1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US super-rich 'pay almost no income tax

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ChrisBosh, Jun 9, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you think 12% of the population suffers from malnutrition you're a liberal. We have food stamps and a very charitable population when it comes to food.

This is how debate works. Someone makes a statement. Someone challenges said statement. Then supporting facts are brought in. I'm the only one who has brought statistics to this argument. You challenged my Medicaid point and I responded, twice now

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, that's not what the median means. It doesn't show the services received by the poorest in either nation. That's what you were talking about until you changed the subject.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

Now let's look at your supporting statistics. 12% aren't malnurished. They live in food insecurity

The biggest myth about the American poor is that they are hungry

This is why I challenge all the bull about how bad it is here

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Are you showing those services? You really haven't posted anything definitive about why its so much better there

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

11% of the country experienced "food insecurity" in 2019. During the pandemic that number hit as high as 25%.

That's just about having enough to eat, not considering malnutrition, where the numbers probably skyrocket.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Food insecurity doesnt mean you aren't eating.

This is the definition

Food insecurity is defined as the disruption of food intake or eating patterns because of lack of money and other resources. ... Low food security: “Reports of reduced quality, variety, or desirability of diet. Little or no indication of reduced food intake.”[/]

https://www.google.com/search?q=foo...ndroid-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm talking about France and other European nations. But France was the named example I gave, so I'll post something which you may not read, will mistakenly or purposefully misunderstand, and then you will get mad and start cussing and name calling. It happens every single time. So let's get started.

You also have to realize that their line of poverty is higher than that of the United States. So a person who earns above the poverty line in the United States might still be considered impoverished in France.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/index.php?page=view&type=6&nr=20&menu=139

So the poor there are guaranteed medicine, housing, food, income, education, and other services. Money for hard hit industries is put into efforts to retrain and transition people back into the work force.

That is more than what is given to folks in poverty in the United States.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

food insecurity = hungry because you don't have enough money to eat.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

12% of the population does not get enough to eat. That is a fact.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Nearly 30 million Americans still do not have health insurance. Are you saying these people are not poor but middle class?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My first job out of college at a bank we had a customer who ran a well known charity feeding kids, feeding kids

The founder publicly got in trouble for misuse of funds. My boss whose wife was a Catholic School said something very telling. We don't need those charities. We don't let kids or any Americans go hungry. And when i thought about it it's true. You don't see Americans going hungry

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I bet a lot of them aren't poor. Prove me wrong oh great fact bringer

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I just posted the definition. Argue with that

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think fairness is a core human principle. All human wants to be treated fairly and have fair compensation. Fairness doesn't change, but what is exactly fair to each person (amount of things, food, security, whatever else) changes with time and place. For that, you can't compare the US in 2021 to the US in 1776, or the US today to France today. It's all cool historically and as a comparison to others, but it doesn't solve the current and local fairness principle that human want.

ps. did you know that one justification for slavery was that living in slavery was better than starving to death? Relativeness argument.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dude, of course they are poor, wtf. You need to prove the **** that you type.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you have kids and are poor in the United States you are guaranteed the same things

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Food insecure is the modern term for malnutrition. Food insecure means you don't get all your meals and yes, go hungry. That's the definition. Not sure whatever definition you are making up. Poor people go hungry. That is the fact.

You seem to believe there is this wonderful bounty called food stamps which solves the problem. You clearly have no idea how that program works.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No it's not the new term for malnourishment

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Not at the same rate, quality or type. You aren't guaranteed preventative health care, you aren't given an income level of the same percentage of the poverty line. You aren't guaranteed a pension.

This is regardless of whether or not they have children.