1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[unofficial 2017 ALDS] Red Sox vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Oct 3, 2017.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Those $200 million dollars expectations. 1-5 in the last two playoffs will get you canned.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All that's left now is to sweep the Yankees (Girardi fired) followed by a sweep of the Nationals (Baker fired).

fiersdownbelow and MadMax like this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Chandler Parsons faints

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He won a World Series, so it isn't as if he isn't like he can't win in the playoffs. Crazy. If Hinch wins the World Series this year, he better never get fired following back to back division titles.

5. juicystream

I'd love to have that happen, but Baker wouldn't get fired after losing the WS. Losing today is a different matter.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Think of the WAIT as GREAT -- for JV's arm.

Game 2 will be 4 days rest.

7. Buck Turgidson

Beat the Cards in '05...they tear down their stadium. Beat the Sox...they fire the manager.

We're a freaking wrecking crew.

MadMax likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With all their starting pitching woes, I am surprised they didn't stretch out Price in September. Perhaps it's just something that couldn't be done given his health. Or if they thought 2 games of long relief would be better than 1-2 starts a series. Seriously, Doug Fister in game 3? With the Red Sox payroll, it is inexcusable for Fister to be a game 3 starter.

Nook likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

i'm going to watch the native americans vs. the yanks not knowing who to cheer for. Both are talented teams.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Teams can't stand to see their teams lose to the Astros. Still looking down their nose at us.

boomboom likes this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

I hear you. The Yankees pitching is scary. It seems like they all throw 99/100 but after seeing how futile we were against the Tribe earlier in the season and how well we played the Yankees.... I really would prefer the Yankees. That doesn't guarantee us anything of course ... this is baseball after all.... but if I had to choose I would not hesitate.

Uprising likes this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree. Even when the Indians weren't playing very well, I still said that team was the one that scared me the most.

Fyreball and Uprising like this.
  13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Incredible momentum.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's my interpretation.
    There was a stat mentioned --- Yankees didn't throw a fastball under 96 mph after a certain point last game, maybe the entire game.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This series has been over. We need an alcs thread to post in.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That was fun to re watch... now to find the Beltran double that won the game...

17. juicystream

Doug Fister in game 3 didn't make much sense. I realize they didn't want to go with Eduardo after we had just crushed him, but Rick Porcello would have been a better option (though he ultimately did get a start).

Boston had their whole offense basically take a step back. They lost Wright for the year and they had the David Price issue. If they hadn't acquired Pomeranz and Sale last year they'd have been awful this year.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Thank you! The silence from all 3 of them (esp Pierz) after the HR and while he rounded the bases, is deafening

Fulgore and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. right1

right1 Member

That's hilarious. Like 10 or 12 seconds of complete silence.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think the Yankees are better than the Indians; I really do. At the very least, they're *as good* as the Indians. They both have exceptional bullpens. The Indians have the best starting pitcher; the Yankees have the best position player. After that.............

I don't want to "yeah but..." the Indians - but sooooooo much of their greatness was wrapped up in an unsustainable 22-game win streak. They were 80-60, otherwise - a 93-win pace. And their run differential during the 22 games (+105) very nearly equals their run differential for their other 140 games (+149) - that's just crazy-insane and such a total outlier.

I think the Astros are better than both teams - and while nothing in the postseason would outright surprise me, I'll be pretty disappointed if the Astros don't win the AL.

So I don't necessarily *want* the Yankees; but I prefer four games at home. (Plus, if they play the Yankees, all four of the Astros potential home games would be Friday night or Saturday, and that's muuuuuuch better from a work perspective.)

#3820 Hey Now!, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017