1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If that's all you think he does, then you obviously don't understand his actual value to this team. This guy just outplayed two of the best centers in the NBA.....2 centers that YOU classify as doing more than Clint. This guy was swatting away shots by Donovan Mitchell, and making it look easy. His rim protection is flat-out ELITE, and his footwork is surreal for a guy his age and size. Also, Clint's max is not $30M....it's closer to $20M.

seeingred and D-rock like this.
  2. dje243

dje243 Member

Capela is not a "franchise player" but as long as you're contending you have to match that. His value with our guards is all-star level play.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Two questions/thoughts:

1.) What exactly has Ryan Anderson's contract prevented you from doing? You still got CP3, Tucker, and Luc last offseason. It immediately led to Gordon, Nene, and Harden's first extension, which along with winning 55 games, is what led CP3 to Houston. The only "cost" I can think of would be Carmelo, and the Rockets only wanted him if the cost was extremely minimal — and his performance this season has shown why.

2.) Had no idea Kevin Durant had a CF account.

TMac'n, AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And tell me what Embiid did a year ago that made you feel he was so much better than Capela this year?

I'll wait.

I think the Rockets can negotiate with Capela when it comes to this deal. The Sun may wanna offer him a max but wouldn't Capela rather take a few million less since he'll pay less taxes in Texas anyways?

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

BigM likes this.
  6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Of course PHX would.

Deandre Jordan 2019, I guess?

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

From my understanding though...
    1) Houston's max > any other team's max due to collective-bargaining agreement rules.
    2) It's not the supermax.

Money can be freed up by trading Ryan Anderson away to a tanking team with one year left.

8. lnchan

Supporting Member

Also consider that Capela entered the league early... so the risk of him peaking early on in the contract is slim. You gotta match... and hold PHX's cap hostage by creating those hours of tension.

D-rock likes this.
  9. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Why? We have his bird rights.

D-rock likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Although his defense distinguishes him from other young centers, he is certainly not worth a max contract.

11. saleem

CP3 is a UFA at the end of this season per spotrac.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Capela would be a fool not to ask for the max if teams are offering it

13. lnchan

Supporting Member

If the following players have max deals, certainly Capela is worthy of one also:
    • Harrison Barnes
    • Chandler Parsons
    • Otto Porter
    • Hassan Whiteside
    • Dwight Howard
    • Blake Griffin
    • Carmelo Anthony

D-rock likes this.
  14. lnchan

Supporting Member

Am I correct in my understanding that if PHX (or any other team) offers their max, the Rockets match... it would still be for fewer dollars and years than if Rockets offer their max from the get go?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh I understand the difference between getting offered 4 yr $100 mil from the Suns and the Rockets offering half of that.

I mean offering Capela 4 yrs $92 mil. He wouldn't pay the Arizona state income tax, Cost of living is cheaper here and he's playing for championships.

Angkor Wat likes this.
  16. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

finally some validation to the ppl making fun of me saying in Jan that Cap would be a max player.....take that... means nothing until it happens :)

17. Fantasma Negro

To get rid of Anderson. Irrelevant of CP3 and Capela, Anderson needs to be the **** off this roster

18. saleem

Are you saying that Chandler Parsons and Carmelo Anthony are worth the max? Hassan Whiteside has not been able to play like a max player.

J.R. likes this.
  19. lnchan

Supporting Member

In terms of production, absolutely not. But... they are valued at the max based on the market the NBA operates in...

D-rock likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Max contracts mean so many different things these days lol. You’ll see guys signing “max contracts” that are like 18 million per year and guys signing “max contracts” that are 25 per year.

I dont really get it or know capology.