1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. raining threes

I would be very happy with McConkey in rd 2 or 3. I think he goes right around 3-85.

ApacheWarrior and Sooty like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All 3 are 26 years old, and Singletary averaged the most yards per carry. If we hadn't used Pierce so much the first half of the season he would have had more carries and yards too. He also never lost a fumble like the other two, and didn't miss near as many games for injuries as Barklay.

Singletary 216 carries 898 yards 4.2 YDS per carry

Pollard 252 carries 1,005 yards 4.0 YDS per carry

Barkley 247 carries 962 yards 3.9 YDS per carry

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We are not suggesting Singletary is better than Saquon are we??
    You put saquon on this team, with this scheme, and with cj stroud, I GUARANTEE you he has more yards per carry than singletary..

saquon had those stats missing 3 games while singletary missed 1.

Fulgore, Sooty and javal_lon like this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Ain't no way someone suggesting this.. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I've never seen a defensive back get humiliated more on a single play than Ol' Miss #7 at the 40 second mark.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

McCaffery has one season (not counting his 3 game covid year) with fewer than 4.5 Y/C, Saquan has two sub 4 Y/C seasons (also not counting covid).

In terms of being the 2nd best RB in the NFL, I'd put Kyren Williams above him, who was on pace to lead the NFL in rushing yards had he not played only twelve games. James Conner fits the bill as well, both averaged 5 YPC on heavy volume, nearly a yard more than Barkley.

7. raining threes

You're just looking at numbers. I'm looking at things like being able to run pass patterns, pass pro etc...

Like I said I would put the money elsewhere, but Barkley is a weapon.

red5rocket likes this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t put anyone in CMCs tier but put Saquon in this system with CJ and I guarantee he thrives. Remember, he doesn’t have to be CMC. He just needs to be the best version of Saquon and that’s a powerful offense. Dare I say, CJ can do the rest? He’ll have Nico, Tank and hopefully another new weapon on the outside.

I’m also okay with not getting him. Swift, James Conner (like someone just mentioned), Jonathon Brooks and Bucky Irving sound good to me.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I would have believe Dameon Pierce would be successful too. Perhaps he will eventually adapt as others have on defense after a slow start. Perhaps the fit with this scheme just isn't there.

The only thing I have observed is a high injury rate with this scheme which makes our depth more important than in other schemes. This precludes spending all your resources on the starting 22-25 and reallocating it to 26-53. We only have one OL player that started every game and he had to play out of his natural position.

But in the old days, this is the reason they built from the line to the skill positions because they had to gell together to be most effective.

LT Tunsil 2027
    LG Scruggs 2027
    C Patterson 2027
    RG Mason 2027
    RT Howard 2027

If they can stay healthy, this group has time to gell.

#249 Marshall Bryant, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    raining threes likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

A 10-7 record with next year's schedule would be a BIG IMPROVEMENT, not treading water.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If Derrick Henry were the player being discussed, I can see why you would mention DP. Neither fit this scheme therefore shouldn’t be on the roster. Both are power, downhill runners. Sucks because I like both.

raining threes likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wondering if assistant DL coach Rod Wright will get the nod. It was reported he was going to take the DL job at UT but then it fell through all of a sudden.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I know is that Singletary said he wants to run it back with the Texans, and he certainly outplayed his $2.75 million dollar contract. What would it take? I don't know what he's asking for but Barklay's Projected contract is four years, $47,787,964. I'd rather save that extra money to use on a defensive player who is better at rushing the passer in FA.

In the past 5 years Singletary has played in 78 games with an average of 4.6 yards per carry. In the past 6 years Barklay played 74 games with 4.3 yards per carry.

In the past 2 years Singletary averaged 4.4 yards per carry in 33 games and Barklay averaged 4.15 YDS per carry in 30 games.

Career Reception rate Singletary 72%, Barklay 76%

Do you think Barklay is going to start averaging 6 yards per carry for the first time after 6 years or something that significant? We do know our pass rush needs improving. I'd prioritize on that in FA. We are in a division with quarterbacks who love to pass the ball deep, and a great pass rush would be a huge plus.

Barklay might thrive in our system but Singletary should do better next year as well, with our offensive line healthier and a second year in the system as the lead RB. I do know he hasn't missed as many games due to injuries and that's a nice plus.

#253 deb4rockets, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

This. Defense loaded up to stop Barkley. Hard to have a chance when Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor are your qbs. If you can get him for a fair price you gotta take a shot. Would still draft a speed back in 3rd or 4th rd.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Having a weapon like Barkley in the run game would really open up the pass game.... when he's healthy.

That said, I don't think any RB is worth big money and a lot of years so I'd rather go with someone like Henry on a one year and have Singletary as insurance.

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Edelman of our day.

I feel Tez Walker or Brian Thomas next to Nico could give us Lynn Swann/Stallworth vibe.

Kiper has us taking Chris Braswell....but id stick with Greenard.

Formula of:
    *Stoud accuracy with throws 70 yards deep
    as his range.

*Receivers: Nico/Tank/McConkey/Tez......
    Metchie/Hutchinson [ lose Noah Brown & ?Robert Woods?]
    (teams would need to go 6 DB's vs
    our 4 out sets.....less men in the box with grith)

*This in turn opens up our running game: Jacobs/Bucky Irving

One guy i would like to move is Scruggs to Center.

So with Patrick Queen, Jacobs, then the money left over
    can cover Shultz, Nelson, Greenard, Fairbain, OG

First 3 draft picks as skilled offensive positions, the rest can
    shore up O-line and D-line. Just my opinion. O-line having
    one year under their belt together.

O-line can get better with continuity.

sydmill and raining threes like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It not the running back guys. It’s the line. They get no push in the run game.

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Pierce is a downhill runner. This scheme needs a RB that can find holes and make people miss vs running through them. Also need to be able to block them pop out and be a receiving back. This is Saquon.
    Yes, give the OLine time to gel before we replace second year players with new rookies.

raining threes and javal_lon like this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Singletary has played with Josh Allen and CJ Stroud as his QB, BarkLEY has played with Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor… safe to say the defense can decide who it wants to focus on… and BarkLEY is still averaging within .5 yards of Singletary.

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Can't just look at small sample sized stats to say Singletary is a better option than Saquan.. That's ridiculous and basic as ****... Now if say cost, injuries, and unfamiliarity is the reason against Saquan, I can dig it.. The fan in me says go for Saquan cause it'd be on and popping on Kirby.. . The armchair GM in me says let's go cheaper route and hope for the best..

raining threes and red5rocket like this.