1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US waves white flag in disastrous 'war on drugs'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Zion, Feb 8, 2010.

1. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

Not legal, but decriminalized.

The Netherlands has a pretty sensible drug policy, they've realize that prohibition doesn't work. They've made Drug use into more of a health and social issue, than a criminal issue. Last I heard the Dutch were closing prisons due to the lack of criminals to put in them. Contrast this with California and their idiotic 3-strikes and you're out sentencing and you have a state thats on pace to spend more money(that they don't have) on prisons, then what they spend on their state universities. That sounds like a wise investment of money :rolleyes:

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

The Dutch drugs policy is one of the things I'm actually proud of. I believe that it is the only way to deal with drugs.

Because soft drug use is legal there is no taboo on it. which makes it less apealing to young adults. I think many of the dutch youth tries a soft drugs once and rarely do it after that.

In general you have more problems with people who drink alcohol than with people using soft drugs.

The conservatives in our country are actually trying to make the drugs policy more conservative, and not use the tolerate policy anymore. But i think/hope that they will not succeed.

3. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

The war on drugs is nothing compared to THE WAR ON SALT.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

Yet another insightful post, Shovel. :rolleyes:

5. dback816

dback816 Member

They're also a tiny country with a lot less diversity and social problems to begin with compared to US

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Actually, we could have a DRASTIC impact on the amount of smuggling as well as a meaningful impact on the number of problem drug users with one simple policy change.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Your claim is belied by the evidence from before prohibition was the law of the land. People could buy heroin and cocaine over the counter and at the time it was estimated that 1.3% of the population was addicted to drugs.

Meanwhile, after four DECADES of the "drug war," it is estimated that 1.3% of the population is addicted to drugs.

***Statistics provided by Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Not just lower, but about half what we have here in the States.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Are you honestly trying to claim that Holland can have a meaningful impact on rates of teen drug use, but that we can't?

I disagree.