1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US media decide to ignor this protest in LA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rfila, Apr 21, 2008.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Well even that is only a partial fraction of the multi-trillion dollar military expenditure that includes dozens of proxy-wars across the globe, countless weaponry development projects, and large-scale subsidization of corporations tied to the military complex.

Our leading exports sent out of the US are our own debt, and of course misery. And it should be noted that China isn't even by any stretch the largest holder of our debt. They just happen to be a convenient scapegoat for our politicians to target in the media as a distraction from the true underlying catalysts for our economic deterioration.

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

FYI, nationalism was strong before CCP even came to power. Try to read a little back into Chinese history.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I've read quite a bit more than you assume I have. Everything I've read indicates that up until the period of the CCP, people always though and identified first in provincial terms.

#43 Ottomaton, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THat's what the Northern China - Southern China family smackdowns on the BBS tend to indicate, with Manchu Warlord MFW galloping around the Internet on his mighty steed driving off the barbarian hordes much like his forefathers, sneering at his limp-wristed southern cousins who singlehandedly allowed British humiliation into their homes.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't quite get what is the intent of this thread is. The title seems to indicate it is lack of media coverage on a protests against CNN while much of it seems to be upset at what Cafferty said.

If it is upset about the lack of media coverage well it as has been shown it was covered by the news. Given that there is an important primary going on, gas prices have hit yet another all time high, more things unfurling in the FLDS situation and Earth Day I'm not sure what the original poster is expecting.

If it is what Cafferty said I agree it overly harsh and not well thought out and if Chinese feel slighted by it they should complain. That said I would hesitate to call it racist though as it did seem more directed at the country than at a race or an ethnicity.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yet that hasn't stopped you from living here or earning a living here.

I can understand your desire to defend the PRC but it doesn't make sense for someone willingly living here to do so by trying to paint the US as bad or worse than the PRC.

7. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

The original poster is expecting nothing. He just tried to point out a very simple fact: in western society, demonizing China gets coverage while pro-China gets ignored. Get it?

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except that the protest did get covered. The fact that he cited the AP in his original post proves that.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can bet if it was 1500 people protesting outside of Chinese Consulate there will be major coverage by all major medias, that's just the way it is in the US.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hmm, that's pretty sad. I just found it odd that CNN would hire a former Bush press sec. and former Fox News shill.

Then again, I'm not even sure whether CNN had this mythical standard of Golden journalism. Talking heads like Cafferty existed in the 80s when everyone feared Japan taking over.

I'm guessing back then there wasn't a competitive zeal to out ugly the other side?

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is speculation. It is a fact though that this was covered. The original poster seems upset that it wasn't front page news.

There was a protest last weekend in front of MN State Capital with about a 1000 people over increasing the gas tax and I saw little or no mention of it in the national news. Should I complain that it is anti-Minnesota bias that it got little coverage on major national media?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm presuming though they didn't hire him to report the news but for editorializing.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If they insist on hiring another GOP shill, they could do worse.

Impeach Bush and Send Him to Tibet on a Mission... to sell Snowcones.

14. pirc1

The only us media coverage that is pretty even handed for the most part about China is NPR. All the other major news media have build in bias against China more or less.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, which is it? More... or less?

Impeach Bush and Send Him to Tibet on a Mission... to sell Snow Cones.

16. pirc1

depending on the host and media outlet.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

The US media bias is ratings and circulation. What sells. It's a b**** for objectivity, but there's no anti-china bias. There's no **agenda**

(and, for what it's worth, 6000 people protested drug laws in Vancouver on Sunday and it got no national coverage. Didn't even make the front page of the local papers).

A 1500 person peaceful protest is nothing. Burn cars, loot stores, give us something to talk about. Take a cue from Montreal hockey fans if you want coverage.

18. pirc1

Even it is rating driven, that just means the people in the US like to read bad press about China, which in turn causes media bias.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well the new thing in town is news editorializing. We'll see how his numbers are and go from there...

There's a perverse paradox in peaceful demonstrations. It seems like it has to get bloody or violent in order for attention to follow.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So stories by CNN and the AP don't count as major media coverage. I'm sure Agence France Presse and Reuters really offered wall-to-wall coverage of this pressing issue.