1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. raining threes

I want a GM that can work with his HC. O'Brien is going to get an extension and I want somebody he can work with rather than the crap O'brien and Smith have been doing behind the sceenes for the last four years.

You could do worse than Smith but if your goal is more than mediocrity you should take the chance in believing you can do much better.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Somehow, some way, we should get Tyrod Taylor to back up Watson. It'll never happen, though.

Besides, we need O line and secondary help.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well he's a starter with a 90 career QB rating.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I want a GM that will do the right thing no matter what the HC says. It's that mentality that got the team Watson instead of working with a guy with a track record of being atrocious when it comes to player evaluation. Working with O'Brien is how we had years of Fitz, Hoyer, and Mallett. Thankfully we had a GM that eventually was unwilling to work with BOB anymore so he went out and got a potentially elite franchise QB even though BOB wanted to start Savage.

I think giving a coach as terrible as BOB an extension after nothing but failure from him is the most ridiculous thing the Texans could do. While you can do worse than Smith, I'm not sure you can do much worse than O'Brien. That said, if we want to give him another season to make sure he's not so terrible that Watson can't overcome him then that's fine.

5. raining threes

Or somebody like McCloughan who has proven to be one of the best talent evaluators in NFL history. He was a leader in building the 49ers under Harbaugh and the Seahawks under Schnieder, Carroll. He also put most of the talent that's currently on the Redskins roster.

I feel as though the Packers org has been living on Favre, Rodgers back for the last decade. Although I'm willing to admit I could be wrong.

6. Mr. Clutch

He has a good track record but apparently was fired from the Redskins job for issues with alcoholism.

Not sure if he's looking to get back in the league

7. showa13

showa13 Member

Draft is deep with OLine, and when we have our first and second next year we can draft more OLinemen. We should focus on drafting OLinemen over the next 2 drafts. But FA should focus on fixing the secondary and getting another pass rusher.

raining threes likes this.
  8. raining threes

I respect your opinion, we see O'Brien differently, I see him as an above avg HC that had trouble picking a QB. His teams have actually overachieved their talent level before this season. I mean he won a playoff game with BO at qb. I know you disagree with me on this but this team isn't that talented.

red5rocket, mario_v and panamamyers like this.
  9. showa13

showa13 Member

Also looks like Jimmy Graham isn’t returning to Seattle. He’s prob gonna be expensive but I’d at least gauge interest. Offense would be a nightmare to stop

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

He currently has a lawsuit filed against the Redskins for wrongful termination.

I dont care if a guy is an alcoholic if he can put the best talent possible on the field on Sunday's.

11. Mr. Clutch

I agree but we don't know if he wants an NFL job. He also resigned from Seattle for personal issues

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Denver won a SB with BO as statistically the best QB on their roster.....I just think we overrate BOB due to how well RAC's defenses have played. Either way, I guess we'll see what happens. For what it's worth, I hope you're right about BOB and I'm completely off base about him. Hopefully we're having a completely different conversation this time next year. .

13. raining threes

I've read that he wants another job once the lawsuit is settled. (I dont remember where.)

14. showa13

showa13 Member

You were wrong about Deshaun ;)

No Worries likes this.
  15. raining threes

Agreed, since he's going to get an extension.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Let’s hope that’s only after a highly successful season next year.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Do you think he'll start somewhere next year? Serious question.

Seems like Buffalo has no confidence in him.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'll be on a roster for sure, will he start? I dunno about that, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing.

19. Mr. Clutch

I think he will, and he'll be too expensive a backup for us. With our holes we should carry a low salary backup

He'd be an upgrade at at least a few places.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I sense a trend.