1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hmmm

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ain’t coming here

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Fantasma Negro

#104 Fantasma Negro, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Kevin Johnson is responsible for Butler losing his job. I hope he looks in the mirror and realizes his play cost a man and his family their livelihoods. This kid better grow up fast or he'll be next.

raining threes and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. a time to chill

My prediction is that the Texan’s next GM will one day fire Bill O’Brien

7. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I hope the new gm can bring in an earl Thomas or Michael Bennett

8. conquistador#11

now that would be nice. Earl thomas!

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's me saying that I hope I'm wrong about BOB because I'm outright saying that he's terrible as a coach, not saying that he needs to correct a few mechanical issues which is what I said about Watson. I don't think BOB's problems can be fixed, but as a Texans fan, I'll be happy to be wrong about that and that's what I said.

They weren't overstated, he just overcame them and he did so much more quickly than is almost ever the case.

When it comes to BOB, I'm not saying that what is wrong with him is correctable which is what I said about Watson, so the situations don't mirror each other. I say "I hope he magically learns how to be a coach" with BOB which is different than talking about hoping a QB fixes his footwork.

I'll fully admit that I didn't think there was any way Watson could fix his footwork and his bad habit of staring down routes as quickly as he did to where the bad decisions and bad throws would become the extreme minority when they were nearly every throw as recently as the preseason and I've said that many many times. Drilling the proper way to do things enough to where the proper way becomes second nature usually takes a LONG time and the fact that he did it so quickly just shows that he has a tremendous work ethic, which is something people touted about him before the draft that I kind of shrugged off (because it gets said about so many players). What happens with most players is that when things are going well, they'll do the right thing and then when they are put under pressure they'll resort back to their bad habits. Remarkably Watson was only having that happen a few times per game despite being under almost constant pressure. I just can't say enough about how rare that really is.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This makes me laugh for some reason.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I know I say this a lot but I think it's worth explaining again.

It really doesn't matter to me how small the news is, please don't bury news here. Offseason threads are great for discussing thoughts on what you think should happen, etc. but way too often news gets buried here. Having a new thread for news serves multiple purposes ... people can scan the front page or the Texans forum thread listings to see the latest news and what you, the fans, are saying about that news. People can search for that dedicated discussion later on rather than trying to go through numerous pages of one thread to find some thoughts on that news. People can find that discussion on Google.

Think of the Rockets and Astros forums as you do the Rockets forum. If the Rockets let an assistant coach go, planned an extension for D'Antoni or brought in someone to the front office, it would never be buried in an offseason thread. I'd much rather merge a thread than have to go through pages and split off replies to a new thread.

Thank you.

12. Since75

Since75 Member

Here are 4 OLineman
    Andrew Norwell LG
    DJ Fluker RG
    Seantrell Henderson RT
    Cameron Fleming (Swing Tackle)
    Davenport should continue to start at LT

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah, he was. I know Larry from high school. He was a year older than me at McCullough. Have many mutual friends. They'll act like they're disappointed but if they've been watching, they'll realize he was terrible.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

This whole thing reminds me of the Soviet propaganda.

O'Brien for years leaks to the media that nothing is his fault and blames O'Brien.

No one knows who does what exactly in the organization.

Smith is going on an extended leave for family reasons.

Bernhardt has left the team for family reasons.

Coach O'Brien thanks Smith for his work on the way out the door.

Texans are interviewing GM's with ties to O'Brien.

Now we have a lackey reporter claiming that all the dysfunction that O'Brien leaked about is magically gone now that we have the strong leadership of O'Brien in the house.

Everyone rejoice!

................ They really do think we are stupid.

J.R. and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Don't forget, they are possibly rehiring Gaine (who it is now reported was fired by Rick)

But the best part is Rick saying he WILL be back next year as at least an executive VP. And that his leave has nothing to do with his performance

Nook likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

I like Norwell. A lot. Would love to see him be priority #1 on our list. All indications are he is a top 10 G, maybe top 5.

None of the others excite me including Solder. Someone is going to overpay for him and we know that won't be NE.

I don't think Davenport deserves the starting LT job yet. He has proven nothing. Maybe RT? I would hope FA dollars or a theoretical 2nd round pick would provide a better option to protect Watson's blindside.

Pugh from NYG may be an option at the other G spot. Norwell/healthy Martin/Pugh on the interior line would be dreamy.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Earl Thomas - YES
    Michael Bennett - I am really not a fan, don't care for players that dive at other's ankles in victory formation. Overall just a loud mouth a$$ of a human being.

raining threes and mario_v like this.
  19. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Yeah and kam chancellor one of my favorite players. To bad looks like he won't play again

raining threes likes this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Johnson was awful but this is a silly statement. Despite remaining relatively healthy this season, the secondary was one of the weakest units this season. Yes Kevin Johnson was a big part of that but JJo, Kareem, and Hal were really really bad as well. Not to mention whatever street FA we had revolving at SS.

BoB didn't fire his Penn St. buddy because of one player. The secondary was a complete mess this year. Didn't help thay the GM let his best player walk last summer either.