1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Updated 5 year outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 2, 2019.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If Yuli continues his pace through the playoffs an extension would not surprise me in the least.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have Jeremy Peña manning SS and tearing up the world. At first base is La Piña, defying age and the world's expectations this postseason.

Our path forward for continued dominance is clear.

1. Find a talented, scrappy center fielder named La Poña. Fans will affectionally tell opposing fans that he pwns them everytime he excels. La Poña pretends not to notice. But he does. He does.
    2. Trade for a swaggering catcher named La Puña. Puña is a very catcher sounding name. He will be defense first and will have a very odd looking squat that other catchers will begin imitating when it is clear that it is somehow better. Fans will argue over whether his defense is good enough to justify his weak bat. In an effort to improve fan unity, Puña becomes an all-star level hitter. He is so beloved that we all pretend to not notice that his name is a homonym for poon.
    3. International scouts find a young high school age kid named La Paña. He is known throughout his country as the Breadwinner. He plays left field primarily but can effectively play every position on the field. The consummate utility man who maintains an OBP over .400, Marwin Gonzalez is so impressed that he becomes Paña's personal assistant, his primary job function being to always carry fresh baked rolls with him to hand out to fans (and to sign autographs on).
    4. And finally, after Justin Verlander leaves the team for a big payday, the Astros discover that one of their 24 year old field management personnel is named La Pyña. No one even remembers hiring the guy and he's never played baseball before. But when they hand him a ball, he suddenly throws 101 mph fastballs dotting the corners with ungodly breaking pitches that somehow manage to warp time and space. La Pyña doesn't want a million dollar contact. He is content to win Cy Youngs for years to come on the minimum salary and if he gets to continue to maintain the Minute Maid park field. He also gets elected mayor in 3 years.
    Get it done, Click.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2027 Houston Astros

L: Drew Gilbert (CF)
    R: Alex Bregman (3B)
    L: Yordan Alvarez (DH/ LF)
    L: Kyle Tucker (RF)
    R: Jeremy Pena (SS)
    R: Yainer Diaz (1B/ 3rd C)
    L: Colin Barber (LF/CF)
    R: Pedro Leon (2B/RF/CF)
    R: Korey Lee (C)

Bench: Jose Altuve, Ryan Clifford, David Hensley, ( veteran b/u catcher)

SP: Hunter Brown (R)
    SP: Framber Valdez (L)
    SP: Lance McCullers Jr. (R)
    SP: Cristian Javier ( R)
    SP: Jayden Murray ( R)
    SP: Spencer Arrighetti ( R)

Closer: Bryan Abreu (R)
    RP: Shawn Dubin (R)
    RP: Alimber Santa (R)
    RP: Miguel Ullola (R)
    RP: Colton Gordon (L)
    RP: Misael Tamarez (R)
    RP: Andrew Taylor (R)

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

dmoneybangbang and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

Yuli
    Uncle Mike
    JV

Will all be back next year. BOOK IT!!!!

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I will prolly take another look and post after thanksgiving. I actually think we will find out a lot in the next few weeks. Verlander negotiations could move quickly and what happens there will define Houston’s offseason. We will know how bad Maldy is hurt and whether or not he is retiring. We’ll probably have more info on the manager and GM situations. In the meantime, the changes have mostly been very positive (Pena, Javier, Abreu, Brown, McCormick) since I posted this:

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was very confident Houston would get at least 1 extension done so I was waiting to update this thread. I'll post how I see the outlook after the Javier extension, with the hopes that it will quickly need updating due to add'l extensions:

2023:
    C: Maldonado, Lee; 1.5 fwar, $5.2M
    IF: Abreu, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Dubon, Hensley; 14.6 fwar, $65.5M
    OF: Tucker, Meyers, Brantley, Alvarez, McCormick; 14.5 fwar, $41.6M
    SP: Valdez, McCullers, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia, Brown; 12 fwar, $41.8M
    RP: Pressly, Stanek, Neris, Maton, Montero, Abreu, others; 3.5 fwar, $42.1M

Projections: 48.2 fWAR, $195.5M
    Summary: This currently another 95-105 win team with $20-30M in payroll flexibility, assuming Crane is willing to flirt with going over the competitive balance tax threshold. There is upside in the rotation and at SS; the downside only really lies in potential injuries. This is another true World Series contender.

2024:
    Losses: Maldonado, Brantley, Maton, Neris (if he doesn't trigger his option), Stanek
    Prospects ready: Yainer Diaz, Joe Perez, Pedro Leon, Justin Dirden, Forrest Whitley, Shawn Dubin, JP France, Misael Tamarez
    Arbitration class: Tucker, McCormick, Dubon, Valdez, Garcia, Urquidy, Bryan Abreu
    Projections: 51 fwar, $188M
    Summary: 95-105 wins with $20-50M in payroll open. Valdez and Tucker will carry significant arb salaries. But the holes are minor; the farm should be able to backfill the bullpen departures, and surely a bat will emerge from the current AAA group to replace Brantley. The real question is starting catcher. But even if they do nothing, they will still field a roster on part with all the great teams since 2017 so long as the farm fills in the bullpen. It is unquestionable that they should still be contending and if things break right, this could be one of the all-time great rosters.

2025:
    Losses: Altuve, Bregman, Neris, Pressly (if he doesn't trigger his option)
    Prospects ready: Will Wagner, Zach Daniels, Jordan Brewer, JC Correa, Grae Kessinger, Jaime Melendez, Spencer Arrighetti, Jayden Murray, Jairo Solis, other pitchers
    Arbitration class: Tucker, Meyers, McCormick, Dubon, Pena, Valdez, Urquidy, Garcia, Abreu
    Projections: 45 fwar, $166M (includes Pressly's $15M and Neris' $8.5M)
    Summary: Losing Altuve and Bregman drops the projection to 90-100 wins, but those 2 also open up some payroll, although some of that will be eaten by recent extensions and projected arb raises. The emergence of Pena, Brown, and Javier and extending Alvarez means this team is still very likely to contend, although unless they spend significant money or have a prospect break out then this team won't quite be on par with previous years. Aside from 2B and 3B, the roster projects to be stacked, but losing both Altuve and Bregman is bound to be felt.

2026:
    Losses: Tucker, Jose Abreu, Valdez, Urquidy, Montero, Pressly
    Prospects ready: Cristian Gonzalez, Colin Barber, Drew Gilbert, Jacob Melton, Ryan Clifford, Tyler Whitaker, Colton Gordon, Andrew Taylor, Alex Santos, Miguel Ullola, Alimber Santa, others
    Arbitration class: Lee, Pena, McCormick, Dubon, Yainer Diaz, Hensley, Meyers, Hunter Brown, Luis Garcia, Blake Taylor
    Projections: 38 fWAR, $109M
    Summary: Here's where things get dicey, as it is difficult to confidently project a surefire contending Astros team that does not include Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, or Valdez. Making no moves, the team would project for 85-95 wins with over $100M in available payroll. The rotation would still feature McCullers, Javier, Garica, and Brown, while the stock of arms currently in the upper levels of the farm would indicate the bullpen should be plenty healthy. So whether or not Houston can continue the dynasty would depend on the long-term core of Pena, Alvarez and prospects. They will have money to patch a couple of significant holes, but they will need 1-2 prospect to pan out into above average regulars or better to be as good as they've been since 2017. The good news is that by this point the farm should be on the upswing as they will have (hopefully) had 5 straight years of drafts with a full complement of picks.

2027:
    Losses: McCormick, Dubon, McCullers, Garcia, Bryan Abreu
    Prospects ready: Kenny Gomez, Dauri Lorenzo, Luis Baez, Sandro Gaston, Jose Fleury, others
    Arbitration class: Lee, Pena, Yainer Diaz, Hensley, Meyers, Hunter Brown
    Projections: 36 fWAR, $81M
    Summary: The losses on the position player side should be easily absorbed by the farm, and I am fairly optimistic in the farm's ability to replace McCullers and Garcia, so how they address the 2026 holes will likely also determine how 2027 looks, and for now they'd project to 80-90 wins. Still, there will be loads of payroll flexibilty, so the 2027 outlook should be very similar to 2025 and 2026; the team will be good, and a rebuild is very unlikely to be necessary, but it remains to be seen if they can get enough via player development, trades, extensions, and free agency to keep these teams on par with 2017-2023.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Well, I guess I’m gonna be spending a good amount of money on Astros playoff tickets for the foreseeable future. What a wonderful problem

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With Javier in tow 26 is looking good.

Probably not enough established talent to win 95 games, but we have 3 whole years to assemble more talent from the farm, which is plenty, and cap space.

Unless the farm becomes complete garbage at producing talent I think we're sitting pretty for 2026.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. Tucker extension probably fixes 27 as well.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say the three years is key as the Astros still need depth for 2026. I've been really happy with the FA signings as they buy the Astros time to replenish depth on the farm. Astros really don’t need much from farm now besides 1-2 guys a year (i.e. the farm is fine considering how great the MLB team is, but would not be good for a rebuilding team), but whiffing on the 2020 and 2021 drafts hurts.

Caveat: If Crane increases his budget significantly to keep guys like Bregman, the Astros will be fine.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How can you judge 20 and 21 yet or do you mean not having first round picks

Bregatron likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Getting Tucker on an reasonable extension would be a F@#$ing A move. Javier is one of my favorite pitchers because I like guys that succeed at the extremes, but I have a lot more faith that Tucker is going to be a great player for a while.

Snake Diggit and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not having 1st or 2nd round picks guarantees those 4 picks are busts. The 2021 draft was built around saving money from lower picks for the third and fourth round picks. The 4th round pick ended up not signing making that 5 busts among the top 8 draft picks. Whitaker and Santos, the top picks actually drafted and signed, have not produced even at low levels yet. Spencer Arrighetti and Colton Gordon are the only ones I can think of that are actually producing above A ball still in the system. It's going to take all 4 of Whitaker, Santos, Arrighetti, and Gordon (or someone else) to be big hits as MLB players to make those two drafts produce an average amount for the Astros.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Considering only Bregman, Tucker, and McCullers were high draft picks, I think it will hurt us less than it would any other team. Now if they prevented us from international signings, that would hurt bad.

16. Buck Turgidson

Isn't that pretty much the MLB-wide draft average?

The Beard and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Absolutely. Draft production usually ends up being super concentrated into just a few players, across all teams, but in terms of “average”, a team should expect:

-their 1st round pick to be an average regular (although there’s tons of variance in expectation between the top, middle, and end of the round)

-their 2nd round pick to be a fringe regular or bench player

-and that from round 3-10, a few guys will reach the majors as bench/AAAA/cup-of-coffee guys.

In terms of averages nothing should be expected after the 10th round.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The 2020 draft was essentially a lottery where the Astros didn’t have a ticket; there should have been no expectation they’d get anything out of it. But I think it’s premature to write it off. The 2021 draft was built around Whitaker and he was considered a fairly long term project due to needing his swing rebuilt, so it’s too early to judge. But really it doesn’t make sense to me to label a team as having “whiffed” on a draft where they didn’t have 1st round or 2nd round picks.

Bregatron likes this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

In Astros fashion, someone like Justin Dirden breaks out and fills the slot you lose when Brantley leaves next year.

Their development is A plus.

The Beard likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

People really don’t fundamentally understand how little talent comes through the draft. If you do a redraft 10 years later typically most fans won’t remember a single guy past pick 15 or 20 and that’s with perfect hindsight in a redraft 10 years later. It’s crazy.