1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] One mind-blowing stat to sum up Tim Duncan's dominance

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nachbarFTW, Apr 3, 2014.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

We don't even know if Pop would be in the league had he not been fortunate enough to be the GM of a team that sucked, allowing him to fire the coach, name himself coach, continue to suck, and then win the lottery and get Duncan.

Bob Hill won 59 and 62 games in his 2 seasons as coach before Pop fired him and inserted himself after 18 games.

Everyone now knows the NBA is a players league and coaching makes only a marginal difference (if you still don't believe it ask Morey). There is nothing special about the Spurs organization if you discount the lottery luck that got them Robinson and Duncan.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Take a look at the roster of the Spurs '03 championship team that knocked off the 3-time defending champ Lakers and then get back to us please.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL this is why TD is so much better than Kobe, it is because the NBA is a team game. People come up with hypotheticals to show that while Kobe had a big presence in the Shaq Lakers dynasty, that presence can be replaced by any other superstar in the league. If Paul Pierce had been the one playing with Shaq, they'd still have 3 rings. If they had TD, KG, LBJ, Dirk or Durant with Shaq, they'd still have 3 rings. Kobe wasn't exactly irreplaceable, all he did was close out the game in the 4rth quarter after Shaq mauled the opponents the first 3.

Kobe is not a bad guy, but his me-first attitude hurts the team game, which is what you yourself admitted. Coming up with a useless remark "Oh he has more rings derp" to counter the argument that TD is the better franchise player is just ridiculous IMHO, both individually and as a team player Tim Duncan stands head and shoulders above Kobe. And this is coming from a huge Kobe fan, dude is a great guy to his fans always smiling and willing to sign autographs.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Everything I said applies to the last two title seasons. You can't point to anything to show that any other Spur but Duncan was more valuable.

We are talking about players from the same team. So what, the Spurs sent out stuff saying vote for Duncan instead of Parker or Manu? Wouldn't that be a sign that they thought Duncan was more valuable?

I'm not discounting anyone's contributions by saying Duncan was the more valuable player.

No it's not. It just means the teams most important player, and it's typically very easy to identify who that player is on a title winning team, or in basketball in general.

It is quite accurate. Without KG the Wolves would have been bottom feeders. Since he made such a huge difference they were at least respectable. When he got some help they became very good. When he got more help in Boston they won a title. It shows exactly how valuable KG was.

No player outside of Duncan was playing at a star level in 2003. No player outside of Dirk was playing at a star level in 2011. Unless you mean star in name only.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't agree fully with the 'team guy is much better than the closer'.
    You need both guys on your team.

I am not going deeper into this discussion. Personally I like Duncan and would prefer over Kobe and there is no denying you need a closer on your team.
    Lebron is a team guy and occasional closer.

Whether it is a 6th guy off the bench (Harden, Jamal Crawford) or the main SG.

6. what

what Member

Actually, to be fair, shaq played with penny,d3, shaw and that team couldn't win a championship.

also I think the reverse would be true as well that if you put any of those guys with kobe they could win a championship as well.

in the end, shaq-kobe was extreme overkill. I'm not sure their have ever been two GREATER players on the same team AND in their prime, in the history of the nba.

Pippen-Jordan might be the closest, and possibly stockton-malone.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Your hating self is gonna disregard a post with GREAT Rockets history by calling me (a supposed LOF) braindead?

Get your hating arse out of my mix.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Kareem/Magic
    Kareem/Oscar
    Russell/Havlicek
    Russell/Cousy
    Chamberlain/West/Baylor
    Moses/Dr. J

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Geez, I understand this is homer talk, but everywhere there is much respect to what the Spurs have built in the last decade to the point where it seems like Spurs janitors are getting chances to run a team as Coach, GM or VP of Ops.

While this is a players league, since Duncan bought into Pop's system and the other two followed, that in itself is special.

P.S. No one really remembers or cares about the history leading up to the picks. Rockets tanked so bad for Dream and Ralph that the lottery was made just for their sake.

My perception of Popovich being an opportunist coach who got lucky with Duncan slowly faded away the moment Robinson retired and they still kept contender status by making savvy late first round picks.

Not that I enjoy another team's steady streak of dominance, but they're the anti-Lakers who have stuck around longer than the Shaq/Kobe era Lakers. That's an accomplishment right there.

That said, it means **** if the Rockets were to face them.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

False

Yeah, saying George was slightly better than Harden is d-riding... smh
    Your over-the-top comment regarding that mirrors most posters who responding. Utter biasedness. That's what led to those long arguments. Biased, over the top comments.

LeBron was booed at HS contest for doing the same dunk. He mostly does the same dunk.

The only way I've ever dissed Harden is defensively. He deserves it.

Sorry if those FACTS hurt you feelings.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

yea because Lebron got booed at HS therefore Lebron can't dunk. I see what u did there.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Your last 2 responses before this one had 5 arguments against me.
    I addressed all of them, then you come back against 1... lol. You're a defeated man.

Bottomline, LeBron mostly does the same dunk and was boo'd at a HS contest for doing the same dunk.

Arab, if you're a true Rockets fan, we're not enemies.

16. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

Nothing special

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it's the ultimate statement on people's chronic underrating of the Spurs that this thread can turn into a discussion of Lerbon's lame dunks. LOL.

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

hahaha, just messing with you man, though i still disagree with you on some of ur opinions. but like u said, we're Rockets fans first.