1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Updated 5 year outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Diaz would likely get left. With Dusty as manager, Tucker and Alvarez can't be touching.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Needs:
    1. Ace pitcher
    2. Capable bat who can preferably play CF and lead off (does not have to be a star)
    3. Veteran late inning reliever

Wants:
    1. Upgrade at catcher or backup catcher
    2. Versatile veteran bat who can play the outfield

I’m totally cool with leaving LF open for competition between McCormick, Straw, Toro, Jones, and Diaz. Maybe add a veteran NRI as insurance. But that spot can be easily cheaply addressed at the deadline if nobody pans out.

Im even ok with not adding an ace in the offseason and addressing the rotation at the deadline. Greinke, Valdez, McCullers, Urquidy, and Javier is a fine quintet, with Pruitt, Whitley, Bielak, Garcia, and others as insurance.

With the bullpen getting Smith back along with guys who should be locked in (Pressly, Taylor, Paredes, James, Pruitt), they really only need 1 good reliever, especially considering they will be able to use starters out of the pen in the playoffs.

Projected 2021 OD roster:
    CF Springer (I think they get it done)
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    LF Diaz
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Straw, Stubbs, Toro, McCormick
    Rotation: Greinke, McCullers, Valdez, Urquidy, Boyd (trade from Detroit)
    Bullpen: Javier, Pruitt, James, Paredes, Taylor, Smith, Pressly, Yates (free agent)

3. HTown2017Champs

Want, from me: 1B (preferably lefty/switch hitter) who can spend next year in AAA and take over starting 2022. Maybe we can get Gavin Sheets from CHW, good prospect but very blocked in their system.

4. Jeremy Williams

I'd be just fine with the Astros' picking up Yuli's 2022 option.

5. HTown2017Champs

This isn't about short term. Would be nice to have someone for most of the decade. Father time is undefeated, and Gurriel showed some signs of regression down the stretch, though it could have just been a slump. I like the new deal because it gives us time to evaluate next year and see how things really stand. But nobody can play forever.

6. Jeremy Williams

two extra years is a lot of time. First base isn’t a priority for us. We should be targeting pitching.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The young pitching is looking like it will keep the window open. If you can project 8 cumulative WAR per season from Valdez, Urquidy, and Javier, you’re 40% of the way to a World Series caliber pitching staff.

Regarding 1B, I am not ready to write off Toro or Jones yet. I’d like to see them leave LF open for competition between young guys (Toro, Jones, McCormick, Straw, etc.) to see if they can unearth an everyday player. Will also be keeping an eye on Matijevic next season; his timeline would seem to coincide with Gurriel’s new contract.

8. phasors28

phasors28 Member

9. HTown2017Champs

I wouldn't. Not only is there a big financial risk, he isn't exactly a fan favorite. I'll leave it at that.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LF should be a position where it’s possible to find a guy on the scrap heap and get some production. This is where you trust Click to come up with an economical answer, and spend your budget elsewhere. Maybe it’s one of the guys you mentioned, maybe it’s another AAAA player blocked in another system that comes cheap (e.g., Domingo Santana, Teoscar Hernandez, Ramon Laureano, etc.)