1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] Lockout in the future?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jul 1, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/USATODAYsports">@USATODAYsports</a> has obtained <a href="https://twitter.com/TheNBPA">@TheNBPA</a> memo advising players to take salary over 18 months v. 12 b/c of lockout possibility (<a href="https://twitter.com/soshnick">@soshnick</a> h/t)</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/484006408094883840">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We know there was a lot of unhappiness by the players in the last CBA deal. This next negotiation is going to be a bloodbath.

Edit: Just to note, either side can file a notice to opt out of the CBA by December of 2016. They can also get out early at any time under certain circumstances. (Collusion, tv rights issues, etc.)

2. justtxyank

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>In memo, interim director Ron Klempner points out how owners made &quot;provisions&quot; w/ TV networks in last lockout to keep getting rights fees</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/484007271152619522">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Klempner: &quot;No reason the players should not make every effort to take the same precaution.&quot;Players &amp; owners can opt out after 2016-17 season</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/484008400330571776">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>This advice is being shared w/ free agents who would have to include provision in their new deals. Provision added in last negotiations.</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/484009746232377344">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

#2 justtxyank, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Silver was handed a **** pie.

4. HPD

HPD Member

"geeeez " signed Rich Lord

5. justtxyank

Yep. There is a really a storm brewing in the NBA. Max players aren't happy about max deals, players in general aren't happy about the salary cap calculations, small market owners aren't happy about anything, large market owners aren't happy about revenue sharing...

A real fight is coming up. The players feel like they got screwed and were betrayed by their own reps.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

so if Wade opts out and takes a huge paycut, doesn't this further undermine the players association?

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't think so at all. I don't think any one-off case undermines either side much.

The main thing is to see horrible teams sold for half a billion $ and the Clippers sold for $2 billion. The players have to look at that and feel like they're getting completely hosed.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd hate there to be a lockout again. Especially if we lose a whole season and end up getting Melo. We can't afford to lose a year when we already have a short window.

9. justtxyank

Yeah if you are player you have to be really incensed at the alleged "financial losses" of small market teams that saw a labor deal that reduced the player's slice of the pie last time then get sold for that kind of money.

10. justtxyank

Be prepared for it bro. The only question is how long the next lockout will be.

Everyone who is slurping Adam Silver right now should realize what he is doing. Stern stepping down and Silver stepping in and then doing all this player friendly stuff is very intentional.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Seriously, we better make a deep run *this* year.

Can you imagine having a whole year at the end of Dwight's prime just passing by with no basketball? Yikes.

Similarly scary for Lebron I would think. Clock is a ticking on him too.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Clippers sold for that because one guy wanted a cool toy and had a lot of money.

Are the Clippers cash flows realistically equal 2 billion? I highly doubt it. The Clippers fair market value is worth 2 billion, but their fair value isn't.

13. justtxyank

The Clippers aren't a small market team so they weren't the team I was referencing. :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...waukee-bucks-sale-highlights-nbas-prosperity/

Lebron was mad about the small market Kings that cried poor over and over selling for the record price and then the Bucks just sold for a higher ticket besides being absolutely irrelevant in the basketball universe for damn near two millennium now.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Two biggest problems IMO:

1 - - Cabrera signs for 300 mil (or so) &
    2 - - Clips (the Clips???, not the Lakers???) sold for 2 bil.

Somehow Lebron thinks he is underpaid. And somehow Lebron is correct.

15. justtxyank

The bigger issue than the Clips is the Bucks selling for $550 million. The Clippers is a fluke deal. The Bucks though...I mean they are the Bucks for crying out loud!

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True, but its not as if the owners are riskless. I'm pretty sure all of the Nets players got paid despite the fact the Nets lost $144 million (granted another one-off case). Also, players benefit from endorsements and such in a way that owners can't.

But whatever... i'm not arguing players should or shouldn't get more.

But it is a argument that falls on deaf ears that so and so NBAer deserves more or so an so owner doesn't want to give up more.

You've got people in Seattle who have no basketball at all because they weren't willing to pony up tax money when both owners and players are doing more than alright.

17. justtxyank

Don't misunderstand me to care about the player's plight. They are all rich men and them getting more or less money does nothing for me.

I'm only telling you to be ready for a fight. The players are not happy about the current deal and the owners aren't going to either.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

So who is at fault in this? Are the players being selfish? Owners?

19. Harden's beard

The players got screwed this last cba. Owners want more like what they got with the last cba and it isn't gonna happen, 2016 is gonna be a long offseason :/

20. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Owners are billionaires and players are millionaires, I do not care about them at all.
    The only thing I worry about is this potential lockout affects Rockets' chances of winning championships as Howard has about three years of prime left.