1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US media decide to ignor this protest in LA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rfila, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rfila

rfila Member

I certainly could talk about the details and logic with your post. Somehow I remember what you said in another post two days ago: "Chinese are without a doubt the most rude, the most selfish, people on the Planet." So I decide just let it go, it does not worth my time.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

don't forget our war in Iraq

3. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

It was a peaceful demonstration. How much coverage would you expect from our bias-free western media. :rolleyes:

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Snow was a good hire by CNN. He's more civil and less outrageous than some of the other talking heads on the Right. I don't have a problem with it. I won't agree with the vast majority of what he'll say, but Tony Snow is an improvement over what they've had.

Impeach Bush and Send Him to Tibet on a Mission... to sell Snowcones.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't understand the Chinese flip flopping race and nationality. If Cafferty said Zimbabwe produced a bunch of lead tainted products, produced all the cheap junk that's sold at Wal-Mart, and that they were the same goons and thugs that have been running things the last 50 years not a single person would consider that a racist statement. This is turning into the NBA equivalent of one team's fans reading the road team's newspaper articles to see how they're covered and wondering why they get no love.

6. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

It goes back to nationalism and how you define "the nation". In different parts of the world, the idea of the nation is more closely tied to the people/ethnic group/race... and that goes back 100+ years. China, while not alone, happens to be one of those places. When an outsider criticizes "China", it is more often than not seen as an expression of racism toward Chinese people.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A CHINESE professor on NPR this morning made an interesting but cautious comparison between China now and Germany in the interwar period - both unapologetically nationalist and intent on making a name for themselves to avenge previous perceived insults to national pride.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe people in LA were too busy watching Forbidden Kingdom..it was the #1 movie in America! :D

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

As someone said on this board, cheap/junk goods are for cheap/junk people. Supply is hand-in-hand with demand, CommieWin.

The hoopla surrounding lead-painted products is laughable. Lead-based paint wasn't banned in the U.S. until 1978. Is it true that the generations born before 1978 are r****ds as a result of too much lead "consumption", or is it that the generations born after are too dumb NOT to eat lead? :confused:

What's interesting is that China, which currently ranks 3rd in the world in patent applications and where lead-paint is prevalent, has also provided U.S. a bunch of scientists and engineers, who are the leading ethnic force in American technological innovations.

#29 wnes, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Lead paint: It's not that bad!
    :confused:

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

It sure is, but the badness, especially when it's politicized, is overblown.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Professor? Nope. An author and *former* government official, that's it.

The so-called nationalism, as NPR put it, apparently is not stirred up by PRC government, but is the result of grass roots effort world wide.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I didn't know that your countryman was a former government official, his imprimatur on the similarities between Chinese and 1930's German nationalism really strikes a chord - do you have his name? I was scurrying about this AM listening to the radio, applying my usual dose of pomade, and packing up my gymnasium-attire, as I plan on stopping by the racket-club for a bit of a work-out later. Anyway he sounds like he has some interesting opinions.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The audio link can be found on NPR website.

I don't think his opinion, which is heavily edited by NPR, is that interesting. The perceived similarity is non-existent at worst, and trivial at best. The key distinction is the role government plays. As I said earlier, the anti-western media effort is grass-roots, spontaneous, and little to do with the government of PRC. Stability has been one of the top priorities of China for decades, and still is.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is what the Chinese equivalent of Joseph Goebbels is for. When you have state managed media homogeny for 50 years, you can make people react homogenously. How many people in Germany really believed that the Jews were the cause of all the problems in Germany before Goebbels and Rosenberg became the state sanctioned voice which shaped the news? Would all of Germany have hated Jews if those two hadn’t been publishing Völkischer Beobachter and censoring other publications?

This is a blow-back effect on the Chinese Communist Party incessant repetition of the themes of national unity and harmony of thought. National unity equals angry nationalism and harmony of thought equals intolerance of different ideas. I don't think the CPC intended this nationalistic anger to happen but they absolutely and certainly are the source of the effect.

Keeping the lid on free expression doesn't help either. Like with a pot of water, when you put a lid on a pot over a flame, there is no sign of trouble until pressure causes it to boil over. A lidless pot never inhibits pressure, and so steam is released constantly at a low rate. It makes more constant noise, but doesn't result in violent reactions. The pot is now boiling over. Soon it will be over and the pressure will build until it boils again in 10 or so years.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Overseas Chinese are not subject to PRC state controlled media propaganda, uber dork.

17. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

You were born into the system. Indoctrinated at a young age. I know you can't help it, bigguangzhouuu. I don't hold it against you.

And most of the relevant protests are occuring within the borders of China, thus reinforcing my point.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

You were born in a racist country that has a history of slavery, dork. I can't help but think you are nothing but a white supremacist.

19. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, other than your inability to avoid tantrum-like outbursts. Perhaps what I say is close enough to the mark that it causes you distress and you feel the need to lash out? Is that the problem?

You are certainly welcome to think all sorts of things that aren't true. You can think I'm a Sufi Dervish, if it makes you happy. Personally, I don't care. Calling me a white supremacist is so far from the truth that I can laugh at it, like whichever Chinese poster it was that called me a neocon. LOL.

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What you see as tantrum-like outbursts are my way of dismissing nonsensical dorky drivels. If you like, the feeling is mutual.