1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[USA Basketball] NYC Training Camp - Day 1

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by daeyeth, Aug 11, 2010.

1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

The team gets back together after a two week break. One thing I thought was interesting was how they totally stack one team in the scrimmages - White (Billups, Curry, Durant, Igoudala, Odom, Rose) vs Blue (Chandler, Gay, Gordon, Granger, Green, McGee, Rondo, Westbrook). I believe they do this intentionally actually. The White team is filled with players they consider a lock while the Blue are the ones competing for spots. I think they want to see who on the Blue team will step up their game in the face of adversity.

Excerpt:
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/together_again_2010_08_10.html

2. amazinghappens

They don't have that much size but I don't know how they stack up against the world teams.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

On the Blue team above, Chandler, Gay and Rondo are locks. On the White team, Curry is playing for a spot. Curry's chances might have improved now that Granger is out.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The team doesn't have a lot of size but from what I heard they plan on using their speed against other teams. I expect Durant, Rose, Curry and Billups to lead that team. I think losing Granger was a big blow though. Durant will probably put up godly numbers.

5. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I think Curry and Westbrook will be playing for a spot. I like Curry because of his shooting and his ability to drive the ball. Westbrook is solid and can play defense but lacks FT shooting and overall shooting.

6. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

That's news to me that Granger's out...man, that sucks, the injuries just keep piling up.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My read is the team is pretty well-defined now. Jeff Green will definitely be cut. After him, Eric Gordon and JaVale McGee.

That leaves:
    5 Chandler
    4/5 Love
    4/5 Odom
    3/4 Gay
    3/4 Durant
    2/3 Iggy
    2/3 Granger
    1/2 Westbrook
    1/2 Curry
    1 Rondo
    1 Rose
    1 Billups

If Granger is out because of his finger, either Gordon or McGee will make the 12-man final roster. My guess would be Gordon. I agree with them taking all 15 players to Europe.

To your comment, supposedly Curry and Gordon were fighting for a spot but that battle might be over. I don't think Westbrook is on the bubble.

8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I think Curry would be better fit for the team then Gordon.

9. itony

itony Member

i thought curry would be a lock with his shooting and iq

does anybody have a schedule of stuff that will show on tv?

10. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

11. itony

itony Member

12. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Ah, that sucks. All of the team's games will be shown on TV, I'm assuming on at those times listed in that schedule. The practice games, like the one vs France, will be shown on NBATV. And pretty sure all of Team USA's FIBA games will be shown on ESPN.

I'm sure some streaming site will have them up for you there

13. Htown's2kFinest

the game was fun watching them play on stage but I hated the red and blue court. it went into sudden death(yes sudden death like football) and Tyson Chandler won the game with an alley opp from Rondo. Iggy was flying everywhere and got player of the game. He showed why he belonged. Even Coach K calls him the athlete on the team. That's pretty impressive when he's on a team with some of the best athletes in the league i.e. Rose and Westbrook. Hope we can get him here as a Rocket one day.

14. itony

itony Member

well for anyone else interested here's a little something i just found:

• Sunday: USA vs. France, Madison Square Garden, 1 p.m. ET, ESPN2, ESPN3.com
    • Aug. 21: USA vs. Lithuania, Madrid, Spain, 3 p.m. ET, ESPN, ESPN3.com
    • Aug. 22: USA vs. Spain, Madrid, Spain, 3 p.m. ET, ESPN3.com
    • Aug. 25: USA vs. Greece, Athens, Greece, Noon ET, ESPN2, ESPN3.com

15. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

good find, thanks!

16. sime0n

sime0n Member

all of the actual fiba wbc games will be on espn3 including all games the us is not involved in