1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US media decide to ignor this protest in LA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rfila, Apr 21, 2008.

1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Exactly. And 1500 people is NOTHING. Dave2000 has a clutchfans mailing list bigger then that. And he gets them all out to games. I've been at many protests bigger then that.

I'd say this thing got much more press then it deserved.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure, your typical "talking head" pseudo-journalist guy/gal. I'm very aware of Snow's political bias, but he impressed me with how he handled his illness... with a lot of grace and a lot of class.

Impeach Bush and Send Him to Tibet on a Mission... to sell Snow Cones.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A violent hockey protest in Canada still might not make the news in the US. ;)

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

It wasn't a protest. It was a celebration :cool:

But you wouldn't know about getting through the first round of NHL playoffs in Minnisota ;)

(says the guy who's team didn't even make the post season :( ).

5. rfila

rfila Member

My intent? I was just stating a fact that the US media are not as objective as they claim to be and they are even less trust worth when it comes to intenational related stuff.

What did I expect? I did not expect anything because I knew those CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX would not even give ONE minute coverage while it sure would be a "breaking news" if it was thousands of people protesting outside of Chinese Embassy.

Yeah, you are right, it was covered by the news. But what kind of coverage? Some net news? Even this AP article was playing down the protest by starting with "Chinese-Americans rallied outside CNN's Hollywood office on Saturday to demand the firing of commentator Jack Cafferty for calling that nation's goods "junk" and its leaders a "bunch of goons and thugs." That is NOT what this protest was about.

You mentioned somewhere you were originally frm China. I am really surprised you ended your reply with this: "I would hesitate to call it racist though as it did seem more directed at the country than at a race or an ethnicity." How come an insult to a country is not an insult to its people?

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What I would like to know is why the Chinese hate Minnesota with such a passion?

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Idiot people like this really give their respective groups/race/religion/whatever a bad name. If everyone doesn't kiss China's ass then they cry foul. The Mecca Mean Time thread is the same way. Not EVERYTHING revolves around China or Islam or whatever else you are trying to cry about.

How's this? If this story was front page news, I still wouldn't give a **** and neither should you. Who cares if some idiot guy on CNN thinks that China produces junk.

As an American, if some journalist or politician in our own country, much less from another says something bad about the US, I wouldn't give two craps about it. I wouldn't care if they were right or wrong. Stop being a whiny girl about it.

8. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

when was the last time that western media said anything remotely positive about china in the last 20 years? i don't recall a thing. if you repeatedly attack a country/government, it's citizen abroad are affected by this bias. for example, if you support the government, people will think you are crazy. if you don't, you are looked as a traitor at home. either way, you lose. most people rather support the country no matter what. and then they are criticized for doing so.

and if this is not discrimination, then i don't know what it is. except, this discrimination is allowed, unlike others are not.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why do Chinese Americans, who presumably left China for a better opportunity, love China so much and defend her at all costs?

10. yuantian

there is no reason to hate your motherland. i understand if someone was personally hurt by the government, if they dislike/hate china. but that's just the few. there is no need for hatred. but all the negativity, i don't know how it was during the cold war against USSR. but i am pretty sure other countries have never gotten so much negativity, outside of some of the countries in middle east.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Which country gets all the love?

12. yuantian

i don't think they are asking to be "loved". but it's almost like the start of organized discrimination. criticism is fine, we criticize the government too. i think it's getting out of hand. like i said before, i haven't heard any positive news about china in the last 20 years. when a country is feeding 1.3 billion people and most people are enjoying their lives, it just doesn't happen that way if the government is "evil" like it's been described by the media/people, especially recently.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you should look inside, weigh the issues, and say what you really believe, instead of basing your response on what people in China or the US will think of you. That always works for me.

If you are saying you support China because you think that is what other Chinese want to hear - because you think that is the response that will be most effective for you (not because you believe it or not)... I really don't know where to start with the problems I have with that.

14. yuantian

i haven't done anything to support or against in the last 15 years. i don't plan on getting into politics. the reason i support now is because i was born there, that's where my ancestors are from. it's a place that i respect. it has absolutely nothing to do with what other people think or want to hear or say. it's my own view. i don't think a lot of the reports are justified. just because you are a journalist in a free country doesn't mean your news is unbiased. personally, i feel like this is a start to what may become a public organized discrimination against us here.

15. bucket

bucket Member

Wow... if most of China feels this way, that's 1,000,000,000+ people with a blind sense of unconditional nationalism and a persecution complex.

Bad mix, no?

16. rfila

rfila Member

I can see you do not care a lot of things which others may care about. And those you call idiots may actually think you are an idiot.

BTW, this thread is not about crying no love to China, not about CNN trash/racist talk. It is about objectivity and honesty of the US media. And the LA protest is just an exmple of how much they lack of.

While CNN claim itself the worldwide news leader, there are plenty of people in the world call it worldwide liar leader.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm sorry but that just reminds me of this article:
    Chinese April Fools

The China Youth Daily, an official state newspaper of China, published a variety of fake stories on its front page. This made it the first Chinese paper since the Communist Revolution to celebrate April Fool's Day.

The stories included an announcement that Ph.D. holders would be exempt from the state-imposed one-child limit. The logic behind this decision was supposedly that it would reduce the need in the future to invite as many foreign experts into the country to help with the state's modernization effort. Despite a disclaimer beneath the story identifying it as a joke, the report was repeated as fact by Hong Kong's New Evening News and by Agence France-Presse, an international news agency.

Apparently what made the hoax seem credible to many was that intellectuals in Singapore are encouraged to marry each other and have children, and China's leaders are known to have great respect for the Singapore system.

The China Youth Daily also reported a number of other spoof stories. For instance, it announced that a major eastern city was engaging in a city improvement project to deliver beer-on-tap to residential homes, and that Peking's ancient Qianmen Gate would be leased to a Hong Kong businessman who would use it to stage a laser light show and an exhibition of trade marks. Finally it advertised offers for real estate speculation on the moon.

The Chinese government responded to the paper's hoaxes by condemning April Fool's Day as a dangerous Western tradition. The Guangming Daily, Beijing's main newspaper for intellectuals, ran an editorial stating that April Fool's jokes "are an extremely bad influence." It went on to declare that, "Put plainly, April Fool's Day is Liar's Day."

18. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

haha, That tells me right there this is written by someone who doesn't understand Chinese culture and inner working of things and just taking a quote out of context for what it's worth.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The article was from "Top 100 April Fool Hoaxes". Take it for what it's worth.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think most Americans would consider Chinese to be racially Asian. Criticism of China being considered racism is just over the top. I can't really think of another country in the world where that would be considered the case. Israel maybe is that militant to consider criticism of Israel to be anti-semitism.