1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unstoppable Backcourt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mugrakers, Jul 20, 2015.

1. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

How do you even match up against our backcourt now? That corner three will be wide open all day. So many match up issues. They both pass extremely well for their positions. Both blow by the initial defender. Morey just bought a corner three acre!

2. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Depends who is shooting them, there is also the defensive aspect which is imo a concern. thrilled with the trade, but coach has some work to do now

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Don't get too excited bbholic says the trade isn't over

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Now one to complement hardens inside and outside game with a mid range probe game

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'll be interested to see how much Ty and James actually share the floor. McHale should probably stagger their minutes so one is on the court at all times.

I'm beyond excited to see Lawson, Thornton, Brew, TJ and Capela just wrecking other teams' bench units in the open court. There will be defensive issues with that lineup, but they should be mitigated by primarily playing them against 2nd stringers.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The nice thing about Lawson is he can play with both Harden as well as Beverley. Our roster is stacked. So much versatility with the lineups and two deep at least at every position.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I think they will be the best backcourt in the league by midseason or before with good health.

I'm not worried about the defense with Ariza, TJones/Dmo, and Howard on the inside. Lawson will be much better defensively than Terry or Prigs were, and we always have Bev to bring in as a stopper when healthy.

Also, Harden showed some amazing defensive ability most of the year last year, but I think fell off towards the end after being worn down all season from handling too much of the offensive load. With Lawson, I expect Harden to be able to give a great defensive effort for the full year.

8. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Imagine if we retained Josh Smith.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lawson, like Harden is very very tough to defend.

He's super quick, yet very strong with a fantastic finishing ability around the hoop, all while having a good jumper, great passing ability and handles.

Harden and Lawson will be a force. And don't think their defense is as bad as people make it out to be, Harden is a capable defender who I believe will be even better next year since he can conserve more energy on offense with Lawson's help. Lawson, while short, is again incredibly quick and strong, with hops too. Hopefully on a contender, and with superstars around him, he can focus more on his defense.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know what can stop this backcourt?

[​IMG]

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

We'll see what happens in crunch time against the teams that matter.

One of the criticisms about Lawson's game from Nuggets fans is in these moments in the last several years he's stop driving to the hoop and launches jumpers instead.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Luckily we have James Harden.

13. SRR21

SRR21 Member

What do you mean?

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He was implying Lawson would be traded but he is never right

15. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I think you meant, "wouldn't" be traded?

BBholic was emphatic that the Rox would NEVER trade for Ty and his contract.

:grin:

16. dharocks

He's referring to this nonsense:

I don't know why he still does this. I guess his delusions now have him believing that there are posters here who hang on his every word and don't think he's a joke.

1 person likes this.
  17. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^
    Thanks for the clarification...how I feel about bbholic:

[​IMG]

18. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I am still a little bit concerned about Beverley's health but Lawson/Beverley would match up well against most elite PGs in the league.

19. Nivos

Nivos Member

I actually think that if Mchale mannage to convince him to start of the bench it would be so much better.

Harden and Beverly are like

http://youtu.be/Miwg0VP_OF4

Lowson would be the fire power from the bench that we needed and even if Beverly get injured we can relax, and get harden time to rest.

Most coaches understand thats with the current flow and rythem of the game, players should not play more than 35-36 minutes to be fresh when playoffs comes.

A great second unit is what makes the difference these days

20. dharocks

Either way, I imagine one of the two is going to be on the court 95% of the time.

It shouldn't be a tough adjustment for either guy, especially since they apparently have a good relationship off the court. Harden played with Durant and Westbrook (very effectively), Lawson played with Melo (very effectively). There will of course be an adjustment period, but most of that should be worked out in training camp and preseason.