1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

US super-rich 'pay almost no income tax

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ChrisBosh, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Good grief. Just because poor people in America live better than poor people in Honduras, it doesn’t mean they are living well. A person doesn’t have to be starving to death to be struggling mightily.

glynch likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is living well. Poor people have housing, healthcare, and foodstamps

I argued with @Sweet Lou 4 2 about this. Poor people with Medicaid have better insurance than most middle class Americans. Prove me wrong

I don't want to argue health statistics just insurance

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem with your argument is that most of the people on medicaid are children and seniors - the working poor doesn't qualify for medicaid and unlike your assumption, most poor people work. So if you are arguing that people with medicaid have better insurance than people without it, no one is going to disagree with you. But your implication is that poor people have access to better healthcare than the middle class is complete bonkers.

Phillyrocket, Andre0087 and Newlin like this.
  5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Depends on how much they make. You can make up to $17k something and still qualify for medicaid as a single adult.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't want to get bogged down in insurance talk. But I did bring it up so

The avg single person monthly insurance premium is $448. You got kids, they are covered by CHIP or Medicaid.

That's a about a week's income for a poor person. Poor people aren't living large but the government does its part wIth assistance.

Hopefully we can move towards better universal coverage but when you are talking how poor people live in America there are qualifications you have to make for a discussion the first being poor people can't live like everyone else and there are gonna be limitations to their lifestyle

7. dmoneybangbang

What does the Bible say about the poor….

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

This is the elephant in the room that no one else has addressed yet. Ellison, Icahn and Musk using shares/options as collateral to take loans lets them keep deferring the need to realise those gains. If they renounce citizenship and migrate to a tax haven when they retire before realizing the gains, do they get to escape paying capital gains to the US? (Even if they can't escape, having more liquidity now and paying taxes later lets them accumulate more wealth, so its still a big benefit for them.)

IMO, the premium value of the stock options (priced according to market value or at least the delta value vs the underlying share price) issued for compensation should be taxed on issuance.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's very hard to qualify for medicaid, and it varies from state to state. In florida, it's $15K for a single person. In otherwords, if you make more than $300 a week in Florida, you won't qualify.

The elderly, children, and disabled make up over 70% of the folks on medicaid. The idea that this is something a ton of poor people on who want to freeload is a myth.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it is more of a priority there.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What's more of a priority where?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't say poor people want to freeload. All I said at the start was poor people live well here

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Taking care of the poor is more of a priority in much of Europe than it is here. As a result they most unfortunate in those places live better than the most unfortunate here. In places like Honduras where they have much fewer resources, it makes sense that the most unfortunate are having a harder time.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Define better

16. dmoneybangbang

Try it sometime.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nip0
    Same to you

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I mean much less homelessness, more services, Healthcare etc. The underprivileged in many European nations have a better quality of life than the underprivileged here in the US.

You can be okay with that concept or not, but it is the way that it is.

glynch likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The median household income of the United States is twice that of France

I hesitated to type this because I couldn't believe the difference

20. Buck Turgidson

Sorry friend, but you are pretty much 100% full of ****.

jiggyfly and ThatBoyNick like this.