1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by just_lurking, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Voice of Reason

You just copied and pasted someone else’s words. You basically goggled the word knowledge, copied a couple of sentences from Wikipedia, and pasted the response as part of your own argument. The fact that you couldn’t give a definition of the word knowledge by using your own words proves my point.

2. duteman

duteman Member

i haven't read a book cover to cover since the 1st grade and i'm a college graduate..do note i received nothing higher than a c in any of my english classes hahaaha and my boss recently told me he wants me to take a business writting course.

So students out there.....you will end up using it someday

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I bought a 588 page book last year, only half way through it.

I blame the internet.

4. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

But that's the point, we arn't all doctors or lawyers. People with dislexia, in your case, are near r****ded, right? Or, someone actually not picking up a "book" yet reads constant scripts on the internet, or watches mostly history channels, discovery, etc. Those people, in your case, are nearly r****ded.

I say no. Same with your other post with your quip grammar only shows you are trying to hard to compensate for something. You're weird just for aguing books are one of the only attainable knowlege known to man kind.

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

He's not a doctor, he's not a lawyer, and he's not a student.

It's great that you love reading so much, but people have other ways to pass the time. These guys watch movies on the plane and play video games in their hotel rooms.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have dyslexia. I read about four books a month. I try to maintain a healthy mix of fiction vs. non-fiction.

Damn. I thought everybody knew reading was fun-da-mental.

7. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

lolwut

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

The average millionaire works over 60hrs a week and reads 3 non-fiction books a month.

he could read on the plane..or instead of going to clubs all the time, he could leave an hour later and read then. Reading an hour a day can make a difference in someones life.
    People don't put a priority in reading because they don't want to..not because they don't have the time. The average american watches 4 hours of TV a day..yet they don't have time to read??

9. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

But you'd have to assume AB is average to have an argument here. He's not average... he's special in his own way.

10. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Very commendable, I was just going by my cousin who has it. I dunno whether other cases of it are worse than others, he just has a struggle with it. Anyways, he has a masters in computer science and is back in school to get a degree in law. He told me that he uses a computer software to talk the words to him. He;s crazy smart, can read a bit but not for long because he starts to get bad headaches from struggling. The point is,

Reading does not = Smarts. Just the passion to learn, and the retainment of knowlege that is worth anything to know.

There are infinite amounts of ways to obtain this knowlege and not all, if not a most, are from books. AB, I'd give him the bennifit, he's a cool guy it seems, and is a great basketball athlete. Lack of reading? Still a sharp guy to me.

11. thainfamouspie

thainfamouspie Contributing Member

So in other words, reading novels and books are the only source of one's overall improvement of intelligence and thus clearly gives readers the authority to condescend over those who don't, or at least often enough....??

12. HombreDeHierro

he's good at basketball

GIVE HIM A BREAK.... jeezus

13. thainfamouspie

Agreed. No argument that books do wonders for one's mind, but in Aaron's case (as is the case for athletes in general), their job is to entertain people, so more than likely his devotion is to enhance his mental and physical abilities for his profession of entertainment. That doesn't necessarily have to come from a book.

14. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

Maybe if you used the internet more you would know how to spell "google." There is much more informaton available on the world wide web than just the things you find here on clutchfans. Yes, I did google it. I am also sticking to my sentiment that by taking the facts you aquire from google or wikipedia, increase your understanding and you therefore have gained knowledge.

15. albuster

albuster Member

The dumbing down of America in full display here. If you folks do not understand why books are important for the development of intelligence and wisdom among homo sapiens then there is no point in arguing with you. Just don't complain about your economic situation, the lack of jobs and financial opportunities, and why, really why jobs are fast disappearing in America and going to those countries in the world that emphasize the primacy of education, which of course, entails reading and comprehending numerous books. So if the sampling in this blog represents a large portion of the population then we are condemned to fail on all aspects of our society and individual lives.

For those people who do not value reading and proper education it is also common for them to blame racism and others for their failures and their failed economic and social status. The truth of the matter is that the real culprit for their failures is generally a lack of appreciation for education and appreciation for the opportunities that it provides. So the next time you fail in life look at yourselves first in the mirror before you blame others. You might also first take a look at the kind of education you chose to have. Oh, and yes, reading books is fundamental to getting proper education, there is just no way to go around it.

16. thainfamouspie

Most of us are not arguing these points, reading is definitely a strong foundation for enhancing one's mind in a lot of ways (intelligence, knowledge, imagination, conducting one's self, etc.). That is undebatable, and though your examples may be considered more on the extreme side since there are many reasons for a faulty economy, lack of jobs, and such, nobody can logically argue against the meaning of what you're saying. And yes, I'm an advocate of reading as well, through ANY medium (books, newspapers, whatever.) What I do NOT think is right is when people go beyond that in a very condescending manner, claiming to be superior to others who may not be as well-read. That's where people get offended.

17. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

i cant believe i got negatively repped for telling that idiot to shut his mouth. i wonder if he really knew what he was saying, he was just rambling a bunch of big words together. whoever negatively repped me can suck my dick. hows that for good grammar

18. delta69er

delta69er Member

Eh, I read whenever I can and I'm in college. And I'm not talking about just textbooks for class, but fiction, sci-fi, w/e.

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I haven't picked up a book (unless i really had to) in almost 5 years. I read everything on my laptop or iphone. but yeah, reading for fun is a lounging activity. Most people who are serious about their work don't have time for things like that unless it relates to their job or is something they can do with their family.

Reading books for fun is clearly an accurate measure of intelligence because a Robert Jordan book is going to impact my mind more than the Discovery Channel.

#59 bullardfan, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011