1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uof h in the dance

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pbnfamilia, Mar 13, 2010.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

121 - 76 in six years with Penders.
    83 - 148 in the eight years before Penders got to UH.

I'm thinking your standards are too high if you think he sucks. He's turned a terrible program into a pretty good one. Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler aren't walking through that door...

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

lol @ Jeff Van Gundy saying U of H is in the Final Four. :cool:

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A 61% winning percentage for a coach that plays its home games in one of the richest talent pools in the nation is not exactly something to write home about.

Penders is 64. It is not likely that the program will get appreciably better under him from here. Were they terrible before? Yep. This is about continuing to better the program. Everywhere Penders has been, he has proven to be a coach that can only get you so far.

Time to pony up some money and go get Gillispie.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

But UH can do so much better. Aside from its history and pedigree, its in the middle of one of the best pools of potential talent in the country. Even 2nd and 3rd tier guys can easily surpass some of the transfers that Penders pulls in.

Not to mention recruiting locally is how you energize the community. You pull in local high school talent and you'll also attract a larger fanbase and energize the existing one. They may never be phi slamma jamma again but they shouldnt be doormats in CUSA either. If Calipari could turn freaking Memphis into a juggernaut, there's no reason why a larger school with a deeper history with all sorts of high school talent sitting in your backyard cant do the same.

Hiring Penders was a good move, I mean the program was in the dumps before him but he's taken houston as far as they'll go. I think its time to find a replacement.

5. Poloshirtbandit

Pretty good? I don't think so. Terrible team to an above average team? Yeah.

6. Poloshirtbandit

Word.

If he could so much as recruit the water boy from Yates it would do wonders for local interest in the program.

7. DreamRoxCoogFan

its somewhat analagous to the football situation (even though no one is poaching Penders), but its similar to Briles situation. He brought the football team from the dumps, but had plateaued somewhat. Sumlin was the next step (even though we were forced to take that step). Likewise, Penders has reached his limit. He improved the program, but he can't take us too much farther.

8. Refman

I am not sure Briles had plateaued. He wasn't at UH long enough to really say that.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

U of H is in the toughest Region so we're pretty much srcewed.

We play #4 Maryland on Friday.

Go Coogs!

10. Refman

I will be rooting for the Coogs like crazy, but I would be completely shocked if they beat Maryland.

11. SeeingRocketRed

Don't be shocked if UH pulls a big upset of Maryland. The Terps have been vulnerable to fast, athletic teams all year, and UH certainly meets that. Both sides in this matchup probably breathed a sigh of relief that their opponent doesn't have dominant interior play.

Also, does anyone have photoshopping skills, where they can make a kick-butt "Dead Men Walking" sign, logo, shirt, or something? That's been UH's theme that got them through the Conference Tourney - that the most dangerous man is the one with nothing to lose.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

UNT
    A&M
    UT
    SHSU
    UTEP
    UH
    Baylor

We have a lot to root for as a state!

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Baylor and Sam play each other, so that eliminates a team.

14. PointForward

PointForward Member

all of this is true, but the downfall of UH is it being a commute school in a poor neighborhood of the 4th largest city in America. Even with the recent success of the football program for example, people still hop right off the band wagon once the team hits a rough patch. The support is limited to luring in fair weather fans. And unfortunately this forms a glass ceiling for UH that will be very tough to break through.

15. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I really wonder if its all Penders fault that he can't recruit Houston area kids and has to take jucos. I've read that the facilities at UH are beyond terrible. If I were a HS basketball prospect coming for a visit, and realized I couldn't even shower in the locker rooms, I'd rather take my chances at another school.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It's partly that and partly that Tom is an East Coast guy.

His connections are up north, so he goes where his biggest honey hole is.

If Tom tried to recruit around here, he'd be swimming upstream.

17. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

so true so true

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

how many people have that secret bracket where U of H goes all the way? ;)

19. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

lol i do. i just clicked UH UH UH UH UH UH champion UH lol

UH plays Maryland on friday at 8:40 CENTRAL on CBS!

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has been here 20 years I am sure he has to have some contacts. Maybe he is doing the best he can. If houston got BCG what will stop him from leaving 2 years later.