1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Updated 5 year outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 2, 2019.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

5 year outlook, updated: still incredible to be an Astros fan

MadMax, IBTL and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s short hand for all the stupid **** he does. Dubon hitting high in the order. As you completely ignored sitting Chaz against lefties and hitting him against RHP. Shorthand man. For stupid decisions that should never be made. Even in the regular season.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nope... I've questioned his sitting of Chas against LHP multiple times.

What current manager would you have taken over Baker this season?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I just want to point out, while Chas is a below average hitter against RHPs, he was still better than Dubon and Meyers this year (i.e., he should easily have been a fulltime starter* ever since Brantley went down).

*This should not be construed that Chas is the best player in the world. He's a valuable player the way Urquidy is a valuable pitcher (i.e., not the greatest, but fine players).

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Dusty's lineups frequently made me nuts.

But now it's time to give him credit because those lineups resulted in:
    • Best record in the AL
    • 2nd best record in 61 year history of the team
    • Best record of any team in LCS
    Doesn't the manager have an obligation ( as long as a playoff spot is made) to
    • Rest players to be fresh for the playoffs
    • See all players in all situations to be better prepared for the playoffs and to make those choices when it counts
    • Help young guys grow by putting them in new and harder positions and situations
    • Know what your team and each player can and can not do, or are at least better or worse at.
    Dusty wants to win each game but there is a bigger picture and sometimes you need to let something not work in order to know not to don't when it counts

Notice Dubon is not starting any games? And that he is being pinch hit for even when he does?

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah I’m fine with him playing against RHP some. What I meant was the series where you’d pull your hair out bc he hit against both RHP and got the day off against a LHP.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's crazy how good this organization has been.

I remember all the conversations in 2016 about needing to cash in on the window while the core of Altuve,Correa,Springer, McCullers and Keuchel were still team controlled. We're past that point for all of them and the team still looks locked in for at least 3 more seasons.

raining threes and Joe Joe like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On his lineups results, the Astros likely win 2-3 more games if he plays lineups in a more optimal fashion (i.e., considering the health of the pitchers and the Yankees stumbling in July and August, manager wasn't much of a factor in the best record in the AL). I have no problem resting players. Chas is still young and should have been a top priority to get prepared for the playoffs.

On Dubon's PT, that is likely a FO call as Dusty still fights to get him in as a defensive OF sub. I'd rather have a guy that has more range as defensive sub than the guy with the better arm.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I think not at least considering re-signing Mancini is a mistake. His 2022 Astro BABIP was .191 vs. his career .311. Definitely an opportunity to sign him to a cheaper, short-term deal to see if he reverts to his career norm as he gets more comfortable in MMP. Plus, I still think his story is still to be written in this postseason.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That's crazy. I knew, by watching his ABs, that he was hitting into bad luck but had not looked at the data.

That's 14 more hits over his 51 games as an Astro. About 38% of his career hits are for extra bases which means 5 of them should have been doubles or homeruns.

How different would we view Mancini if he had done this?

And apparently his Astros data, like k rate and exit velo, was slightly down but only marginally from his career so mostly luck was the reason

It should even out - maybe even in the ALCS !!

Qan likes this.
  11. AkeemTheDreem86

This gave me goosebumps... Are you Gandalf?

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I heard a rumor that he was Basebalf.

13 in 33 and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't have been part of the babip equation if they were homers so can't really add more homers.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

I would not be surprised if he takes his end of the mutual offer. He seems happy here, and, from his perspective, he may see it as an opportunity to show his last 2 months were a fluke and rebound his value and try FA again next year. Would not be opposed to something like 3yr/$39M to be the everyday first baseman.

15. raining threes

Whoever Click chose, or Espada. Not getting to choose his manager really isn't fair to Click.

16. Qan

Qan Member

Honestly if Mancini does come back...only want a 2 year deal for him.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I know what he has done in Houston and realize that it has swirled the drain getting worse and worse.

For 2 months he has tried to adjust to a new team with new ways and philosophy new place and role.

All while in a playoff race for the first time and trying to get his first real big money FA contract.

The on field results in Baltimore along with the things I have seen and heard just give me confidence that we have not seen his best.

I am not saying he is going to suddenly lead the team in HR and RBI but I see him as a solid #6 hitter who can hit 30 HR and get 90 RBI while helping protect Kyle from getting garbage pitches.

For 3 yrs and $13-15M AAV that would be a solid move.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Agreed. But I’d rather spend 3/45 or 48 and just get Abreu.

Joe Joe likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The White Sox said they’re letting Abreu go. He seems like the perfect fit to replace Yuli on a 2-3 year deal.

Wulaw Horn and Qan like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Abreu a lot

However he lost his HR swing this year. Still hit for high average but what happened to the loft? 15 hr in 600 ABs? After 30 in 2021 and averaging 30 for his career.

He is also limited to 1B and DH while Mancini can also play LF.

Mancini is 5 years younger

I have no issue with either as long as it's less than a 5 year deal.

I expect Abreu is better 2023 and MAYBE 2024 while after that Mancini outperforms him.