1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unpopular Opinion: We NEEDED to Play Another Game Before Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Sep 1, 2020.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

This is not me trying to be overly optimistic. I have no idea what will happen next game, but if you're thinking big picture, this team needs more on-court time together. That was clear as early as the first quarter.

Hear me out. I bleed Rockets red. I took no joy in watching them lose last night, but had we ended up squeaking out game 6 against the Thunder, they would have had absolutely no chance of competing with the Lakers in game 1 with the way they are playing basketball. It would have been an automatic loss. Everything is out of sync and the only cure for that is more time on the court to gel. You're trying to integrate Westbrook back in the rotation and get him back up to speed on the fly and it has only been 2 games. He has clearly not been the same and this whole small ball experiment was done with the expectation of Russ being the super dynamic force he was before. Without Russ being Russ, we don't have a chance regardless and he desperately needs more time on the court to knock the rust off, get his timing back, and gain more confidence in that quad. He needs another game. This team needs another game.

Now on the flip side, they could certainly lose. That is a real possibility and I'll be as pissed off about a first-round exit as any of you, but I look forward to Wednesday and seeing if they can start to somewhat look like that darkhorse team in the West that so many people were predicting them to be. We need the real Westbrook back in order to be that.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Man OP I believe you, but if you didnt no better there sure are a lot of dudes in here that really like it when we lose and their posting activity goes way up.

Os Trigonum, D-rock, Rudyc281 and 8 others like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It’s possible you’re right and this could be a good thing .

better to lose to OKC in game 6 and get your team playing great than fall behind 0-1 to LAL. However, like you said , we could lose . Players could get more banged up .

lakers might be a little rusty , if well rested .

vator and D-rock like this.
  4. heads.up

heads.up Member

Westbrook definitely doesn't look like himself quite yet. His timing is all off as evident from his erratic passing and not to mention he didn't look as explosive, he had trouble getting by his man. Although another game would be good to get him comfortable again, I am not sure that his quad has healed enough for him to be his usual self, which is the most unfortunate thing about this playoff series.

vator, D-rock, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh its incredibly hard to believe the rockets needed to play another game with a not 100% wb. Rather than have some time to rest him. Now the lakers can kick back and watch a do or die game 7

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rondo gets more rest.

Hey, whatever makes your day though.

I already said the Lakers have 3 to 5 more players at disposal in the extended rotation, could wear the Rockets out.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

you don’t need an expanded rotation to wear the rockets out . You just need the game / series to be close and MDA will do that for you

Jontro likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Going from Cp3 to Rondo would be amazing.

9. vator

You make very valid points. I won't say this is a PERFECT scenario. Anything can happen in a game 7 and winner take all scenario. I am of the belief that Russ is about as healthy as he is going to be...unfortunately. It is hard to tell at times if he is struggling because he is limited physically if he is simply lacking confidence in the quad and gradually trying to ramp up what he is trying to do on the court if he is just rusty and out of sync or some combination of these things. I just happen to think it is what it is at this point and he needs more time on the court to try to get it together and it is better to do that against an inferior opponent. Had they won, it isn't like he would've had a significant amount of time off between last night and game 1 to rest and for him to get more healthy. These playoffs are moving at a breakneck pace between series and 1 day off in between games. The Bucks ended their series against the Magic Saturday and played the Heat on Monday.

#9 vator, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's the same pace it would be without the bubble. games are every other day during home stands. Only now there's 0 travel. That puts an extremely less amount of recovery out the window. Sure he could use games to play but when the problem is moreso on the side of a risky quad injury, I'm not sure the best idea is more games to me

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

It’s a valid opinion if and only if Rockets win game 7.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rondo goes straight for the face.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I see we’re in the “bargaining” stage

ksny15, Rudyc281, yixiixiy and 4 others like this.
  14. vator

Yeah, Russ playing more games is bad overall, but he is so freaking rusty and out of sorts right now. He literally threw the ball out of bounds for no reason multiple times last night and I can't fully blame that on the quad. Honestly, we have no chance against the Lakers without him playing better and he needs more time on the court to get his act together. Maybe he is too hurt to play better and this is all moot.

I'm just saying they clearly have some issues to iron out and playing the Thunder another game to try to figure some things out on Wednesday may be better than potentially playing the Lakers on Wednesday and getting completely annihilated. IF THEY WIN.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

i get a lot of what you're try to say i do. And now with the potential of our friend Scott Foster doing another Game 7 for the rockets in the playoffs has me even more worried

vator likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

if we're getting dragged to a game 7 by the thunder and are worried... the imagine what the lerbons would do to this team. let's be realistic and lower our expectations

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

EDIT: nvm I can't read

18. pass_to_Hakeem

Big Picture :

HOU will be lucky to get 1 win against the LAK!! (Assuming they even get past OKC lol)

*it took them 7 games vs OKC. How embarrassing!!

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

remember when dalas dragged spurs to game 7 in 2014 and would win had not dejuan blair been suspended...
    spurs went on to reach the finals and almost win vs lebron and big 3

D-rock and Jontro like this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rather have won in 6. There is no guarantee they win game 7.

D-rock, daywalker02 and YallMean like this.