1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. The GM ain't the only one mediocre. But good luck. I hope they make it

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I never said I think they have the fifth best roster. The chart did. The same chart that you all wanted to use to whine and complain because of two positions groups also said they were among the best at two other position groups and 5th best overall in the AFC.

And stop making excuses for the GM. This is very fixable.

3. Texanstradamus

Free agency tampeing period don’t start till Monday relax

4. raining threes

But he and the McNair's were the only constants.

You can talk about BOB all you want. Tell me why couldn't Kubiak win a SB here?

5. raining threes

I didn't quote any chart. I'm just telling you this is a roster full of hurt superstars with no depth at all. It's not going to be a 1 year easy fix. But since you think it's going to be an easy fix, tell us how you would go about fixing things in 1 year?

BTW, this could even be a longer term fix than either one of us think if DW4 doesn't comeback healthy.

#505 raining threes, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

But they were building something. With Kubiak before the meltdown and OBrien post-meltdown. Remember the next man up season? With all the injuries yet still 10-6? Remember the QB carousel and yet 9-7? We have had good rosters. And we have had good coaching. A lot of bad luck and a lot of mistakes by both front office and coaching staff.

Injuries. Lisfranc being the biggest culprit. Schaub was playing better than Manning was the year he won with Denver. Arian was better than RB he had that year. Mario doesn't get hurt and the defense is probably just as good.

7. raining threes

I just love how you discount BOB's 9-7 with bad QB play and the fact that with that bad QB play he accomplished as much in 3 yrs getting the Texans to and winning a playoff game as Kubiak did in 10 years.

I see now that you're a Smith- Kubiak fan. I hope you enjoyed the mediocrity.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well maybe you shouldn't jump in the conversation without knowing how it started.

The roster can be fixed. Solder, Pugh, Butler, Joseph plus Demps, and other backups.

Or
    Fleming, Norwell, Trumaine And Boston.

What bout Fleming, Pugh, Brauland, And Boston?

They have the cap space. It can be done.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Can you read? I just said they were able to go 9-7 with the QB carousel. I don't know where you get the idea that I don't like the coach. I never and still don't want him fired. I just think he needs some be with who he hires on staff.

10. raining threes

I agree it can be done, if McNair is willing to let Gaine spend the $$$$. I've got my doubts. You will probably get 2 of the lesser guys you listed and Demps. That would be the McNair way.

11. raining threes

Be with who he hire on his staff?

What does that even mean?

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

So if he doesn't do it, it must be McNairs fault? Funny how that excuse was never made for the previous GM. No excuses.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

He needs help with who hires on his staff. And he needs an offensive coordinator.

14. raining threes

We agree on this.

He needs an OC , my biggest gripe with BOB is his game mgmt, hiring an OC should help with this. Any HC would demand that he gets to hire his own coaching staff.

15. raining threes

I've always thought McNair was cheap, but RS brought in the Allen's/Reed's etct of the world and paid them decent money. (Not great money)

McNair put constraints on who RS could bring in such as drafting Peters/Justin Houston ect.... Hopefully this changes or the Texans org will never win anything.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sounds like you are making excuses for him too. He has made the hiring decisions. No one else cares about Izzo, Welker, Vrabel, etc. Those are all Brown's guys. Maybe he needs someone forced on him (like Wade was for Kubiak).

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

McNair wasn't cheap with Joseph, Manning, Ed Reed, Wilfork, and Brock.

18. texian

texian Member

He and Rick backed up the truck for Brock.

He’s not cheap, he just needs to stop participating in player acquisition decisions because he’s out of his depth.

You understand that had we drafted Peters — and nobody here thought that would be wise — that we would be in the exact same situation that KC was in with him. Some may think KevJo puts us in close to same situation — so be it — but the Jones fractures and other injuries were less predictable than the Peters outcome.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

You guys need to follow the Texans fan page; they are close to the Texans front office it seems

Rudyc281, red5rocket and donkeypunch like this.