1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] One mind-blowing stat to sum up Tim Duncan's dominance

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nachbarFTW, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Durant would hurt Harden's SF All-Star chances... ditto Yao and Duncan sharing a position. You call Kurt Thomas a C when that wasn't even his main position, then question someone else's knowledge.. lol. Glasshouses and Stones. The poster JayZ750 summed it up nicely in post #69. Duncan is a center.

6th Best EVERRRR!!

Laugh at Popovich's quote from years ago then.. a link was provided. Whether you and your LOL-buddy choose to believe is on you.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

LeBron and Hakeem are the only multiple title winners to spend the majority of their careers without a 2nd star alongside them. Not Duncan.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not debatable. It was Duncan every one of those seasons. No other Spur received more MVP votes or All-NBA votes than him. Parker having a great Finals in 2007 doesn't change that.

Not debatable. It was Shaq every one of those seasons. No other Laker received more MVP votes or All-NBA votes than him. Kobe didn't even lead the team in scoring in either of those seasons, and that's his best contribution.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Thank you. Can't believe some people even think Parker was even close to Timmy in 05 or 07. Embarrassing. :eek:

5. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

So what exactly makes Thomas a PF? Or rather what makes him more of a PF than Duncan? Duncan can faceup, drive, is great at pick&roll/pop and is a good midrange shooter who can handle the ball.

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

You said pop played duncan pf to perpetuate Duncan, then you said he played him pf so he can start at an allstar game. So you're saying he actually played pf LOL!! then you post quotes that are posted by ppl on the net to support ur argument. why are you looking for quotes if you watched the game? Did you watch the spurs at all? BTW Kurt Thomas played the 5 with SA. I'm done replying to u since you can't fix stupid.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

05 Debatable but Duncan? So 1st team all nba and all defense and 4th in mvp voting may not be as good as a 16 pt/game non all star?

At least in 07 Parker was an all star, so that part is a little less ridiculous. Answer is always Duncan

#87 WinkFan, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Congrats on your 3rd post in 4 months. Who's multiple account are you under? LOL.... no big deal.

What makes Kurt a PF?

1) height (listed as 6'9'').... Thought he was 6'10'' before this thread TBH. Centers are typically taller than 6'9''-6'10''.
    2) weight... 230 lbs. Centers typically weigh more
    3) skill set... decent mid-range jumper, not much dribbling, strength, mostly a defensive player. Center attributes.
    4) listed position... listed as PF 6 of 18 seasons. Duncan has been listed ONE extra time in his career at PF vs C........ ONCE

Please read
    Fitting 1, 2, or even 3 of this criteria doesn't mean everything. BUT, when you're talking about a player that fits all/most of them + his coach says his intentions + there's clearly a reason to justify said intentions (Yao dominating C All-Star votes)............ it's a different story

If you don't understand by now, please stop responding.

Thanks

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

lol ben walace whos 6'8 played center his entire career next to rashid whos 6'11, chuck hayeswhos 6'5 6'6 started at center for one season next to scola whos 6'9, lol

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

SAME lebron? wade and bosh much??

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF is this crap? TD is a PF because he played as a PF his entire career. It doesn't matter if his skillset is actually a center, a lot of players have the skillset for multiple positions.

Magic has a low post game and was able to play C and lead his team in the playoffs, yet people still classify him as a pg. Ben Wallace is clearly undersized at Center and has pretty much the same skillset as Dennis Rodman (a PF), and yet people call him a center. WB clearly has limited playmaking skills and yet he is treated as a pg. Dirk has an SF skillset but he is treated as a PF etc. etc.

If you're gonna argue that TD is a center based on his skillset you're gonna have to reclassify 1/3 of the players in the league including "stretch 4s" like Ryan Anderson and "shoot first pgs" like Gilbert Arenas or Chauncey Billups. Just classify them based on what they played as for majority of their career.

1 person likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is the Popovich who got fined for resting his players on a meaningless game, right? So you're sayign the dude who doesn't care about popular opinion would suddenly mess up his rotation just so TD can win a popularity contest??? Um ok :rolleyes:

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, that is truly impressive. I always liked TD, never hated the Spurs. Hated Dallas plenty. . . .

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What's pointless is speculating what Dunacan would have done playing alongside Shaq. I hate these type of arguments so much. Why do people always try to come up with hypothetical situations to dismiss opposing arguments? And in a hypothetical situation like that would Duncan have a knock besides his championships because he played second fiddle to Shaq? Or in that case would Shaq have a knock on his championships because he played second fiddle to Duncan? That argument is so silly.

Btw, I'm not even trying to discuss who the best player is. The discussion was on who contributes the most to winning a championship. Which I still believe (for the most part) can't be attributed to one player regardless of how good they are.

The original post I was responding to claimed Duncan deserves "this much credit" because "He's a great team mate who tries to make his fellow teammates better. He's low key, no drama and a humble guy." That poster then referenced Kobe as the foil to this stating he's a bad guy or whatever.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8823538&postcount=13

To that I responded that being humble, low key, no drama, etc.. is whatever because at the end of the day Kobe has more championships.

Somehow the haters came out to dismiss championships by Kobe because Shaq was there. It's silly to not acknowledge Kobe had a huge presence during all of those championships wins (minus the first one which I believe Shaq just dominated his way to). Hence the reason why the "who contributes the most to those championships" even came into play.

Furthermore, you posted the the stats. 05 isn't as close as you're making it out to be. Simply because Duncan missed quite a bit of time with injury. Guess who carried the team during that time? Ginobli. Well, Parker too. Duncan was the best single talent on that team, but the entire championship credit can't be given to him as 99 and 03 was. Ginobli played so well that season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2005.html

As far as 07. Look at the stats yourself. Duncan had a great regular season. Parker did too. Hell, Ginobli was still a god at the time. Parker's performance in all the playoffs was great. Not just the finals. Look at the series breakdowns. Parker destroyed Utah.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2007.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2007_WCF.html#SAS-UTA
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2007_WC1.html#SAS-DEN

Once again I'm hardly even trying to say Duncan was not the best player during those championship years. It's subjective. I think he was for 3. Hell he could be for all 4. Even still, does that take anything away from the huge roles Ginobli and Parker played during those winning years?

I think people just like to say one guy was the reason behind a dynasty.

I don't think so.

In the end it's a team game.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Posters call me an a**hole, and I respect it. It's just hard to hold back sometimes when clear words are posted and posters still bypass plain English to meet their own agenda.

Height is only 1 criteria of 4. I said 3 of 4 is possibly still questionable and you meet 1 , then act like you did something. Kurt isn't isn't stronger nor heavier than Wallace. Using bball-reference info, Kurt isn't even taller (height) than Ben... so you lose that too.
    Sheed isn't listed at 6'11'' and wasn't listed at C until his 10th season.

Get real, playa.

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i will use a quote from you.

Sorry, just could not resist.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Exactly.. because

1 meaningless regular season game (when you're 5+ games ahead of everyone anyways) = 2 billion Chinese All-Star votes in a popularity contest

Please keep on embarrassing yourself

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Spurs are the only team of their caliber to not rely on cheap superstar calls. You play the Spurs and the refs don't favor them in any way. They are a small market but that's still very odd. And they win despite this.

19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

repped.

20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

there's a difference between a**hole and stupidity. pops listing TD as pf for allstar games is comical. LOL