1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

upgrade our bench / get kyle lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by akiracy, May 13, 2008.

1. akiracy

akiracy Member

i see a lot of threads lately suggesting to get after so and so that are out of our reach (melo, ai, mle to subpar players, and to a certain extent calderon)

our starting 5 can compete with the best of them. our bench? not even close. we have a lot of people coming off the bench, which concerns me, because its quality over quantity. most of these guys are 1 dimensional players.

we only need 3-4 quality back ups
    -pg
    -wing
    -pf/c

im only addressing one of them in this thread, probably the most important, cause it killed us in the playoffs

backup pg, we should go after kyle lowry of the grizzlies. 6'1 bulky guard, can slash/shoot the mid range j, play good d, and is passionate. his only major flaw is his outside shot.

he looks like hes the 3rd string pg right now for the grizz, behind conley and j crit, so they will have no problem trading him.

now heres where my ulterior motive comes in, we can trade him straight up for filler + 2nd round pick or we can go for a package of lowry and miller. which we can then offer bjax, our 1st and landry, and quite possibly some filler (head)

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's a pretty good bench player, but ANOTHER MIDGET? pass

3. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

trading landry will leave our front court a HUGE hole

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Other teams will come up with better offers than that.

5. akiracy

akiracy Member

i already stated that i was only addressing the pg problem in this thread, we have too many problems with our bench that can be addressed in 1 offseason move anyways.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Name them and the offers they will come up with.

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

You cant address one problem and create another and expect people not to say something about it.

Thats like saying to address the PG problem we trade Yao for Deron Williams. Our PG situation would be solved but we would be a much worse team.

8. akiracy

akiracy Member

yea except im addressing our bench who plays maybe half the minutes the starters do, makes less of an impact and is easier to replace. not to mention its harder to find a quality pg than it is to find a quality big man

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

We didnt really have PG problems, see how well Rafer did? Lets give him one more year and if he does bad, Im all for shipping him out or getting a new PG...

for now Brooks or BJax (if he isnt shipped this offseason) can do the job

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I forgot to add Brooks and Bjax for the becnh*

11. akiracy

akiracy Member

i was suggesting lowry off the bench

12. playlife

playlife Member

we should have gotten Lowry with the Battier trade :D

13. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I think this idea has already been posted in one of the many other offseason transaction threads :rolleyes:

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Pretty much any team with some decent expiring contracts or cap room and higher picks than ours.

I mean, a 2nd rounder for Lowry? Really?

15. jopatmc

So name them. You guys have been rattling that other teams will offer more for Miller than we can. I'd like to know what other teams would want him bad enough to be willing to pay more than the Rockets would. You guys keep making that statement but you don't provide the logic.

16. akiracy

akiracy Member

i said filler + 2nd rounder, which means anyone on our bench to play it safe.

i never know the responses i'll get on this board, they overrate some players and underrate others

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I was refering more to Lowry than I was to Miller wise guy. I think it's pretty damn obvious that there would be a lot of teams that would give up more than a late 2nd round pick and "filler" for him. And tossing him into a deal like he's filler? Unlikely, though it would be a coup.

As far as Miller goes, the rockets would obviously be in the running for him based pretty much solely on the expirings. But the rockets don't really have a whole lot to offer other than that. So it gives a lot of room for other teams to beat any offer the rox put on the table, save the rockets doing something crazy like take on cardinal's contract or something akin to that.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well usually filler = trash players to match contracts.

So are you saying Aaron Brooks + 2nd for Lowry?

Are you saying a resigned Landry + a 2nd for Lowry?

Because those are the only 2 bench players on our team that are worth a damn to anybody that's paying attention.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Possibly...

NY: Marbury (exp) for Miller (2yrs) +Collins (exp) +Cardinal (2yrs)
    *Knick's move a cancer
    *Grizzlies save c. $16M in 09-10.

IND: Foster (exp) for Miller
    *Indiana's coach wanted another SG so Dunleavy could play SF.
    *Grizzlies still looking for frontcourt depth.

MIL: Mason (exp) +CharlieV (exp) for Miller

SAC: Artest (exp if he doesn't opt out) for Miller

CHI: Gooden (exp) for Miller

LAC: Maggette (exp if he doesn't opt out) for Miller

POR: LaFrentz (exp) for Miller + Cardinal
    *Nate Mc gets the veteran he wants added for next season.
    *Grizzlies save c. $16M in 09-10.

MIA: Blount (exp) + lottery pick for Miller +Crittenton/Conley/Lowry

CLE: Snow (exp) + 2008 19th draft pick for Miller

SEA: Green + Ridnour/Watson (2ys) for Miller (2yrs) +Crittenton/Conley/Lowry

20. jopatmc

NY isn't gonna take on junk salary with a new GM and coach.

Indy? Foster over expirings and a pick or two???? I would think Memphis would prefer expirings and picks, which is what we have to offer. And even though Foster is expiring, Indy is looking to add to their team in an area of need, point guard, or center, not a strength, SG and SF.

Milwaukee? Two guys that play the same position as Rudy Gay?

Sac? Artest? Bring in a nutjob on an expiring contract that is not going to stay there to lead a bunch of kids? Why would Memphis want that?

Chicago? Gooden? adding a salaried banger? Don't see that one either.

Clips? Maggette? He's looking for big money and a contender. They gonna re-sign him, because if they don't, they're essentially trading for an expiring contract without any picks.

Portland? They're looking for defense. And they've already got scorers at the wing positions. They're not going to take on salary just to add Miller.

The Miami deal is a joke. No way Memphis adds Blount's contract just to pick up Miller and no way Miami dumps their lotto pick on essentially two rotation players.

CLEVELAND: Now there's a doable deal since Snow is expiring and they are getting a pick also. However, Cleveland has Wally world at $12 million, why would they add essentially the same player for another $8 million? That wouldn't make sense. Cleveland needs help worse at other spots on the floor, specifically at the point and big man spots.

Seattle: Sideways deal. Memphis taking back major salary at a position where they already are young. Seattle giving up on Green and taking on a vet scorer's contract. I don't see either side wanting that deal.

Bottom line on Miller is Memphis has to be looking for young cheap talent, draft picks and expirings. We're one of the few, logical candidates that could provide them with the expirings and future picks.