1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'd say Capela is a top 10 center in the league but top 5 is a stretch.

He certainly had good series vs Utah and Minnesota but let's be realistic. We threw all kind of double teams at KAT and often at Gobert. Likewise, neither of those two had Harden and Paul setting them up at the rim.

Capela is a great fit with what the Rockets need him to do but he isn't top 5 in the league. Put him on most other teams and he wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Deuce and saleem like this.
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That phoenix getting the #1 pick was a bullet saved for sure. Cuban was miffed about Dwert, but i don't think he holds the same level of hatred to play the same game over Capela. I also doubt he wants to improve his team, even if its only 4-5 wins.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Is it possible to max Capela and then do an S&T with other pieces such as picks and/or other players for LeBron? Just curious as to how that works since he's an RFA. Then possibly sign DeAndre Jordan to a cheaper deal like MLE?

joshuaao and DaonlyLA like this.
  4. Aleron

His cap hit is his cap hold of $7m until such time as he signs a contract with us or an offer sheet with another team, and then his cap hit becomes that signed contract value unless we waive our right to match if it was an offer sheet (I hope that makes sense)

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

So basically we can make that trade assuming a Max offer is made either by the Rockets or we match a max offer sheet made by another team? I'm just curious now because DeAndre Jordan while probably not as good as Clint has been this past season would be a viable replacement at a cheaper rate and also gives the option for the Rockets to send multiple assets (Capela potentially being the biggest one) to Cleveland for LeBron. I think honestly the only way the Rockets are going to get LeBron is through a S&T. To make salaries match and give Cleveland a real asset moving forward, Capela seems like the piece to get that done.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Really don't see why the Suns would do this, unless it's a 100% FU move. Even they don't think Devin Booker is about to be James Harden lite throwing lobs and dishing assists around, right? I mean the kid can score but has shown little else unless I missed something....and even a max contract, I think the Rockets still match unless DeAndre Jordan is whispering VERY friendly numbers to Daryl and co. Like, vet minimum/MLE low numbers.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hopefully the Hawks don't pick Bamba with the 3rd pick and he's still there at the 5th for the Mavs...if not, i still expect them to go after Boogie first, and the Pelicans might not want to match a max for him.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Actually he was the reason why draymond green was less effective than normal - green was so worried about Clint that he was often out of the paint area and couldn’t challenge. Clint can handle any team but the warriors, and with the warriors he forced them to respect him and as a result they were not as effective as normal. Also, he’s about the only center that could handle a switch with a guard and not get killed. He could stay with guards and once beaten he could still recover and block. Most other centers cannot - including Gobert, KAT, Cousins, etc. we need him against the GSW attack - other centers would get killed.

I’d rather not give him the max but there’s a reason they hardly lost without him, and two of the games they lost to GSW was without Chris paul. Even if he got the max we could trade him mid season for assets to avoid lux tax if needed. He’s not a deadweight like the Anderson contract.

seeingred and Bengchu like this.
  9. Aleron

Sort of, but trading a RFA is basically impossible as he has to want to go to the team, and that as far as i'm aware has never happened (sign and trading the player to the actual team he wants to go to can happen, but dictating which team hasn't) and is very unlikely too.

saleem likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

To summarize, a restricted free agent essentially has five options:
    • He can accept his prior team's qualifying offer, play for one season, and become a free agent again the following summer.
    • He can accept his prior team's maximum qualifying offer (if applicable, and if one has been submitted) and play under a long-term contract at the maximum salary.
    • He can negotiate a new contract with his prior team that is independent of the qualifying offer or maximum qualifying offer.
    • He can sign an offer sheet with another team through March 1, which his prior team is given the opportunity to match.
    • He can negotiate a sign-and-trade (see question number 92) if he has not signed an offer sheet with another team.
    • If he doesn't sign a qualifying offer, a contract, or an offer sheet for one year, his prior team can submit a new qualifying offer (or maximum qualifying offer), and the player becomes a restricted free agent again the following offseason.
    There can be no compensation given to a team in return for their submitting or not submitting an offer sheet, or for matching or not matching an offer to a restricted free agent. For example, Houston could not sign Golden State's restricted free agent to an offer sheet, then send Golden State a draft pick in exchange for their not matching the offer. Teams also can't try to scare teams that might sign their restricted free agents, for example by declaring publicly that they will match any and all offers.

If a team matches an offer sheet and retains its free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and during that year cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to the offer sheet. They also can't trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92). A restricted free agent's resulting contract (whether with the new team or the contract is matched by the player's prior team) cannot be amended in any manner for one year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42

D-rock, Bearius Jones and mikol13 like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

The way i see it about the Suns:

- they failed to build a competitive team for years
    - they failed to sign a top tier free agent for years
    - they failed to manage their assets and their roster for years
    - they failed to extract great value from their tanking for years

...basically, they've been one of the worst organizations out there in the last decade. MCD is probably trying to keep his job and desperate to add as much talent as possible, and since they have no chance to sign a top player, they probably want to try to sign some sort of resonant name. Throwing a max to a restricted free agent of a team in luxury territory seems like the only way they can make this happen.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not totally sure of what you did there, but it's an interesting read. :cool:

13. smp

smp Member

We definitely see it differently. Green just fronted him and that was the end of Capelas offense. We will see what Morey thinks of Clint real soon.

saleem likes this.
  14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Is it just me or was Green not that effective in our series? He got embarrassed by Clint a few times as well as Harden too.

15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Let’s be realistic, if Capela proved he could hold down KAT by himself than why on God’s green earth would we try to double team him? Did you watch the games? Switches KILLED Minnesota especially KAT. Capela wore KAT out with the running and knocking him off his spots. I mean if you want to call guards slapping at the ball whenever they could a double team then I guess but it was straight up all series.

16. jwayne

jwayne Member

Remember when he was drafted, the word was he was staying over seas and the Rockets wanted him to... He said, nah, I’m coming to the Rockets.

17. aelliott

No, we double teamed when he got the ball in the post. Capela did did a great job with his energy and effort but he was hardly playing him straight up. Here's just a few of the quotes regarding the double teams.

"He specifically mentioned the importance of running the floor on multiple occasions after Houston held Towns, who was often double-teamed in the post, to single-digit scoring totals in the first two games."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...n-rockets-run-minnesota-timberwolves-playoffs

"The switch-heavy Rockets have double-teamed Towns to a stifling effect, and the Timberwolves sure haven't helped their 7-footer out by getting him the ball in favorable situations in the post."

''They're coming to double. He knows that. He has to face up, be strong with the ball, make quick moves,'' point guard Jeff Teague said. ''

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/...erwolves-return-home-big-hole-against-houston

"Towns, who averaged 21.3 points per game during the regular season, is the primary focal point of the top-seeded Rockets' defensive game plan. Houston frequently sends double-teams when Towns is able to catch the ball in the post, but he has struggled to establish position even when the Rockets switch a smaller defender onto him, particularly against James Harden and PJ Tucker.

"They're doing a good job on him," said Thibodeau, who also said he thought Minnesota tried to "force feed" Towns too much early in the game. "When you're doing the things they're doing, which is double-teaming him, he has to play with energy."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...l-anthony-towns-frustrated-poor-playoff-start

Vivi and Deuce like this.
  18. Aleron

We were doubling when we switched, which is a lot given our defense, we generally left him on an island when they didn't

19. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Correct. He did. But he was too afraid to move away from Clint (feared the lob) which meant he was challenging much less at the basket. He was not nearly as effective against us as his other series. So Clint was part decoy but that also meant green was only partially effective (to me at least).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. aelliott

We doubled when he posted up, just as the article stated.