1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] Michael Jordan: "I could have beaten LeBron one-on-one."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Richie_Rich, Oct 1, 2013.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

This. Jordan isn't going to let LeBron just go to the hole all day and LeBron's post up game is far from great. If LeBron's jump shot isn't on he probably couldn't win.

2. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

I actually could see this legitimately going either way. The fact that Lebron has ~35-40 pounds on Jordan plays a much larger factor than people are willing to admit honestly.

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you are blind.

he had a huge gambling addiction, he always brought his teammates under the bus, there is a lot of quotes to prove that.
    he cheated on his wife, and divorced to get a younger wife.
    you didnt hear his HOF speech? was so egocentric boasting.
    and he sucks as NBA general manager, everyone know this.

he is great as a player, but he wasnt a role model as a person

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gambling?

5. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Peak vs peak, lebron is much bigger and stronger: 50-60 lbs. heavier, and 2 in. taller. Lebron's got at least a 40" vertical, and his 40 speed is probably the same as jordan's.

In other words, lebron is just as fast, leaps just as high, but is much bigger and stronger than jordan.

In a team context, jordan is clearly better. In one on one, the bigger, stronger athlete wins. It'd be a bit like jon bones jones vs. cain velasquez, with cain crushing jon jones.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There was hand checking in Jordan's era.
    Plus the big man was alive and well.

I think you could substitute prime Jordan into today's game - he'd average even better numbers than LeBron is posting.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Jalen Rose believes MJ will play one game this year

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q7HOkr7kx9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's not true. LeBron's post game hasn't reached the point where he can flat out dominate with his back to the basket which is what would be the best way for him to use his strength to his advantage. Roy Jones beat a bigger and stronger John Ruiz because he out boxed him and Jordan would be smart enough not to let LeBron just bully him and take him to the basket all game.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

It appears Rose has some insider info (as usual).

Reports are MJ (at 50) can still dominate today's youngsters...

Kidd-Gilchrist: I lost to MJ in 1-on-1

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

In a one on game it very hard to stop someone 40 pound heaver than you. They can just push you ever. No one calls fouls in pickup games.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You don't have to be an elite post player like Hakeem or McHale to dominate a much smaller player in the post.

LeBron is not an elite post player. But it's not like he's a stiff either. I don't know what Jordan could do when LeBron just backed him in and powered over him... especially if they let him use his "crab dribble" and not call traveling on him.

13. the shark

the shark Member

I would think it's up to the fans to debate who the greatest might be (In any profession). When a player starts spewing "I'm the greatest of all time", in my opinion, it comes across wrong.

That's why I love Hakeem. He understands what the word "humble" means.

14. andersongo

andersongo Member

Of course, Jordan can't lose against anyone but another Jordan clone. Kobe really copied every facet of Jordan, starting with his incommensurable ego.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Jordan was loads quicker than Lebron and just as strong a finisher (arguably better with those giant hands).

Lebron's jerky shot makes me think he would have problems hitting it off the dribble with Jordan in his face. Of course, Lebron is heavier and that goes a long way but I'm not sure he could easily back Mike in with MJ's activity as a post defender. Remember, Jordan is arguably the best wing defender the game has ever seen.

I have Jordan winning 7 out of 10 times with him getting stronger as the competition continued.

16. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

1. what evidence do you have demonstrating that jordan was "loads" quicker? What is a "load" equivalent to? lbj claims a 40 time of 4.6; dean smith claims jordan ran a 4.3; however, smith also claims jordan had a 48" vertical. It's quite obvious that both stats are fabricated/exaggerated.

2. lbj has huge hands also: 9.33" vs. 9.75" for jordan.

Try playing a player 50 or 60 lbs heavier than you one on one. You're not going to be able to do anything against him when he wants to back down in the post. This is just common sense. Michael Jordan was great defending 200-220 lb. 1's, 2's and 3's. lbj is 265 lbs, at least 50 lbs heavier than jordan, who was between 205-215 in his early 30's.

If they were both 215, perhaps. But since lbj is 50 lbs heavier than a prime jordan, probably not.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its a douche comment...but its Jordan so comeon ...GOAT.