1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] Michael Jordan: "I could have beaten LeBron one-on-one."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Richie_Rich, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Crank

Crank Member

6 rings.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

6 rings you say....

[​IMG]

3. dischead

dischead Member

MJ would just need to back off LeBron a bit to stop the drive and let him have the outside shot = MJ wins

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I felt like the Kobe mention was more him joking and possibly taking a small dig at Kobe than anything.

5. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Rumor has it that he sometimes puts the 11th one on his...ohhhh

6. Raven

Raven Member

I'd still rank Magic number one all time.

Screw the haters!

:grin:

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Mj is the most competitive guy on this earth. It's what makes him Jordan. The guy can afford to be a douche bag and everybody loves him for it:grin:

That OJ Mayo story had me in tears lol

8. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

MJ is GOAT but I think LeBron would beat him one on one.

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

hahaha:grin:

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already posted?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>LeBron on MJ saying he could beat him 1-on-1 in their primes: &quot;MJ said that? I've thought about the matchup but no one will ever see it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/statuses/385078101056581632">October 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Domino effect. I stole some of his..this generation stole some of mine <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23thecycle&amp;src=hash">#thecycle</a></p>&mdash; Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) <a href="https://twitter.com/kobebryant/statuses/385113406929248256">October 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. tksense

tksense Member

FWIW

Playoff series won,
    Russel: 27
    Jordan: 30

Series wins needed en route to championship,
    Russell: 2.3
    Jordan: 4

Avg number of nba teams in league,
    Russel: 8
    Jordan: 27

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mad Max could guard him 1 on 1.

13. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder what moves this generation stoled from Kobe?

We all know which ones he stoled from Jordan...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v27Hk5OIe-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Marshon Brooks is young Kobe but nobody knows if he is ever going to be gr8.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All you we have is word of mouth stories about mj being a douche. good. He kept it professional in the interviews and on camera. Advice he gave was always genuine.

We have tons of video on Kobe being a douche and nobody says anything.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Clean VD and drug tests, no rape allegations, no autobiographical boasting or numerical tallying of a misogynistic, reckless sex life, no bankruptcies, no publicly disavowed, out-of-wedlock children or history of throwing people through plate glass windows, productive managerial and entrepreneurial post-basketball career without relying on sports commentary gigs; can we please stop bashing the greatest athlete of the 20th Century?

1 person likes this.
  17. LIT123

LIT123 Member
    Supporting Member

In 1972 the NBA was struggling and came up with a taped 1-on-1 tourney. Big Butt Bob Lanier won in a walk by doing exactly what shaq did to Jordan, back down for easy shots while playing off and stopping blow byes. 16 guys were in it and most were guards and small forwards. I think most were starters and a few became stars, I believe Rudy T and Newlin were both in it from Houston. Lanier beat Jojo White and he let up a couple gimmes at the end to keep it interesting. The prize was given by Bill Russell at the finals, maybe 12 0r 15 thousand in one dollar bills in a satchel. Russel was dwarfed by Bob. It and its sponsor Vitalis are rarely remembered. It was considered horrible but I liked the ones I saw.

18. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

The key was when MJ said he "could have"and not would have

That means he probably thinks Lebron would beat him, but he could beat Lebron also.

Have you ever heard MJ said he 'could' do anything when the odds were in his favor? The only time I heard something similar was when he was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and he said (not exact words) "I mean I can still fly" ...

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That last stat says it all. 8 teams in the league. That says to me that the talent should be more concentrated and less dispersed because they're are fewer teams. Also since there are only 8 teams, Russell isn't going to need as many wins or series to reach a title game. Just saying.....

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

lebron could easily win more than 6 rings if he opts out in miami and comes to houston.