1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Untuckit?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by biff17, Aug 26, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

2. Buck Turgidson

It's comfortable and I can afford to do it.

Flip flops are great for the feet. Suck on that.

eta: unless it's cold weather, then I'll go with the jeans and boots.

3. likestohypeguy

I guess it'd vary per individual (eg longer legged or torsoed ppl), but I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't based on the golden ratio.

[​IMG]

But as with everything fashion, ultimately what looks good or bad is too personal. Just do what is comfortable and looks good to you, and don't worry about the rules.

Looking good boys!

4. biff17

biff17 Member

Ok, I can see it being a culture fashion thing and could maybe rock it with a certain look but that could become dated very quickly.

These people are basing a whole company on it lasting, don't see that.

I am all on board with the fitted look very immaculate.

I definitely don't see it being an easier access to pocket thing, if anything who likes a phone bulge?

Maybe it's a androgynous thing since it would show off your yeeks.

I could actually see that along with the skinny cut, but it's still not my thing.

You are right to each there own, I usually can understand the premise but this I don't understand.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

I was talking about the fact that the hem of the shirt is shorter, not actual shorts.

Not judging.

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Going by that picture these shirts are to short.

where did you get that pic, I am honestly curious now.

7. conquistador#11

8. likestohypeguy

^Probably should edit to quote post no. 13 with this. Even though I've since remembered the untuckit was a gaffigan, not seinfeld bit. OP just wrote in seinfeldien, that was the next line.

Biff if it makes you feel any better, the golden ratio... is an irrational number

edit: nm a horrible idea, I just thought, until I tried it.

#28 likestohypeguy, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

Seems I am not alone in thinking this is ****ery.

Don't Waste Money on An 'Untucked' Shirt. Just Un-Tuck Your Damn Shirt.
    It's not as complicated as some brands would have you believe.

[​IMG]
    BY CHRISTINE FLAMMIA
    APR 2, 2018

[​IMG]
    KEPT2GETTY IMAGES
    Alot of fashion is superfluous. That's the nature of the beast: The fashion industry takes something essential—clothing, your naked body’s armor—and turns it into something you want, but don't need. Are silk pajamas or sneakers covered in gold or $200 workout shirts essential for your survival? No, no, and sometimes, but only because they’re really quite comfortable and you need motivation to work out.

But casual collared shirts have never really been one of those things. For the most part, dudes need them—if not to keep breathing, then at least to keep working and living like a normal human. It’s the shirt you wear somewhere in between a fancy job interview and eating nachos off the floor—on a date, to a bar, at brunch with your parents, and, yes, at the office. It’s done a pretty good job just being a shirt.

[​IMG]
    Untuckit co-founder Chris Riccobono.
    Getty Images
    But what if—and stick with me here—it hasn't? What if you want to wear a collared shirt... but untucked?! Surely you can't just do that, right? This is the "disruptive" fashion startup's naughty daydream: a whole new market segment, ripe for the selling, based off a perceived problem that, let's be clear from the start, doesn't actually exist. Enter Untuckit.

Untuckit is brand that makes button-front shirts with shorter hemlines than standard shirts. Mathematically, it's a small thing, the matter of an inch or two. “I found myself always wearing the same shirt because it wasn’t really long,” says Untuckit co-founder Chris Riccobono, seen here wearing an untucked shirt with a sport coat and making part of my brain explode. “I started asking friends about it; we all had this same issue of finding the perfect length shirt.”

What the people—and Riccobono—wanted was a shirt that buttoned but didn’t have to be tucked in. It could be left untucked and not look sloppy. "It took a year to get the fit right," Riccobono says. (This, despite the fact that one such shirt already existed in the co-founder's closet. Market testing is a real bear, I guess.)

So he started a company with a shorter shirt as the signature item. "It sounds very simple, but a lot of companies aren’t nimble enough to check the length of every single shirt," he claims based on... I'm not sure what. Still, the concept is taking off. Reuters reported Untuckit had a $200 million valuation at the beginning of 2017. The brand had opened 25 brick-and-mortar stores by the end of that same year, with plans for 25 more in 2018. Guys are buying these shirts, which are generally priced around $90-$100—"an easy price point for everyday kinda guys," says Riccobono—in a big way.

Listen, if you want to buy a shirt because you know that it can be worn untucked—and the reason you know that is because the company has very specifically marketed it to you that way—you can do that. But, you should know a couple things. First, in a world where the options for untuck-friendly tops abound, one that’s sole raison d’etre is “You can untuck it!” is far from vital. And second, you're paying more money for something you don't need.

The customer base for an Untuckit shirt is wide—men 25-70 years old, with a booming women’s business—and, apparently, likes having fashion explained to it by a brand's mission statement. But even among retailers that cater to a relatively large swath of the population—from stalwarts like J.Crew to online-savvy brands like Everlane—the untucked shirt is standard at this point. Just check out those venues and count the number of tucked-in casual shirts. You'll have more fingers than examples.

Because—and this is crucial—Untuckit didn't reinvent the shirt here. Far from it. Not even freaking close. Instead, the brand created a shift in the way men's clothing is being marketed: "Hey, you. The guy who has no freaking clue. Here's your shirt." It's kind of insulting.

And it's spreading.

[​IMG]
    An (untucked) shirt from Everlane.
    Everlane
    In January, J.Crew released a line of casual shirts meant to be worn untucked. But here's the thing: J.Crew has offered this sort of shirt for ages in its standard, shorter-than-the-average-dress-shirt shirts. The length on this new one is slightly abbreviated, but the bigger change was the way it was marketed. It used to be a "shirt." Now it's an "untucked shirt."

At least J.Crew isn't upping the price. The shirts, in line with the rest of the brand's offerings, cost about $60. That's, conservatively, about two-thirds the price of an Untuckit shirt. At Everlane, an untuck-worthy oxford cloth shirt will run you just $50. All three brands offer mass-produced, imported goods. So why are you paying a premium for Untuckit? Because the guys who run the brand think you're willing to shell out extra cash to know you can untuck your shirt.

Or, put another way: They think you're a rube.

Because tucking your shirt in—or not—is not difficult. In fact, it’s pretty easy. If you need to look polished and pulled-together—like at a dressier office, to a job interview, or a fancy date—you should tuck. If you're wearing a tie, you should definitely tuck, because nothing looks quite as silly as a tie worn with an untucked shirt.

If you're in pretty much any other situation, leave it untucked. If an untucked shirt looks sloppy, it probably wasn't meant to be untucked in the first place—because it's a dress shirt. But if it's a casual shirt from pretty much anywhere that sells casual shirts in 2018, it'll probably look just fine.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bring back the 80's when everybody wore long-sleeved untucked dress shirts with jeans. Of course, we may have looked like dorks, but we were fine with it back then!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you are
    • single
    • in an area that's highly fashion conscious (downtown LA/NY/Chicago)
    • is a man who either isn't fashionably conscious or cringes at the word 'metrosexual'
    Go to a tailor, get measured and start adjusting your clothes with their feedback.

Sometimes the old ways are the best ways (step 2...shoemaker).

A style guide wouldn't hurt either. Probably get more hits than misses...

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Asian Sensation

Jeans is too tight

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

I will add my 2 cents.

Dress shirts are not meant to be worn untucked (length is too long and is meant to stay tucked in / should cover your butt when untucked). It looks tacky. if u go untucked with a regular dress shirt.
    If you want to dress it down with jeans, then tuck it in and throw a blazer on.

If you to wear shirts untucked, then look for casual shirts. They are usually shorter.
    This brand is just capitalizing on that idea. I personally think their shirts are just a little too short.

Sometimes I wish I lived in Europe or somewhere more fashionable. There's no incentive to dress nice in Houston. It's even hard to shop if you are relatively fit. Can't even find sizes in stores. Everything is XXXXXXL.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think this is a slippery slope and one day soon men could be wearing halter tops. Not good!

Sajan, Exiled, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Why do I care where the hims are?

biff17 likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

18. biff17

biff17 Member

I can't believe they are selling these shirts for 100$.

I rarely spend over 25$ for a shirt, I always buy offseason.

And that includes designer.

19. likestohypeguy

20. biff17

biff17 Member

I remember those days the baggier the better.