1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We don’t know he wasn’t offered anything. Could have been and just didn’t think it was the right number.
    He does think very highly of himself

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm already 100 miles closer to New Orleans than most of Houston. But it would cost me a year's income to attend.

jch1911 likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm sure offers were made, but maybe he had an inflated opinion of his worth to the Texans since he had 5 of his 13 career INTs last season. When the team didn't offer what he expected, he decided to call them out. Once the bridge with the Texans was burnt, he learned his value to the NFL was pretty low.

Would not surprise me at all if he "unretires" and signs with a team prior to the season.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...bill-obrien-texans-coach-mistake-19506573.php

…Appearing on Sunday’s episode of “Next Up with Adam Breneman” alongside Breneman and Christian Hackenburg, O’Brien admitted he made a mistake by taking over as the Texans' general manager in 2020.

Brian Gaine was fired as Texans general manager in 2019 after just one season at the helm. O’Brien told Breneman and Hackenburg that the Texans tried to hire a replacement, but couldn’t land the candidates they wanted to fill the job. Although O'Brien didn't mention names, the Texans were interested in Nick Caserio at the time but the Patriots put a halt to that by accusing the Texans of tampering with their employee. The Texans eventually landed Caserio as their general manager in 2021.

With the Texans unable to hire Caserio in 2019, O’Brien and Jack Easterby — who O’Brien never mentioned by name on the podcast, referring to him as “another guy” or “somebody else” — ran the team with O’Brien officially given the general manager title in 2020.

“In the end, that’s not who I am,” O’Brien said. “That’s another lesson learned. I didn’t really enjoy being the GM. I didn’t enjoy negotiating contracts. In some respects, I lost relationships with some of the guys I was coaching. In my opinion, there’s very few guys in the history of football that can ever do that and they’re the greatest of the greats. I feel like I’m a good coach, I feel like I can coach, but those things I’m not great at. I can evaluate talent, I know how to evaluate talent, but I shouldn’t be negotiating contracts and things like that. In the end, that was a mistake by me. I wish I really didn’t do that to be really honest with you.”

A couple months after taking over as general manager, O’Brien traded All-Pro receiver DeAndre Hopkins to the Cardinals for running back David Johnson and a second-round pick. In the only draft with O’Brien in charge, the Texans used their top pick on defensive tackle Ross Blacklock in the second round. Blacklock underwhelmed in his two seasons in Houston and has since been released by three separate teams.

O’Brien pointed out that he also was behind the team trading for All-Pro left tackle Laremy Tunsil, who still is with the Texans.

“And there’s other examples of guys that we brought in there that were really good players that we made decisions when I was general manager or when I was doing it with somebody else (Easterby), so it wasn’t like it was all terrible,” O’Brien said. “Now, the media narrative is that it’s terrible.”

jch1911 likes this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

O'Brien fails to point out he was fleeced by Cards AND Dolphins (esp. because Tunsil was due a big contract).

Glad the adults are back in the building.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The first step in this rebuild was keeping Caserio when many wanted a TOTAL REPLACEMENT including the owner. Caserio has worked well with authoritarians and even better with consensus builders.

Someone remembered not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

7. conquistador#11

Nick 'Cesario' needs to humble himself? Talking too much. Those other GMs have families!

Uprising, DUCK2324 and percicles like this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's funny. I never really thought about it or noticed, but it does feel a little circle-jerky. Not really a big deal but not a difference I would have ever noticed.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tunsil was traded for basically the same package as Jalen Ramsey. He was not fleeced. 2 1st for an All-Pro ( what he turned out to be) that is still with the team is a fair deal. The Hopkins trade on the other hand…was a bad deal.

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Hopkins was def a bad deal.... but Tunsil was also egregious.

Miami was ALWAYS going to draft Tua and knew an expensive LT was not the way to go for a left-handed QB.
    Miami also knew Tunsil was going to want a new contract.
    At most, that compensation is a 1st & a 3rd (living in South Florida and friends with several Dolfan season ticket holders & reading the press down here, the Doplhins would have been ECSTATIC receiving a 1st & 3rd for Tunsil).
    Tunsil had been to 1 Pro Bowl at that point (2019). To be fair, he didn't even play tackle IIRC until his 2nd year.
    The Texans gave up 2 firsts AND a 2nd (albeit that 2nd was offset by Stills & a 4th). :eye roll:
    Coming off 11-5 (2018) and 10-6 (2019), you're expecting those picks to be in the 20ish range.
    Obvi the wheels fall off and those first round picks end up top 5 - making it even worse.

Go back and look at the press back then. I don't remember anybody - outside of Houston - saying Htown did good in that trade.

Hindsight says probably a good deal, but at the time, definite fleecing.

houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

13. Texanstradamus

So what are y’all expectations for the Texans I’m saying they have to make the AFC title game

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I need an AFC title game. I can think this is one of, if not THE most talented full team we have ever had while also having a good coach and a good GM. We also have some ridiculously strong opponents out there for the foreseeable future. But we gotta have our best season while we have our best Texans…

Please……

red5rocket likes this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the team is definitely capable of winning it all, but my threshold of disappointment is probably getting to the AFC conference title game. Unless they get matched up in the divisional round with someone that ends up going to the Superbowl. But overall I think this is the best Texans team we have ever seen, so I expect them to get further than any other prior Texans team has been, and we've seen plenty of divisional and wildcard playoff games at this point.

16. Fantasma Negro

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

After a thorough review of the Philadelphia Eagles signing of Saquon Barkley, the NFL today informed the club that the investigation did not discover sufficient evidence to support a finding that the Anti-Tampering Policy was violated. In coming to this conclusion, the league reviewed phone logs, text messages and other documents related to Philadelphia’s free agency strategy and decision to sign Barkley. The NFL also interviewed several members of the organization, including Howie Roseman and Nick Sirianni, as well as Barkley and Penn State head coach James Franklin. As with every review, should new evidence be uncovered, the league may reopen the investigation.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Still due soon: Jordan Love, Dak Prescott, Tua, Purdy

No telling where it will be in 3 years. Stroud 65 million? 70? :eek::D

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

No Worries likes this.