1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. Fantasma Negro

I don't care how much those guys get paid but I am aware that the nba operates under a salary cap. Tilman can pay the luxury tax forever and I wouldn't give a ****. I'm more concerned with him flushing the lower bowl and getting some real fans down there

mario_v likes this.
  2. Voltik

Voltik Member

Ditto. See my post above.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This. Also...

5. It's not like you could re-allocate that money elsewhere. With Harden on the books at a record number and Chris Paul about to get a huge deal, the Rockets aren't going to have cap room for the foreseeable future regardless. They're all-in on this group. For those making the Parsons comp, besides the fact that 2018 Capela is a clearly superior player to 2014 Parsons, the other factor is that the 2018 Rockets (65 wins, WCF at a bare minimum) are substantially better than the 2014 Rockets (54 wins, bounced in Round 1). The Rockets were going to match the Parsons contract, if they got Chris Bosh. The current team is much more analogous to that scenario.

TMac'n, AroundTheWorld, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  4. ribbit

ribbit Member

Agree. And if Capela leaves...

Hey, Joe Chee! How's the bulking up going?

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dis Track Shawn

6. The Cat

To reiterate, if CP3 and Capela are kept (and that's certainly the plan), the Rockets are going to have a relatively similar amount to offer Luc and others, regardless of whether Anderson is here or not.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Capela outplayed Gobert and Towns, he deserves the max.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This will motivate Clint to show his value

ReignSupreme and D-rock like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

De anthony is doing Phoenix a solid?

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only reason they may want to dump Anderson is to lower luxury tax implications. (Assuming they aren't moving him as part of a deal to improve)

11. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

What's the record when our big 3 play together? That should be enough to match any offer. I'd be shocked if Capela walked.

roslolian and Voltik like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Len project officially over?

13. Voltik

Voltik Member

Joe Chee won’t be ready to play as starter next year regardless of bulk or not. He has barely played this year to be able to catchup as a starter for championship caliber team. If Capela isn’t signed for whatever the case maybe, we have to look at free agency or trade for starter center on this team. Black, Nene, Anderson, or Joe Chee will not be starters for this team if they want to compete for a championship.

ribbit likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

The difference is that Clint is no run of the mill Chandler Parsons. Clint is elite as switch defending 5, rim protector, rim roller and has amazing chemistry with Harden and Paul.

Chandler Parsons type players are ever described as critical part of Big 3 for a championship contending team.

roslolian likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

PJ is already signed to a 4 year deal. He won't be a FA for another 3 years. My guess is Luc will probably get the MLE, and Ariza will have to take a paycut if he wants to stay.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

Capela can’t create his own shot. He’s going to get paid like Joel Embiid, and we all know Capela is not anywhere near as good as embiid.

Embiid is a superstar. Capela is a system player.

17. The Cat

Correct. It's not like they'd then suddenly have more money to spend for Luc, Green, etc. And my guess is that if it's simply a dump for tax purposes, Morey waits until later in the offseason to do it (i.e. not in early July)... because you'd have to pay a big premium (even relative to what we'd normally expect) to get a team like Phoenix to trade for Ryan in advance of free agency, thereby making them punt on this year's class before they even try. Only way I see DM paying what it takes to move Ryan in June is if he has a big fish on the line, like LeBron or PG.

P.S. The irony in all this is that having Ryno's contract actually *improves* Houston's chances at landing LeBron or PG, in my opinion. Even if you could hypothetically amnesty Ryan tomorrow, there's no route to anywhere close to max cap room without renouncing some or all of CP3, Ariza, Capela, etc., which is clearly a non-starter. And you'd be giving up the MLE to go under the cap, which is the only way to keep guys like Luc, Green, etc. To add a star to the current core, Houston's route to LeBron/PG is the same as CP3 last summer — via trade, and specifically by opting in. That $20M figure is pretty useful in matching salaries — without it, you'd have to start with Gordon and then add guys like Tucker, Nene, and more, which would sort of gut the heartbeat of the team. If you can move Ryan for an expiring contract at the cost of two future 1sts (and I think you can), then ultimately, in the context of landing another star in 2018, having that contract could actually be quite useful.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

And the great thing about this is that those future 1sts would be in the #27-30 range. Morey can buy 2nd round picks that would be almost as likely to land us someone of value.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

The DJ wetdreams have to just stop. DJ cannot provide what Clint does and is the linchpin of new and improved Rox D.

Clint can rebound, protect paint, roll hard to basket PLUS switch on D. Clint can guard all 5 positions. DJ just cannot do that.

DJ would be replacing Nene, not Clint. Only available and affordable 5's next season who potentially offer similar skillset (not even talking about chemistry) to Clint is Brandan Wright (always injured) and Nerlens Noel (always in trouble when not injured).

topfive likes this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I love Clint and what he brings to this team, I really do.

But if he signs with the Suns and they expect him to bring that same type of production on THAT team (looking at you Devin, Brandon, and Tyler)... they've got another thing coming.

Defensively, he can still dominate but you're going to ask him to do much more than what he's capable of (atm) offensively.