1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(UPDATE: Rockets change stance) Rockets block ClutchFans from training camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2005.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Well, if this is a money decision, then the only way to counter it is to make the Rockets lose out financially.

How about all of us Clutch City (the name it should be) fans boycott Rockets merchandise until the situation is remedied? Vote with your dollars if you think this is wrong.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Honestly, this really pisses me off. Clutch has given a huge chunk of his life to the Rockets and asked, literally, for NOTHING in return. The only thing he has wanted is the ability to cover the team for things like Media Day and Training Camp, which, to be honest, is hard work and not something that he even has a lot of time to do.

What is so frustrating is that an organization that has received the benefit of 10 years of free publicity and fan interaction can't allow the site a few days of access for fear of competition. You have got to be kidding me.

Nevermind the fact that Clutch and I gave almost a year of our lives away convincing people to build the Toyota Center, something that the Rockets themselves admitted wasn't even close to happening until SaveOurRockets.com came along.

After all that, did Clutch ask for money or tickets or ANYTHING other than the right to cover the team like any normal media outlet? Hell no.

What is frustrating is that ClutchFans has been a HUGE benefit for them. They've promoted their events here, sold tickets here. We've had people pimp merchandise and put together groups to go to games with fans from thousands of miles away and even across the globe.

All ClutchFans has done is served as the portal for fans of the Houston Rockets for the past 10 years free of charge. All it has done is given the Rockets a direct line to its paying customers with NO work on their part, something the average corporation, let alone professional sports franchise, would KILL to access. In fact, major corporations spend billions every year trying to gain direct access to their customers. The Rockets get that for FREE.

I still have friends who work for the Rockets and I like a lot of the people who work there. I certainly don't blame the team - the players and coaches don't have any input on this after all. But, the rigid stance of this organization on something as simple as media day and training camp access is utterly ridiculous.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Good idea.

I'll send an email after Clutch gives the ok.

4. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Wow, this sucks, but atleast you know how powerful Clutchfans can be now-a-days... or was? :(

Well, since this is a powerful site... and if we step up to do something, then we can surely get back into this. no doubt.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Very disappointed to hear this.

Unbelievable, really.

I would like to know the exact person who is responsible for that decision. Is it Tim McDougal's successor?

If yes, what is this person's name.

Are you friendly with Feigen?

Maybe he could run a story on this.

Then again, he would probably be scared to be shut out as well.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, I live and breath on this site. And to hear those higher up a-holes taking **** about Clutch BBS....makes my Rocket blood boil! :mad:

7. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

"Where have you gone, Tim Mc--Doooo--uuuuu--gall.

Our website needs you more than you could know. Whoa, whoa, whoa."

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If Clutch doesn't nix it soon, I'm firing off some email- to the Rockets, to the Chronicle and to Feigen.

Anyone who will listen.

I just can't believe Clutch will be barred.

Clutch there needs to be a change of heart tonight and you should be allowed at camp with the rest of the media.

9. bulk

bulk Member

I didn't come and then love Cluthcity.net (Cluthfans.com) because it has 'exclusive' stories, at least not a big part of the reason. I love this site because it's fun, reasonable, having rich and attactive content and very updated news, etc. I believe it's the same for most.

So the attempt of competing against this site by blocking access to the team is ridiculous and pathetic. Come on, how can you make ppl like you by attacking what they like? It's just ... ridiculous.

If we can help, Cluth, please let us know. I'm in China but at least I can send an email or make a phone call to complain.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

So much for the give-and-take and pulling sensitive leaks in the future, eh Clutch? ;)

I wonder how many teams that don't have a popular Board like this one would bend over backwards to get one going, including camp access? Some folks just don't appreciate what they have till it's gone and they can never get it back.

They should have AT LEAST shown respect to all of Clutch's and his Admin's work and this community and barred all websites.

(I have never understood managers who make penny-wise pound-foolish decisions)

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Am I the only one who can hear the evil laughter of the Rockets.com ****heads who run that pathetic excuse of a website?

12. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

good post, or i mean great article.. send this to the chronicle! :D

13. Cohen

There are no other Rockets websites. ;)

Clutch, STICKY please. People here deserve to read this.

14. Cohen

...heh..didn't see that you had posted Jeff...I wouldn't have needed to have bothered. :) Good post.

15. cson

cson Contributing Member

This is truly sad and dissappointing. As a native Houstonian, living elsewhere this site keeps me interested and tied into the team, as well as my money flowing to the Rockets via merch, products, and tickets (when I'm in town to visit fam, 8 or 9 times a season) , something the Organization clearly overlooks. I don't have the local news talking about the Rocks...EVER and rely on this site. Hell without this site fostering my hardcore fanhood, I'd most likely stopped giving a damn 7 years ago, would've been easy to do, and if you look at the history of Houston sports franchises, not unheard of.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Consider this is a battle of FEMA vs the Red Cross.

17. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

could we send people there all "undercover" like somehow? Sounds like time for some paparrazzi or guerilla warfare. :mad:

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

This is really surprising. When I met the Rockets web-master about a month ago he acted like the Rockets had squashed their beef with Clutchfans. I guess not. Oh well, f*ck rockets.com. Keep up the great job Clutch, I'll be sending an email to whoever I can today.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

OK- I fired off my first email to the Rockets- here is a copy-

Houston Rockets-
    I have been a Rocket fan (my company has also owned season tickets) for over 25 yrs. I cannot believe that the fan-site Clutchfans.net is being banned from media day and training camp coverage. And especially since other fan-sites have been included. And the reason given is competition with the Rockets.com site. This is infuriating as a fan.

I would please ask that you do the right thing for your fans and invite Clutchfans.net to have media access of training camp. Please consider the voice of your fans. We visit Rockets.com also. This is a slap in the face to loyal Rocket fans everywhere.

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I think that the three coaches and two players that have accounts (if you are reading this) should wear black bands with "CF" on them for the whole training camp...or boycott it all together :D...what would the rockets organization think about that...MUAHAHAHAHA.

evil corporations are a b****.