1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. raining threes

I wouldn't consider giving up a 1st this yr for Jefferson (Hopefully Thomas will be there to draft with 1-23) for Jefferson and the cost of Jefferson a 2025 1st plus a 4 yr 120 mil deal that you can get out of after yr 3 to be unreasonable for the 2nd best WR in the NFL. That's the deal Hill got.

I think I would probably sit tight, go cheap and draft Thomas in the 1st if I wanted to go WR. But there's always a case to be made for adding one of the best players in the NFL to the team. Look at what Diggs did for Allen.

2. raining threes

You would really only be giving up one 1st because Jefferson would be the equivalent of a 1st and the 2nd best WR in the NFL is worth more than just a 1st.

3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

This past season was a revelation on several fronts but one thing seemed to remain status quo, and that was a less than desirable Oline performance.
    Fortunately for Texans, they lucked into a crazy good performance from a rookie QB that made them look better than they actually were with his play that elevated the WR corp as well.
    CJs ability to throw the ball like a top 5 seasoned pro also took a lot of pressure off the ground game so the obvious conclusion is it was all on him.
    That was a lot of responsibility to put on a rookie yet he handled it masterfully.
    Still, we cannot allow that to be the norm and we have to take some of the pressure off him.
    We have two very good WRs so that is a low priority.
    The running back corp otoh is a bit thin with only Singletary seemingly able to perform at an acceptable level and Dameon Pierce unfortunately could not repeat his rookie season performance and none else was able to come close to match motor's season so it it imperative we get him some help.
    So this all comes comes down to the oline.
    Yes we have plenty of guys on the roster but quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality.
    One more stud at our current weakest position on that line will elevate the whole line and the ground game and the passing game and take pressure off CJ.
    I think it is imperative we upgrade that line especially with the murderers row of Dlines we will face this year and we can bring in a seasoned vet so there is no guessing.
    Gotta happen.

#683 Wattafan, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yes. Market value is what they are worth which if accurate, leaves zero excess value.
    While we had an excellent RT, he was playing poorly out of position at LG to protect CJ and allow Fant to play his position. Many of the problems can be fixed with a little health and returning players to their best position. I will bet Pierce has a higher Y/C in 2024, though I don't know how many chances he'll get if the coaches have given up on him like many fans.

5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I appreciate your input MB, but if the injury woes continue, we will once again be relying on a patchwork Oline and we have a real window of opportunity while CJ is on his rookie deal.
    Bring in a decent and durable vet who is good at both pass and run pro and we know our ground game will be better as will CJs protection.
    Even half a second will give CJ more opportunities during the course of a game.
    I definitely do not want to see CJ suffer another concussion.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I know everyone is in a WIN NOW mode, but just consider a strategy of moving down the draft to pick up additional choices and/or future choices so we don lose everyone when we pay Stroud. Even now we can stretch contracts to 2 or more years with early bonuses and less guaranteed money and stockpile 25 and 26 draft choices. If you want an extended window, you have to plan for it.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Who? Instead of just saying that our heavily invested OLine that has had less than a season all together in a brand new scheme isn’t good enough, tell me who you would add.
    A first round draft pick? So we can spend yet another season saying they need time to gel now too?
    An impactful vet? Who is available?

it’s not just “quantity instead of quality” we have arguably the best left tackle in the game. Both centers we drafted LAST YEAR played pretty well, Mason has been a vet we went and got, which is what you are suggesting again, and Howard has been great at RT when healthy. So just LG, where we have a first rounder trying to get healthy. Who are you spending our money or draft picks on that will make a bigger impact than filling other needs?

DB/DL/LB/WR/RB/TE all need to come before we start adding more OL imo.

cbass likes this.
  8. raining threes

By year 7 or 8 the window will be closed.

9. raining threes

My suggestion is to not play him or any other guy that you want to keep healthy on Met Life field.

cbass and houstonstime like this.
  10. cbass

cbass Member

The window will be open as long as CJ is on the roster

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

You'll get no argument about the defense and RB from me!
    TE? Well we have Schultz so we need to resign him - and Brevin Jordan is looking decent but I do see TE as a positive move especially if you can get a good dual role guy that can help the blocking as well as the receiving. Two for one so to speak.
    A dual role RB is also desirable especially if he can block as well so if you can get that TE or RB or better, both, that relieves the need to draft a WR up high or at all.
    I guess I just want to see an Oline that elevates the whole offense, but that's just me.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree on TE, that’s why I listed it last. I put it on there because we need to get someone, but yes, we have Schultz maybe and Jordan.

I agree on the OLine, I just think we may already have it we just need to give them time. At least one full off-season. A scheme change is MAJOR. Look at what happened to Pierce. Do we really think the OLine from 2022 AND Pierce both got worse? Or could it be that 5 guys are learning a new scheme completely and the RB is not really a fit for that design?

if the OLine is equally as bad and injured next year, I will shut up and fully support getting OL help. But we have to give them a chance, too much talent and resources on the OL to just keep wasting picks and money. At the very least we have the best pass blocking LT in the league protecting Stroud. Now get him someone to hand it off to and and someone to drop a deep ball on.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You have to pay him. Texans gave other needs. You don’t spend $25 million plus picks on a WR and $30 million on a 30 year old DT (Chris Jones) When you still need a RB, TE, MLB, CB, DE, and Safety.

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

On the defense, it's a mystery to me why Pitre regressed this year. Ryans has shown he can elevate everyone else on that D except Pitre! A head scratcher fer sure. You can either replace him or move him around or hopefully the light comes on in this defense for him.
    Nice to see Stingley finally look like the guy he was in school but Steven Nelson is either getting an extension or replaced.
    I love Cashman and we need to retain his services and Christian Harris is looking like a stud in the making.
    Hopefully Henry Too Too can show a sophomore jump this season.
    Similar to the Oline, the Dline is the foundation for the defense and some more push up front would be really helpful for the guys behind them and create opportunities for more turnovers.
    Greenard is either going to be paid or replace him with someone of equal cost/value.
    A big run stuffer with plenty of push up front would elevate the whole Frontline.
    I look forward to seeing who they bring in on this D with the nice market on FA available.

houstonstime likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

#695 J.R., Feb 27, 2024
  16. Buck Turgidson

lol

So did BoB with the Texans.

raining threes likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

$22M-$24M? Nah, I’m out. He’s good, not great. And was in a contract year. Not doing Mercilus 2.0.

#698 J.R., Feb 27, 2024
    Rudyc281, tc0330 and jch1911 like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. raining threes

The window will be closed when Stroud starts to eat up to much of the cap. Which will be in about 6-7 years.

Give me Shaq Barrett at 6-7 mil, re-sign Barnett and draft Booker in the 2nd.