1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(UPDATE: Rockets change stance) Rockets block ClutchFans from training camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2005.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You were amazing. I've got your back in D&D, Drox, anytime. Way to represent the BBS. Just a super job! :cool:

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Droxford - call em back man!!! I would love to hear you lay the smack down AGAIN!!! Call em back during the night shift. And be sure to record it again!!!

4. corby

corby Contributing Member

Here's my letter. Trying to talk busines...

Tad,

Clutchfans.net represents the type of viral marketing outlet that most businesses would kill for. Every day, even during the offseason, thousands of fans from all over the world congregate and whip themselves into a frenzy discussing all things Rockets. Fans anxiously anticipate and discuss Rockets games, Rockets promotional events, and charity events like T-Mac's softball game, and the Katrina relief game.

I know you are very busy, but please take two minutes to review this thread to understand how Clutchfans.net promotes a positive image of the Rockets to a worldwide audience, enhancing the ability of the Rockets organization to seek global endorsement arrangements:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=101275

And I am sure you remember how George Postolos has credited SaveOurRockets.com, a ClutchFans initiative, with helping to secure public funding for the Toyota Center.

Fans like myself spend freely and spend often because of our goodwill toward the Rockets organization, which is actively and freely nurtured on the ClutchFans forum. Please do not jeopardize this relationship by adopting a hostile position toward ClutchFans. This is not a zero-sum game. Impeding ClutchFans.net does not help Rockets.com. Barring ClutchFans from Rockets media events is a lose-lose proposition.

Thanks for your time,
    Corby

5. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Good job Droxford....

So what exactly differentiates someone writing an article on Clucthfans and someone writing an article in the Chronicle? In most cases the content of the articles on CF is better then the others......lol

OH and this is an amazing outcry. I left for a meeting around lunch time and it was a two page thread (or whatever page my post is on 2 or 3) and now it is like 14 pages....lol As I was reading the pages and kept going down the line each refresh would add an additional page or two.....I couldn't keep up. :eek:

6. tim562

7. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I also think boycotting wouldnt work, but not because there are so few hits. they are (since last yr) the NBA's #1 most visited team website. Most people that visit that place can't be clutchfans. So, I belive that would only hurt us and prove the point that rockets.com will suffer a bit because of clutchfans, but wont suffer enough to hurt them and change their mind. Get waht im sayin?

8. tim562

406 replies in 7 hours and 30 min. WOW!!

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow..nicely done Doc

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This decision by the Rockets is on par with some of their worst decisions of all time -- and yes that includes acquiring Scottie Pippen as well as the decision to wear pinstriped pajamas. Clutchfans.net serves a vital role in the Houston Rockets organization by harnessing the power of literally thousands of fans. Thousands of fans have tremendous power to aggregate news and post stories from around the world in a timely fashion (past examples include China, Slovenia, Greece and Germany among others), provide real time news coverage, provide candid, unfiltered insights on the team, provide rumors and leads from primary sources, and generate revenue-producing support for the team. All of this is done real-time and broadcast around the globe for free. What better way for a fan to stay informed? The Houston Chronicle has what, 3-4 people that cover the Rockets. Rockets.com has maybe 1-2? There simply is no way for these two media outlets to compete with the thousands of posters who 'cover' the Rockets on Clutchfans.net. It's a total blowout. If Rockets.com could compete with Clutchfans.net, there would be no Clutchfans.net. The fact of the matter is that they can not compete. Structurally, they are at a supreme disadvantage by not providing a sounding board for thousands of fans, suppressing rumors, and maintaining a positive slant on every news development (lack of journalistic integrity).

I don't know what has gone on behind the scenes, but I know that Clutch is a very reasonable person with good intentions. In the case of the Texans, it appears as though HoustonTexans.com poached many of the big posters from HoustonProFootball.com to become moderators. In so doing, they created a Clutchfans-esque discussion forum on their main site. Has Rockets.com tried this? I don't know. Has Rockets.com attempted to acquire CF.net? I don't know. Is there an agreement whereby Rockets.com will not create a bulletin board? I don't know. Are the Rockets acting in frustration because they can not or will not create a community of their own? Who knows. What I do know is that the way things currently exist, CF.net is a vital cog in the Houston Rockets information distribution business. Suppressing information to that channel is simply bad business.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, I'm not buying tickets and merchandise. That's the kind of boycott that'll get their attention.

12. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

um. come on now.

now i know everyone's upset. i'm upset.

but come on. so we don't get some pictures we're all thirsting for. and it's not like we've been deprived of that stuff completely, it just has to wait a while. and be from a differenct source. let's not get carried away now....,

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Its the principle behind it that has everyone so upset. Its a small thing, but it just shows the level of diesrespect they have towards us

14. tim562

Exactly....its the principle of the matter. If you steal a lightbulb or a sofa, its still stealing!!

15. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I understand your point, and I would get my info from a different source, but it won't have the feel and appeal that it would coming from here. It's also about principles here too.

16. Toast

Toast Member

I highly doubt it. MAYBE burried underneath a feel good article about Gipson and how he feels about being in the playoffs you MIGHT find a training camp summary about the Rockets. That's if there's no "Questionable" injury reports to write about for the Texans.

In about six months, something might pop up on rockets.com. When they do their bi-annual upgrade.

I imagine we might get a generic story about how player X has high expectations for Team 1. Throw in a couple of cliches and there's your training camp report.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Awesome job, droxford. Really, really good.

And thanks for providing the mp3 of it, too.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Good post T_J.

Anybody knows other "official" NBA team websites have started their own BBS? If so, I believe sooner or later Rockets.com will be attempting that as well. That can be a real challenge to CF.net.

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Hotballa and Tim562...How do yall keep beeting me to post. It just sounds like I'm repeating yall. GRRRR....HAHAHAHAH

20. tim562

Its all good Bro!!!