shaq.

I think Yao can hold his own in first 20-25 mins. Then ...........

4. Raven

Raven Member

YM would be the best player in the NBA if games only lasted 10 minutes.

Raven

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

If he is dunked on by Shaq, it's so NORMAL. Nobody on the earth can stop Shaq's dunk. I just hope he can make significant contributions in the offensive end and makes Shaq defend him. I bet Yao will SURELY be dunked on, so what?

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is stupid. Yao single handedly won the game against the Pistons in the last minutes after the Rockets blew their lead.

7. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

God, I hope that's not true, but that is defintely one possible speculation one can make at this point in his career.

8. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

It's funny, I don't know why people think Shaq can just dominate Yao. Especially in the 1st meeting. The guy writing the article says Shaq dominated Yao in the first game....is he??? Hell no, in fact, Shaq can't do a damm thing well after the 4th quarter. Not until when they head overtime did he started to get some easy buckets down low. Of course, by then Yao is tired. Personally, I don't really think Shaq can dominate Yao. If anything, the refs allow him to dominate more than anything by letting him bully into someone without being called charge or excessive use of force. Shaq ain't all that man..it's all media perception and hype.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

As a Rockets fan I hate to say this, but it's very debateable whether right now Yao is better than Brad Miller of Sacramento and he sure as heck isn't better than the quasi-centers of KG, Duncan or Nowitski.

10. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Did everyone see what Rasho of the Spurs did to Yao? Yao definitely has a long way to go. (note to yao fans...I'm not bashing Yao ;) )

11. kanevil

kanevil Contributing Member

YAO GETTING DUNKED MY SHAQ? WHO CARES, CANT WAIT FOR THE GAME!!!

IM SURE HE'LL DO BETTER THAN THE LAST TIME.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

No, I'm taking about anyone dunking on Yao. "Average players."

13. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

This game fills me with anticipation and dread. I can't wait to see it, but deep down, I know Yao will get killed. He'll also use so much energy in this game that he'll be horrible for the next 10 trying to get back to normal.

Rox need to run some pick and rolls and run the same plays for Yao they've been running all season. He should get some good opportunities because I seriously doubt Shaq is going to deny Yao the ball by fronting. Let's see if Yao can convert.

14. montelwilliams

Frankly, I'm looking more forward to a Brad Miller vs. Shaq matchup. Brad Miller is shooting 52.5%, 16 PPG, 11 RPG, 5 APG. I can't wait to see how Miller does against Shaq.

15. spydermex

spydermex Member

Yep, but Miller plays with the Sacramento, an incredible passing team in which he always gets wide open shots that even yao ming can hit. For the most part of yao shots he has to create somtimes even amongst double teams, somthing that B.miller cant do.

16. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Exactly. Sometimes i hate when people don't know how to analyze players. They think if a player has better stats than another, it automatically means he's a better player and forgot what situation the player is playing under, what system, with what type of teammates...ect.. They simply ignore the little things that don't show up in the stats like playing defense and drawing constant double teaming.